Proposals for the "too many FCs in some systems" issue

Pre-face:
The are a lot of FCs parked in systems of high interest (e.g. in engineer systems, crystal shard sites, or at the Peak). Some of them do not move at all during an extended period of time (months), and do not offer any service for the public (or the owner). Some of them are simply abandoned (e.g. real life priorities or playing other games, or waiting for EDO to be in better shape, or ...). They are not decommissioned because the owners have acquired enough wealth to be able to pay the weekly maintenance fees for years (specially when parked at the Peak).

Some FCs are parked somewhere on purpose (e.g. DSSA FCs).

The problem which I think needs to be solved is, that some systems accumulate over time more and more abandoned FCs and as such are taking limited parking space and get in the way of "satisfactory game-play" for the active players.

What I ask the community to comment on are use cases which I may have overlooked and which my proposals would prevent, or better proposals. And there's off course the hope that FDev would pick-up a proposal in the end and implement it (depending on priorities with performance issues and bugs off course being much more important).

The short version of the 3 proposals I want to present here are:
  1. Special long term parking orbit in a quiet area of the system (auto-move of the FCs), if there was not activity on the FCs for x time units (e.g. 3 months).
  2. Let FCs disappear like the ships disappear on logout, if there was not activity on the FCs for x time units (e.g. 3 months).
  3. Incremental long term parking fee in populated systems (with some conditions, see below).

The long version of the proposals:

1) Special long term parking orbit in a quiet area of the system:
After a timeout of x time units (e.g. 3 months) and more than x% of parking spots occupied (50%?), move the FC automatically to a long-term parking orbit which doesn't attribute to parking limits (and can not be reached by normal FC jumps), but is far out in the system (e.g. 100 kLs, or double the distance between the star and the last planet or something like that).​
The activities which should reset the long-term parking counter could be:​
  • selling or buying something in the FC commodity marked (to prevent a ridiculous high/low sell/buy price when there is a sell/buy marked order but nobody buys/sells)
  • use of active services (e.g. refuel, repair, rearm)
  • someone docked on the FC
  • changes by the owner (enable/disable services, transfer money to/from FC, set a tariff, a micro-jump within the system, ...)
The positive part of this proposal is that active FCs stay where they are, populated and unpopulated systems are covered, and all FCs are visible all the time. DSSA FCs should stay in their position with this proposal (as they wouldn't reach the x%-occupied condition).​
The negative part about this proposal would be how to explain this in the lore... taking 5t Tritium from the depot may not be possible (I would not mind if the pilots federation would donate those 5t for the micro-jump if it is not possible, surely possible in populated systems (5t donation by a faction to move to the long-term parking orbit), logically a little bit difficult at e.g. the crystal shards sites).​

2) Let FCs disappear like the ships disappear on logout, if there was not activity on the FCs for x time units:
Ships/SRVs/Cmdrs disappear when the user logs out. FCs stay visible until they reach the x time units (e.g. 3 months) long-term parking counter timeout, then they disappear like the ships, and re-instantiate when there is activity. The long-term parking counter also needs to reset on activity.​
Activity in this case could be:​
  • the owner gets into the game
  • someone who is docked on the FC gets into the game (or someone docks before the timeout is reached)
  • if the FC is locked to the squadron and someone from the squadron logs into the game (this may put unwanted pressure on the DB servers, and maybe it's overkill)
Re-instantiating would put the FC back in the same orbit as before the timeout, if possible, or in a long-time parking orbit if not possible. The special long-time parking orbit would need to be a little bit far away... maybe 100 kLs around the star. There is the possibility that this puts the system over the system-parking-limit, and my proposal would be to make another FC disappear, which would get into the timeout next. The FC which show up in this special parking orbit should trigger an in-game message to the owner about moving it away from the long-term parking orbit and a much shorter activity timeout (maybe a week) while it is in the long-term parking orbit.​
Note: if you think this will get into your "my FC buys Painite from players" game-play... if nobody has sold a tonne to your FC in e.g. 3 months (which would reset the counter), your FC is not in a good place and 3 more months will not give you what you want.​
The positive part about this is, that it covers populated and unpopulated systems, and is lore-wise on the same level as disappearing ships on logout.​

