Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

So I finally got a chance to do some core mining. I didn't record my time but i believe it was about 40 minutes and got 60T of ore. Honestly pretty much everything you find in a core asteroid is worth getting now. Even platinum is worth 300K the same price as painite. I just picked up whatever I found and honestly it made it alot easier to mine imo.

So I finally got a chance to do some core mining. I didn't record my time but i believe it was about 40 minutes and got 60T of ore. Honestly pretty much everything you find in a core asteroid is worth getting now. Even platinum is worth 300K the same price as painite. I just picked up whatever I found and honestly it made it alot easier to mine imo.
60t of approximately 300k material is 18Mcr, which you believe you've mined in 40 minutes. So we're talking about 90t/h, which is 27Mcr/h. This is what I was saying about that not being okay—yeah, it suits for basically any mid-tier use. But if we start to talk about more end-game stuff, then things get pricey, including insurance purchases on destroyed vessels. For instance, you'd be spending about that hour mining to afford a single insurance purchase on a good Anaconda. If you got into the fighting in this game, dying becomes more common. Would you be happy with that set-up? How long do you feel like you can keep playing the game with that in mind?

Moreover, certain single missions that can take far less than an hour to complete can offer you more money than you're currently making per hour from mining. I'm not saying that it's not possible to get 100Mcr/h, what I've been saying here is that it isn't realistic or fair to expect it of the player base. The only result of these changes will be people stop mining full-stop, and then suddenly there's this deeply-embedded mining system being unused—a waste of development time and cost. There's an incredible imbalance and these random nerfs on certain 'trades' and introductions of, frankly, drastic changes to supply and demand (fleet carriers) are exacerbating it. Mining was rewarding before, now it's less than tolerable. At this rate it's going to be better to just camp a certain system for its missions. I suppose we can expect a nerf to the ability to reset the mission board, next.

So, I did a little test, just to see what I would see with the newly "fixed" PWA. This is the first time I have gone out into a field to see what the newly "fixed" PWA returns. Here's what I found, and believed. The PWA was never "broken", I don't see one bit of difference in the amount of asteroids lighting up, for me at least. I was kind of expecting a Christmas tree full of glowing rocks and found about the same "hits", again, in my experience below and it's the same as I've just about always seen. With that said, I will say... FDEV has most certainly increased the number of Core asteroids. IN this quick video below, I find probably 5 Cores in about the same time it used to take me to find just one. So, it's MUCH better, the Cores are there now, or back, however, it's a damn shame the prices are not. With this amount of Cores found in this amount of time, I could, given old sell prices, fill up and have myself a FC in no time. It's just another slap in the face. Plenty of Cores now, and prices slashed to about 1/3 of what they used to be :cautious: All they need to do now is "fix" the prices back to where they were!!! Core mining is a skill, it takes time, it's not exactly Robigo run type of easy, so why not just put the prices BACK?!

Plenty of Cores now, and prices slashed to about 1/3 of what they used to be :cautious: All they need to do now is "fix" the prices back to where they were!!! Core mining is a skill, it takes time, it's not exactly Robigo run type of easy, so why not just put the prices BACK?!
It sounds like they don't want people making over 100Mcr/h, probably to limit the number of people who get bored after they've bought everything they want. It's a double-edged sword, however, as you correctly pointed out earlier that people will just get bored with lower rates of credit gain. I certainly will. What doesn't make sense, again, is that the game is a pay-for title, it's not a free-to-play. The only microtransactions so far are purely cosmetic, so it's especially mind-boggling that they're doing this but not supplying a better way to get credits faster—say, by buying them with ARX. Unless they adjust the prices of everything so that it's low enough to say that like 80Mcr/h is a great amount, then it's going to get boring quickly. I don't have anywhere near the amount of hours you've got, but I won't stay even if Odyssey makes a great shooting experience, for example. An FPS won't make me stay because I already have outstanding FPSes to play that will inevitably do it better than Elite ever can. What Elite has that is unique is the galaxy, how it works, what they could do with it. It's honestly impressive. Sadly, they just seem more interested in nerfing the crap out of an already-mundane and standard/sub-standard trading simulator. It's not great.

Sure, we might get bored after buying everything. But having everything at our disposal doesn't necessarily mean we'll stop. Inducing an epic grind to buy things will without a doubt make people too bored to stick with it. The evidence is in people constantly seeking better ways to make money. Hell, the evidence is still even at the beginning of this thread—people pointing out a broken tool that hinders credit gain.

