Ps4 limitations

Hi fellow forum users/ people from frontier,

Since the last trailer and the pre-order coming available, I am very tempted to pre-order the deluxe version of the game on ps4 just like I did with the jw:e when it first came out. However, I am a little concerned about limitations on the ps4 version of the game. Is the performance about the same as the original version on ps4 (it was choppy sometimes, but playable enough) and is the content of the game the same as the other versions?(ps5/pc/xbox series x)

Some people said that you cannot have mixed eras on ps4/xbox one (I do not know what that means exactly, but this does concern me)

Thanks in advance^^

I would suspect it will generally runs better on next gen and (newer or high-end) PCs; that seems obvious.

Content wise, my understanding is that yes PS4 and Xbox One will not be able to mix eras JP/JW, and that is the only difference announced so far. I forget where but it was officially stated earlier this week; I'd advise checking the news section of this forum.

Mixed eras is concerning the Jurassic park and Jurassic world era that can also be found in JWE but having both available, rather then just one, in sandbox mode.
Honestly I hate to say it but based on many other games made for pc/ps5 released the past 2 years (both big games and small ones) it's likely to perform poorly on ps4. But I'm the local pessimist with low expectations for these things.
The best advice I can give is that if you are worried about ps4 performance wait until the game releases and people can show what it plays like on/after release day.

The PS4 & PS5 versions are the same purchase, so with that one there's not a huge issue, you can just upgrade hardware to a PS5 later if you want/can.

As to how well it runs on PS4, probably similar to JWE1. On top of not looking as good, I'd suspect a raft of limitations, animal limits, possibly building and scenery limits.

I am sure there will be some kind of limitations. The one we know of so far is that you won't be able to mix the JW and JP eras in game on the older consoles. It's a pretty odd limitation and I don't know why they have it. I find it interesting and if there is some kind of hardware limitation I wonder if they would explain what the limitation is. Not cause I doubt them. I am just interested in it.

Other than hardware limitations all I could guess is that Sony asked them to do it to push people to buy the PS5 (if they can find one). I thought maybe it was Frontier hoping people would buy two copies of the game, one for PS4 and one for PS5 later on when more people upgrade. But from what I have heard the PS4 version will act like the PS5 version and will work on the PS5. So when you get a PS5 you won't need to buy the PS5 version.

I will be playing on PC so it doesn't matter to me. That's one of the good things about PC gaming. I can play a game and not have to worry about the hardware I am playing it on too much, only if it's really old hardware. Consoles are often far behind PC's when it comes to hardware.

I am sure there will be some kind of limitations. The one we know of so far is that you won't be able to mix the JW and JP eras in game on the older consoles. It's a pretty odd limitation and I don't know why they have it. I find it interesting and if there is some kind of hardware limitation I wonder if they would explain what the limitation is. Not cause I doubt them. I am just interested in it.

Other than hardware limitations all I could guess is that Sony asked them to do it to push people to buy the PS5 (if they can find one). I thought maybe it was Frontier hoping people would buy two copies of the game, one for PS4 and one for PS5 later on when more people upgrade. But from what I have heard the PS4 version will act like the PS5 version and will work on the PS5. So when you get a PS5 you won't need to buy the PS5 version.

I will be playing on PC so it doesn't matter to me. That's one of the good things about PC gaming. I can play a game and not have to worry about the hardware I am playing it on too much, only if it's really old hardware. Consoles are often far behind PC's when it comes to hardware.
I fully agree. At the moment I do not really have the money for a ps5 (as if there are any available) and I think its kind of odd that frontier restricts the mixing of era's on the ps4 version. While I loved the idea of owning the pre order skins, I cannot and will not see myself pre ordering the game for 70 euros (deluxe) when I do not get the same amount of features on the ps4. Thank you for your response :)

The PS4 & PS5 versions are the same purchase, so with that one there's not a huge issue, you can just upgrade hardware to a PS5 later if you want/can.

As to how well it runs on PS4, probably similar to JWE1. On top of not looking as good, I'd suspect a raft of limitations, animal limits, possibly building and scenery limits.
Agreed. Its a shame, I have decided that I will not buy the game because I am simply not getting the same worth as ps5 owners nor a guarantee of how it runs. The limitatations are really concerning me and I do not like the fact that frontier isnt showing any ps4/xbox one gameplay. Even if its just a snippet of gameplay. Thanks for the response and have a great day^^

Mixed eras is concerning the Jurassic park and Jurassic world era that can also be found in JWE but having both available, rather then just one, in sandbox mode.
Honestly I hate to say it but based on many other games made for pc/ps5 released the past 2 years (both big games and small ones) it's likely to perform poorly on ps4. But I'm the local pessimist with low expectations for these things.
The best advice I can give is that if you are worried about ps4 performance wait until the game releases and people can show what it plays like on/after release day.
Yeah based on the responses I have decided that I will not pre order the game nor buy it for the full price. Thank you for taking your time to response to my thread and have a great day:)

I would suspect it will generally runs better on next gen and (newer or high-end) PCs; that seems obvious.

Content wise, my understanding is that yes PS4 and Xbox One will not be able to mix eras JP/JW, and that is the only difference announced so far. I forget where but it was officially stated earlier this week; I'd advise checking the news section of this forum.
True, it is a shame because I would have bought a ps5 if any were available. The not being able to mix era's is very weird, but I cant do anything about it sadly. I am not going to pre order the game nor pay the whole price. Thanks for responding:)

True, it is a shame because I would have bought a ps5 if any were available. The not being able to mix era's is very weird, but I cant do anything about it sadly. I am not going to pre order the game nor pay the whole price. Thanks for responding:)
To find a PS5, you do have to ask stores directly, if you call enough stores regularly you should be able to find one eventually (checking with a list of stores once a week is probably a good strategy). They typically won't have them on display in store.

It does also say PS4 Pro enhanced, so it might be a slightly different experience on a pro.

Last edited:
To find a PS5, you do have to ask stores directly, if you call enough stores regularly you should be able to find one eventually (checking with a list of stores once a week is probably a good strategy). They typically won't have them on display in store.
Hehe, my brother does the same for several months. He pre-ordered it but there's a long line even for that. In some countries it's a lot worse.
One of my friends ordered a mountain bike last year and has similar struggles.

But your advice is solid. Calling or visiting the store on a regular basis, can help.
This situation is just a new level of challenge. :D

The not being able to mix era's is very weird, but I cant do anything about it sadly. I am not going to pre order the game nor pay the whole price.
While I don't understand this specific feature difference.
Old gen and New Gen versions of the same game usually have differences.

Wouldn't be surprised if the original intend was to only release it for PS5 - in normal circumstances at this point - newer games are only released for the newer gens.
Smart choice on not pre-ordering it, when in doubt. Especially with the pricing of this game.

Top Bottom