3) Incremental long term parking fee in populated systems:
In the weekly maintenance add a parking fee after x time units (e.g. 3 month) of parking without activity in a populated system. The parking fee should increase by time (linear or progressively, TBD, for the purpose of getting rid of abandoned FCs a progressive fee with a very high limit (if at all) would be better).​
  • selling or buying something in the FC commodity marked (to prevent a ridiculous high/low sell/buy price when there is a sell/buy marked order but nobody buys/sells)
  • changes by the owner (enable/disable services, transfer money to/from FC, set a tariff, a micro-jump within the system, ...)
The positive part about this proposal is that FCs will run into decommission much faster, with active use cases being automatically triggering a reset of long term parking fee. This will cover only populated systems and as such should not affect FCs out in the black (like DSSA FCs). It will over time empty really abandoned FCs in engineering systems and the Peak. Lore wise a parking fee in populated systems is self-explanatory and doesn't need any special treatment.​
The negative part is: it doesn't cover unpopulated systems (e.g. the crystal shard or guardian sites).​

Hoping for some constructive comments,
Cmdr netchild.

Ceterum censeo FCs should be POIs. No messing with the system map and you can put an (theoretically) infinite amount of them in each system. Space is big.
POIs don't exist beyond each player's PC, so that won't work.

Pre-face:
The are a lot of FCs parked in systems of high interest (e.g. in engineer systems, crystal shard sites, or at the Peak). Some of them do not move at all during an extended period of time (months), and do not offer any service for the public (or the owner). Some of them are simply abandoned (e.g. real life priorities or playing other games, or waiting for EDO to be in better shape, or ...). They are not decommissioned because the owners have acquired enough wealth to be able to pay the weekly maintenance fees for years (specially when parked at the Peak).

Some FCs are parked somewhere on purpose (e.g. DSSA FCs).

The problem which I think needs to be solved is, that some systems accumulate over time more and more abandoned FCs and as such are taking limited parking space and get in the way of "satisfactory game-play" for the active players.

What I ask the community to comment on are use cases which I may have overlooked and which my proposals would prevent, or better proposals. And there's off course the hope that FDev would pick-up a proposal in the end and implement it (depending on priorities with performance issues and bugs off course being much more important).

The short version of the 3 proposals I want to present here are:
  1. Special long term parking orbit in a quiet area of the system (auto-move of the FCs), if there was not activity on the FCs for x time units (e.g. 3 months).
  2. Let FCs disappear like the ships disappear on logout, if there was not activity on the FCs for x time units (e.g. 3 months).
  3. Incremental long term parking fee in populated systems (with some conditions, see below).

The long version of the proposals:

1) Special long term parking orbit in a quiet area of the system:
After a timeout of x time units (e.g. 3 months) and more than x% of parking spots occupied (50%?), move the FC automatically to a long-term parking orbit which doesn't attribute to parking limits (and can not be reached by normal FC jumps), but is far out in the system (e.g. 100 kLs, or double the distance between the star and the last planet or something like that).​
The positive part of this proposal is that active FCs stay where they are, populated and unpopulated systems are covered, and all FCs are visible all the time. DSSA FCs should stay in their position with this proposal (as they wouldn't reach the x%-occupied condition).​
The negative part about this proposal would be how to explain this in the lore... taking 5t Tritium from the depot may not be possible (I would not mind if the pilots federation would donate those 5t for the micro-jump if it is not possible, surely possible in populated systems (5t donation by a faction to move to the long-term parking orbit), logically a little bit difficult at e.g. the crystal shards sites).​