It sounds like they don't want people making over 100Mcr/h, probably to limit the number of people who get bored after they've bought everything they want. It's a double-edged sword, however, as you correctly pointed out earlier that people will just get bored with lower rates of credit gain. I certainly will. What doesn't make sense, again, is that the game is a pay-for title, it's not a free-to-play. The only microtransactions so far are purely cosmetic, so it's especially mind-boggling that they're doing this but not supplying a better way to get credits faster—say, by buying them with ARX. Unless they adjust the prices of everything so that it's low enough to say that like 80Mcr/h is a great amount, then it's going to get boring quickly. I don't have anywhere near the amount of hours you've got, but I won't stay even if Odyssey makes a great shooting experience, for example. An FPS won't make me stay because I already have outstanding FPSes to play that will inevitably do it better than Elite ever can. What Elite has that is unique is the galaxy, how it works, what they could do with it. It's honestly impressive. Sadly, they just seem more interested in nerfing the crap out of an already-mundane and standard/sub-standard trading simulator. It's not great.

Sure, we might get bored after buying everything. But having everything at our disposal doesn't necessarily mean we'll stop. Inducing an epic grind to buy things will without a doubt make people too bored to stick with it. The evidence is in people constantly seeking better ways to make money. Hell, the evidence is still even at the beginning of this thread—people pointing out a broken tool that hinders credit gain.

I'd rather be bored than frustrated, any day. I LOVE Elite, but yeah, it gets boring for damn sure. That's why it's mind boggling that they would make the game even worse, then again, it's not mind boggling as it's what they love to do! I have all the ships and money I need, although it would be nice to have SOME way of making that $5B for the FC. I have about $2.7B now, but I never like to drop below $2B in "savings", so I would need to make the full $5 billion to feel comfortable buying a FC and still have my nest egg. That doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon however. MY next stop, laser mining. I have a T-9 ready to go, just got to get out and DO IT! I also have a T-10, but do I really need the T-10, I think the T-9 will be enough for laser mining. I also have a Cutter I could use for lase mining, however, I hate the Cutter. It's a flying lumbering POS bus with wings. The one good thing about the Cutter, is it's a punishment taking beast! I could literally go into a haz res and let every ship fire on me for an hour before a ring of shields goes down, but as a capable fighter itself... too slow. Damn shame, as I have $1.2B into that Cutter and nothing to really do with it. I'll see how laser mining goes in the T-9, then maybe outfit the Cutter as a laser miner, since it's capable of some serious cargo room. I am never going to really use it for combat 😕 Maybe Thargoids is the way to go... I just did the math, and at $8M a pop, I'd only need to kill 625 bugs to hit a FC! Ha! :oops:

Last edited:
60t of approximately 300k material is 18Mcr, which you believe you've mined in 40 minutes. So we're talking about 90t/h, which is 27Mcr/h. This is what I was saying about that not being okay—yeah, it suits for basically any mid-tier use. But if we start to talk about more end-game stuff, then things get pricey, including insurance purchases on destroyed vessels. For instance, you'd be spending about that hour mining to afford a single insurance purchase on a good Anaconda. If you got into the fighting in this game, dying becomes more common. Would you be happy with that set-up? How long do you feel like you can keep playing the game with that in mind?

Moreover, certain single missions that can take far less than an hour to complete can offer you more money than you're currently making per hour from mining. I'm not saying that it's not possible to get 100Mcr/h, what I've been saying here is that it isn't realistic or fair to expect it of the player base. The only result of these changes will be people stop mining full-stop, and then suddenly there's this deeply-embedded mining system being unused—a waste of development time and cost. There's an incredible imbalance and these random nerfs on certain 'trades' and introductions of, frankly, drastic changes to supply and demand (fleet carriers) are exacerbating it. Mining was rewarding before, now it's less than tolerable. At this rate it's going to be better to just camp a certain system for its missions. I suppose we can expect a nerf to the ability to reset the mission board, next.
I actually made roughly about 45 million because the majority of my haul consisted of Musgavite and Monazite. So adjusted that equates to roughly about 75 million an hour on my part.

Also note two factors. 1 Ive always specialized in laser mining and not core so I'm slower at identifying the correct rocks. 2 I stopped to mine the lesser materials as well like osmium, platinum, and painite since they can fetch 300k each so there could be an argument that doing will slow down your CPH.

I actually made roughly about 45 million because the majority of my haul consisted of Musgavite and Monazite. So adjusted that equates to roughly about 75 million an hour on my part.

Also note two factors. 1 Ive always specialized in laser mining and not core so I'm slower at identifying the correct rocks. 2 I stopped to mine the lesser materials as well like osmium, platinum, and painite since they can fetch 300k each so there could be an argument that doing will slow down your CPH.
I calculated 67.5Mcr/h on that, not 75Mcr/h. Not a huge difference but yeah.

