Promised trailer features

The family tree part is mentioned in the Developer Journal: Scaling.

if you look after your animals well, you can witness ENTIRE GENERATIONS living out their lives, allowing you to TRACE A LINEAGE back to the FIRST RELATIVES ARRIVING in your zoo. The genetics of these FAMILY TREES also plays a factor in animal scaling with genes being passed from parent to child.

source: developer journal scaling

Just as a small example.

So, I have issue with using this statement as a confirmation that they "promised" that actual, physical, automatic, family trees would be available in game.

It seems that people are taking this statement and turning it in to more than it is.

Its just fluff words for saying that your animals breed and die and then breed again and if you take the time to look at them occasionally you can see this happening. No where have I ever seen them say that a Family Tree would be a confirmed in-game feature that you can look at in an in-game menu.

Would I like to have a family tree? Certainly! But taking this statement as some kind "promise" for a feature is just kind of nuts.

You can trace a lineage in any game that has breeding mechanics with enough patience and a notebook or skill in Excel or Photoshop.

You can trace a lineage in any game that has breeding mechanics with enough patience and a notebook or skill in Excel or Photoshop.

Indeed. I used to use a tiny notebook to keep track of breeding in the original Zoo Tycoon - and I was a little kid at the time. I don't bother so much now. I'm holding onto hope that somehow inbreeding my tigers will produce a genetic mutation so I can have white tigers in sandbox. Even though I know that isn't how it works (or at least suspect it).

It seems that people are taking this statement and turning it in to more than it is.

Tbh, in that case you can debunk the other points as well:

--"Each animal is unique" : All animals have differents stats, different sizes and scars
--Animal "personalities" : Males can be agressive but also ignore some other males.. Some hang around more near certain items (could be coincidence) , some animals prevent other animals from breeding
--Educational aspect : We have a zoopedia (even if you think some info is incorrect)

We were never told the extend/details of these features..

Last edited:
You will get the virtuall consumer award 2019 provided by traders. Im 100% sure on that point. You are the most perfect consumer they be able to imagine. Not that they dont need to deliver what they promise (at least a working product).. no no,.. you are willing to pay them, so they can finish the promissed product. If you want to give me your money, i can give you a lot of unfinished things - some of them are not even startet yet. Deal? - Facepalm (a big fat one!)

A customer who makes grand assumptions with their interpretation of stated planned features, and considers those assumptions as "promises" seems a bit more off-kilter than one who is a little more reasonable. Just mho.
Even when a developer states point-blank, and quite directly, what is planned for a game is in no way making any kind of promise. There's absolutely no such thing as a promise when it comes to game features until the game is gold and on the market. Part of the development process involves changing features, cutting features, adding features, as time goes on. That's just how the industry works. It's unreasonable to assume or believe otherwise if you live in the real world.

That doesn't mean you, or I, should stop asking for, or even demanding, features that we want that aren't here yet. That's also how the industry works. But it's disingeneous to approach it as "BUT YOU PROMISED!". Just say what you want, and if enough other people agree it might happen.

Last edited:
I've gone through some of the livestreams and a few journals and the most obvious one is the Scaling journal since its all about content we dont have with the family tree and scaling as someone already mentioned.

Top Bottom