2) Let FCs disappear like the ships disappear on logout, if there was not activity on the FCs for x time units:
Ships/SRVs/Cmdrs disappear when the user logs out. FCs stay visible until they reach the x time units (e.g. 3 months) long-term parking counter timeout, then they disappear like the ships, and re-instantiate when there is activity. The long-term parking counter also needs to reset on activity.​
Activity in this case could be:​
  • the owner gets into the game
  • someone who is docked on the FC gets into the game (or someone docks before the timeout is reached)
  • if the FC is locked to the squadron and someone from the squadron logs into the game (this may put unwanted pressure on the DB servers, and maybe it's overkill)
Re-instantiating would put the FC back in the same orbit as before the timeout, if possible, or in a long-time parking orbit if not possible. The special long-time parking orbit would need to be a little bit far away... maybe 100 kLs around the star. There is the possibility that this puts the system over the system-parking-limit, and my proposal would be to make another FC disappear, which would get into the timeout next. The FC which show up in this special parking orbit should trigger an in-game message to the owner about moving it away from the long-term parking orbit and a much shorter activity timeout (maybe a week) while it is in the long-term parking orbit.​
Note: if you think this will get into your "my FC buys Painite from players" game-play... if nobody has sold a tonne to your FC in e.g. 3 months (which would reset the counter), your FC is not in a good place and 3 more months will not give you what you want.​
The positive part about this is, that it covers populated and unpopulated systems, and is lore-wise on the same level as disappearing ships on logout.​

3) Incremental long term parking fee in populated systems:
In the weekly maintenance add a parking fee after x time units (e.g. 3 month) of parking without activity in a populated system. The parking fee should increase by time (linear or progressively, TBD, for the purpose of getting rid of abandoned FCs a progressive fee with a very high limit (if at all) would be better).​
The positive part about this proposal is that FCs will run into decommission much faster, with active use cases being automatically triggering a reset of long term parking fee. This will cover only populated systems and as such should not affect FCs out in the black (like DSSA FCs). It will over time empty really abandoned FCs in engineering systems and the Peak. Lore wise a parking fee in populated systems is self-explanatory and doesn't need any special treatment.​
The negative part is: it doesn't cover unpopulated systems (e.g. the crystal shard or guardian sites).​

Hoping for some constructive comments,
Cmdr netchild.

Honestly it all sounds overly complicated.

Just add a new module to the FC called the 'Transceiver Module'. It broadcasts the location of the FC. There are only so many 'bands' to broadcast on, and each higher band takes more energy, and therefore more power, to maintain.

So the first one in a system broadcasting costs, say, 500k/week. The next costs 750k/week. The next costs 1m/week. The next costs 1.5m/week. The next costs 2m/week. The next costs 3m/week. Then 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 18, 27, 45, 60, 90, 150, 225, 350, 500, 750, and 1b/week.

Or something like that. Probably a slightly lower curve than that, but capping out at about the same amount.

The basic idea being, the highest tiers will cost so much nobody would ever leave them on.

That way, players regulate themselves. Most carriers would be invisible. You could only drop in on them via wing nav lock.

I'd say it will be enough to force carriers out of engineer & CG systems.
Make them permit locked, issue CG permits for signing up.
Carriers in that system before lock can stay, but if the owner moves them out they are out.

All other "special" systems like Beagle, the Peak etc, or guardian sites aren't important enough imho.

Two suggestions: Don't show Carriers that the player doesn't have docking permission for (Squadron/Friends/Owner Only) on the system map + Nav Panel. They are less than useless clutter if you can't land on them.

And:
9cuexu10o0361.png

Issue due to making them personal carriers. Should have remained squadron assets, then there wouldn't be so many.
Doubtful, as the cost of a Squadron is 10mil, compared to the 5 billion + billions more to buy & outfit the Carrier. So not only would we still have the same number of Carriers, we'd have thousands more festering 1-player Squadrons. And I don't see many players taking minimum player requirements well, if that's what you mean.

Why not just give inactive carriers the boot?
Upkeep was clearly intended to try and avoid the current situation, but as we all know the economy is and credits are meaningless. So let's just accept that the soft approach using credits wont work, and instead outright require a minimum amount of activity from both the owner and the carrier.

Deleted member 110222

D
Why not just give inactive carriers the boot?
Upkeep was clearly intended to try and avoid the current situation, but as we all know the economy is and credits are meaningless. So let's just accept that the soft approach using credits wont work, and instead outright require a minimum amount of activity from both the owner and the carrier.
I've suggested a login requirement before.

Needless to say, not popular with the bois here, as the idea was to get their carrier and then never play again.

