PSA: Operation Montgomery Scott - Improving the Colonia Engineers!

Hmmm, what a good idea! I'm up for it. Question though, can we simply repeatedly roll G1 and that will boost G2 to G3 or when an engineer reaches G2 must we all do G2 rolls?

Simply because gaining very large numbers of the single mats required for a G1 roll is really very easy. That way doing a couple of hundred rolls at a time is easy. Not only that but does it work if you use remote workshop? Or must we pop to the engineer directly?

Second question can we focus on specific things? I'm thinking PA's followed by Rails and Frags? Can we organise to that degree?

There is a disabled megaship in Luchtaine, IIRC? You can hack the escape hatch and scoop some up.
C64Fan has an excellent step-by-step guide at https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...ind-occupied-escape-pods-near-colonia.447311/ if anyone is having difficulty with this step.

Hmmm, what a good idea! I'm up for it. Question though, can we simply repeatedly roll G1 and that will boost G2 to G3 or when an engineer reaches G2 must we all do G2 rolls?

Simply because gaining very large numbers of the single mats required for a G1 roll is really very easy. That way doing a couple of hundred rolls at a time is easy. Not only that but does it work if you use remote workshop? Or must we pop to the engineer directly?
Remote workshops haven't been tested but our guess is that they don't work. Even if they do, they'd be quite a bit slower, because rather than just switching between different blueprints on a module, you'd have to apply it, then go to outfitting and strip the modification completely, then reapply it. We also suspect that applying experimental effects does nothing - though even if it does it would likely be extremely inefficient in terms of materials.

You can get a module to G5 solely on G1 rolls - it'll just take more of them. In general there's a balance between time spent collecting the materials, and time spent giving them to the engineer - G1 is way more efficient on collection, G4 is somewhat more efficient on hand-in. My personal opinion - having done a lot of this stuff while researching how they work - is that you probably want to do G2 rolls if they're available, but should only do the G3s if the materials are easy to get and trade for.

For example, the Long Range Plasma Accelerator blueprint uses Sulphur, Modified Consumer Firmware, and Focus Crystals at G3. You can get Modified Embedded Firmware and Exquisite Focus Crystals in bulk from missions (and depending on the missions you use, pick up some of the other grades as well), so I'd go as far as G3 on that blueprint. On the other hand the Overcharged Plasma Accelerator blueprint uses Electrochemical Arrays at G3, which are a pain to obtain directly and their G5 is pretty tough to find in bulk in Colonia as well. So for that blueprint I'd just stick to G2.

https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/engineers has a table of the relationship between engineer grades, engineer skill points, and the rolls needed to get an upgrade

Second question can we focus on specific things? I'm thinking PA's followed by Rails and Frags? Can we organise to that degree?
I'd strongly recommend cooperation and organisation of that sort, because it'll mean you get visible progress much faster, and can start using the G2 and G3 blueprints sooner where appropriate.

The Colonia Census has some Discord channels at https://discord.gg/rAdXpx6 that we used to coordinate while testing how engineer upgrading worked, and our Discord bot has tools for tracking contributions and giving estimated targets for the next grade - here's an example for Plasma Accelerators: https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/projects/14 - anyone who'd find this useful for coordination is welcome.

I would strongly recommend joining Ian's Discord if you're looking for people to organize with, just like he said! :)

To be clear, this is not a Census operation. The Census is providing advice and support - as it would to any other group or individual who asked - from its collected research data, and tools developed during the earlier investigations of how engineer research worked.

All the credit for getting people actually working together - i.e. the hard bit - goes to Phisto and LRCV on this one. I'm certainly happy to see that research getting some practical use.

FDev need to unleash the power of the bubble engineers by allowing us to upgrade them to grade 10 engineering.

Grade 10 FSD jump range upgrade.

Colonia Engineers gain experience as people roll blueprints for them - 1 point for a G1 roll, to 4 points for a G4 roll. As they gain experience, they then unlock higher grades - between them they started at G1 in everything, and now have 7 G5s and several G3s and G4s.

Summary of progress so far at https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/engineers

It's possible to upgrade a blueprint at much faster than its "natural" pace by just sitting at an engineer base feeding them materials ... a group of ten people really going all-out to fast track in this way could push a blueprint from G1 to G5 in a single week, whereas it would take months to upgrade just by people making them for personal use.
That link mislead me to beleive that we now have grade 5 SCBs in the galaxy. I flew all the way there again to pin it just to find that it was still at grade 4. You have one week to fix this or will wave my fist at you.

That link mislead me to beleive that we now have grade 5 SCBs in the galaxy. I flew all the way there again to pin it just to find that it was still at grade 4. You have one week to fix this or will wave my fist at you.
We don't have G2-4 high capacity heatsinks either, and neither does Ram Tah. :)

No, fair point, I'll make clearer where the engineer level and the blueprint level aren't the same.

Top Bottom