PS4 Update 1.10 - Codename FAIL

Smoke, what smoke, I've got no smoke except when I get close to a star. Interesting point, wonder how many other's like myself that don't have smoke and don't have the issue's you speak of. You might be on to something there, ole' friend.

DMvwus5V4AEKPWh.jpg:large

I'll dig into the settings to see if there is a "turn off the smoke" option. Who knows, maybe it's in there somewhere! (I'm getting desperate man, desperate!)

Nope, no "smoke" settings. Are you truly not seeing smoke? Those vents spit out smoke like a fog machine at a Halloween concert! I'm not sure the reasoning for station air to be so smokey. Here's a video of this smoke "in action":

https://twitter.com/OneOldDuck/status/922087268839550977

Last edited:
I'll dig into the settings to see if there is a "turn off the smoke" option. Who knows, maybe it's in there somewhere! (I'm getting desperate man, desperate!)

Nope, no "smoke" settings. Are you truly not seeing smoke? Here's a video of this smoke of which I speak:

https://twitter.com/OneOldDuck/status/922087268839550977

I have watched you link and see some smoke or a haze of sorts. And I don't have any such thing. As I look from dock 38 or 18 or any other from the back to the front or when coming in look towards the back. It's as clear it's been since launch. No smoke, no fog, no mist, no haze of any kind. The only problems are the duration of the board taking a long time to present missions and a lesser degree of NPC banging into me then the 109 patch. Though they still do while scanning which is in my book still way to numerious.

I have watched you link and see some smoke or a haze of sorts. And I don't have any such thing. As I look from dock 38 or 18 or any other from the back to the front or when coming in look towards the back. It's as clear it's been since launch. No smoke, no fog, no mist, no haze of any kind.

Fascinating..... I wonder if there is something in the PS4 Slim that makes some part of ED think it's running on a Pro, and thus try to give enhanced graphics that bog the Slim down. I'm fairly confident, based on my years of PC gaming before switching to a console, that turning off volumetric smoke / fog effects would give me very nice performance boost..

Thing is, I thought we had this fog in 2.3, though I think it was much less... Nemo, do you see smoke / fog blowing in the mailslot? This is one of the very obvious additions that game with 2.4 update.

-- EDIT --

Someone pointed out, and I've verified that much of this smoke / fog is sprite (2D) based, not volumetric. I still think it might incur something of a performance hit, due to the alpha blending happening.

Last edited:
Fascinating..... I wonder if there is something in the PS4 Slim that makes some part of ED think it's running on a Pro, and thus try to give enhanced graphics that bog the Slim down. I'm fairly confident, based on my years of PC gaming before switching to a console, that turning off volumetric smoke / fog effects would give me very nice performance boost..

Thing is, I thought we had this fog in 2.3, though I think it was much less... Nemo, do you see smoke / fog blowing in the mailslot? This is one of the very obvious additions that game with 2.4 update.

Nope, nada, nine, no. I've heard via one of the ANT's video's about it, buy I've yet to see any except on the rare occasions I happen to stay to long or get to close to a star while scooping.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

Even Lloyd mentioned this was new for 2.4.

I hope to get a response from Support as soon as possible.
Then i would share the result.

Thion

Got any response from the Frontier team Thion? I'm experiencing the same thing as you. I also see no difference between the quality and performance modes. I actually started a separate thread a few days ago, specifically about the FSD jump animation - it is indeed much less detailed after the patch (like many other things)!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/385768-Bad-quality-FSD-jump-animation-after-patch-1-10

Got any response from the Frontier team Thion? I'm experiencing the same thing as you. I also see no difference between the quality and performance modes. I actually started a separate thread a few days ago, specifically about the FSD jump animation - it is indeed much less detailed after the patch (like many other things)!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/385768-Bad-quality-FSD-jump-animation-after-patch-1-10

Same here. I haven't looked at the texture quality of other assets that closely, but the one thing that's annoying me most is the blurriness of the HUD elements/texts. I'm sitting 2 meters from my 65 inch 4k TV (best immersion I can get without VR hardware), and it's cleary the same (worse) quality in Quality Mode that Performance Mode always had. I've opened a bug report just now:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/386531-HUD-quality-decline-on-PS4-Pro-since-Update-1-10-(2-4-04)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Same here. I haven't looked at the texture quality of other assets that closely, but the one thing that's annoying me most is the blurriness of the HUD elements/texts. I'm sitting 2 meters from my 65 inch 4k TV (best immersion I can get without VR hardware), and it's cleary the same (worse) quality in Quality Mode that Performance Mode always had. I've opened a bug report just now:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/386531-HUD-quality-decline-on-PS4-Pro-since-Update-1-10-(2-4-04)

I wondered about this too, and think you might be right. I will check some of my old screen shots to compare.

My biggest bugbear has gone back to the network performance on PS4 (I blame Old Duck for getting me to check mission board performance on the PC version). Every network function on the PC is night and day to the PS4, its like the PS4 is working in some kind of emulated network mode. I know PSN can potentially add overhead but its night and day between the PC and PS4 Pro. :(

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm the only one, but I wish ED would just roll back their graphics to v2.3 code until they have more experience with this platform (PS4). All their "experiments" in 2.4 have just made things worse overall, not better. Save the potential visual updates and enhancements for Q1 2018, since that update will be focused on graphics anyway.

Looks like our problems come down to this: Quality mode does not work properly after the patch and we are stuck in Performance mode.

Last edited:
I updated the bug report regarding low-quality ("Minecraft") textures with a post 1.10 screenshot, and I noticed that this report has been moved to the PC section. Now I have seen PC users complain about Minecraft textures, but from what I understand, only the PS4 received an update (1.10) for this bug (for all the good it did). I just find that interesting... And confusing..

Anyway, as you were.

I updated the bug report regarding low-quality ("Minecraft") textures with a post 1.10 screenshot, and I noticed that this report has been moved to the PC section. Now I have seen PC users complain about Minecraft textures, but from what I understand, only the PS4 received an update (1.10) for this bug (for all the good it did). I just find that interesting... And confusing..

Anyway, as you were.

I know it's too late, but I finaly see what your calling smoke at the entrance. Becuse of my getting bumped the majority of times by NPC's I now generally follow someone else out the door. And I've noticed that upon their egress the smoke is cleared by the time I get to it. Just though I'd upgrade a bit for ya.

Anyway, as you were.

Well that's odd. Can we ask someone to move it back?

As I've said before, the issue is similar to something that can occur on PC when a graphics card has less than 2GB of VRam. But this current issue is PS4 specific.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
As I've said before, the issue is similar to something that can occur on PC when a graphics card has less than 2GB of VRam. But this current issue is PS4 specific.

Interestingly my PC graphics card GTX570 has less than 2GB of VRam and the problem occurs with Elite Dangerous also. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Well that's odd. Can we ask someone to move it back?

In reply to my update to the bug report about minecraft textures still happening in 1.10, someone posted this:

Same here; 1080Ti running in 4k (3820x2160) in Ultra. Usually in VR (and not noticed it there) but it happens 100% of the time. It can't be the card's vRAM!

I'm beginning to wonder - is it PS4 specific?

Back
Top Bottom