...logically a little bit difficult at e.g. the crystal shards sites...
You mention the shard sites several times in your proposal, but I'd suggest that such cases actually don't need much consideration. Aside from the massive rush early on, they've hardly ever been even 50% full. I think narrowing the scope to systems where the number of carriers causes actual navigational problems - CGs, engineers, perhaps a handful of other cases - would keep things more manageable.

The transceiver idea above is simlar to something I've been advocating since early on. Escalating fees to carriers parking in inhabited systems. The first few see a modest multiplier added to upkeep say (10 to 20%) and it ramps up steeply as more pour into the system. Double, triple, or higher for the person holding that last slot and a notice to their message account telling them. Conflicted on if it should apply to all or just to the new arrivals as they stack up.

But the incentive becomes getting in, getting business done and getting out as well as not parking in inhabited systems forever as you are paying way more over the weeks than you need to be. Not outrageous if you need to park a carrier there to support a conflict, but once a decent percentage of the slots are filled make it freaking hurt to stay there. Accrual per hour.

Probably more than the programmers want to deal with state tracking and accounting though. I really do think though that's the best solution, the best solution is the one the players are going to just do on their own. If my 14M upkeep jumps to 28M or 42M I'm not going to want to hang around to eat that for weeks and months.

Another way is first let us get them off the system map to reduce the visual clutter and then if another carrier wants in to a full system, any carrier with no recent activity there the longest is booted out. Doesn't help the pollution of the systems but does help evict the @$$%@|s that park in major systems forever and let others get in.

Ceterum censeo FCs should be POIs. No messing with the system map and you can put an (theoretically) infinite amount of them in each system. Space is big.

That's been discussed endlessly, no you can't, because fleet carriers as they currently are, are persistent assets that appear in solo, PG and Open, and on all platforms, Xbox, Playstation and PC, so they get one of the ID64's assigned to the system, and since there's a limited number of those there's also a limited number of FC's that can be in a system, that can't be changed.

I'd say it will be enough to force carriers out of engineer & CG systems.
Make them permit locked, issue CG permits for signing up.
Carriers in that system before lock can stay, but if the owner moves them out they are out.

All other "special" systems like Beagle, the Peak etc, or guardian sites aren't important enough imho.
This would be a special solution for some systems and is not a generic solution. You will always get into a state in the future where you have too much FCs at one place.

POIs don't exist beyond each player's PC, so that won't work.

Honestly it all sounds overly complicated.

Just add a new module to the FC called the 'Transceiver Module'. It broadcasts the location of the FC. There are only so many 'bands' to broadcast on, and each higher band takes more energy, and therefore more power, to maintain.

So the first one in a system broadcasting costs, say, 500k/week. The next costs 750k/week. The next costs 1m/week. The next costs 1.5m/week. The next costs 2m/week. The next costs 3m/week. Then 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 18, 27, 45, 60, 90, 150, 225, 350, 500, 750, and 1b/week.

Or something like that. Probably a slightly lower curve than that, but capping out at about the same amount.

The basic idea being, the highest tiers will cost so much nobody would ever leave them on.

That way, players regulate themselves. Most carriers would be invisible. You could only drop in on them via wing nav lock.
I understand it as "the first one pays nearly nothing, the last one a lot". The first one to enter can stay forever. Not a fair solution.

Two suggestions: Don't show Carriers that the player doesn't have docking permission for (Squadron/Friends/Owner Only) on the system map + Nav Panel. They are less than useless clutter if you can't land on them.

And:
9cuexu10o0361.png
It is not a display problem, it is a "limit reached" problem.

You mention the shard sites several times in your proposal, but I'd suggest that such cases actually don't need much consideration. Aside from the massive rush early on, they've hardly ever been even 50% full. I think narrowing the scope to systems where the number of carriers causes actual navigational problems - CGs, engineers, perhaps a handful of other cases - would keep things more manageable.
Have you noticed that you can't enter with a FC even as they are not at the 16 * <number of bodies> limit? This is because depending on the traffic FDev is imposing a lower limit. And for the Peak (and only for the Peak) they even have a very special setup in EDO (see page 4 of the referenced forum thread).

Top Bottom