And then there's the issue of 100Mcr/h being too low regardless, given the rate that completing missions 'normally' gets you credits, and given that you're expected to stop whatever else you're doing to replace it with this to generate that amount. The emphasis in this game is on mundane repetitive tasks. What's unfair here is how long it would take you on that income to be able to get a shot at the absolute best way of accumulating credits. It'll take you ages to get a carrier.

Like, 74 hours kind of ages.

I wouldn't keep going on about the influence of carriers but they really are abusing the nerf to prices, and their price tag means that they cater to the long-term players who had already accumulated billions. We can't accumulate billions anywhere near reasonably, now.

Last edited:
I calculated 67.5Mcr/h on that, not 75Mcr/h. Not a huge difference but yeah.

And then there's the issue of 100Mcr/h being too low regardless, given the rate that completing missions 'normally' gets you credits, and given that you're expected to stop whatever else you're doing to replace it with this to generate that amount. The emphasis in this game is on mundane repetitive tasks. What's unfair here is how long it would take you on that income to be able to get a shot at the absolute best way of accumulating credits. It'll take you ages to get a carrier.

Like, 74 hours kind of ages.

I wouldn't keep going on about the influence of carriers but they really are abusing the nerf to prices, and their price tag means that they cater to the long-term players who had already accumulated billions. We can't accumulate billions anywhere near reasonably, now.
I was just eyeballing the numbers so yeah I know I'm off. Just too lazy to use a calculator. Lol. But yeah new players are screwed when it comes to ever buying a fleet carrier and it's going to be harder to maintain upkeep.

The forums mocked me when I said all upkeep was . I always had a feeling they would eventually nerf mining hard and noone believed me. Now there are people stuck with their carrier without an efficient money making effort. Serves them right if you ask me tbh.

I would say, before it's gone... if you build THIS EXACT ship, link below, just like it is, although you can play around with the cabins, but everything else needs to be exactly as it is to get the 2 jump range to SA, then you can make "good" money. I've timed it, and it's almost exactly $100M an hour if you hammer it during that hour. And, using a heatsink to round that T Tauri star iis a must!! Someone was thinking there! Shaves several seconds off the time!
The heatsink is unnecessary. When you pop out at the star, note where the next jump is and head straight out from the star to expose yourself to that next jump - at 90 deg to your direction of travel when you arrived. There is no use heading toward the next jump, you're slow as hell, you want to get the next jump underway, that is the race.
So pull out from the star so you can see the next jump and hit jump the instant the FSD cool down is over. If you can't see the jump the charge won't start.
Then you have quite a few seconds to get your nose on the target before the FSD finishes charging.
No need to try and get past the star, just get out from it and jump without delay.

I run a lighter python with 3A powerplant and distributor and supercruise so you can belt into Robigo Mines and Sirius Atmosperics just under light speed. A 4C fuel tank is just enough for there and back.

I leave all my passenger cabins stored at Hauser's Reach near Robigo Mines. I leap down there empty with a Guardian FSD and fuel scoop at about 72LY a hop and swap them out for the cabins and grind until I get sick to blimmin' death of it.

I agree with what you say about this game being addictive and bad for us. It has so many good aspects and is the result of heaps and heaps of work but man, the communication and psychology department could do with some help.
I've been spending money on games and playing them too much for my own good for decades but I've never felt this sort of resentment before. It's like FDEV has a secret goal of stopping us from doing well or having a good time. Like it's some sort of competition between us and them - only, they control the environment.
I can't see that suddenly changing with Odyssey. If I buy it, I will probably be committing myself to another time investment. I think I will wait and see if the mindless grind is going to change. I've had more than enough of that.

The heatsink is unnecessary. When you pop out at the star, note where the next jump is and head straight out from the star to expose yourself to that next jump - at 90 deg to your direction of travel when you arrived. There is no use heading toward the next jump, you're slow as hell, you want to get the next jump underway, that is the race.
So pull out from the star so you can see the next jump and hit jump the instant the FSD cool down is over. If you can't see the jump the charge won't start.
Then you have quite a few seconds to get your nose on the target before the FSD finishes charging.
No need to try and get past the star, just get out from it and jump without delay.

I run a lighter python with 3A powerplant and distributor and supercruise so you can belt into Robigo Mines and Sirius Atmosperics just under light speed. A 4C fuel tank is just enough for there and back.

I leave all my passenger cabins stored at Hauser's Reach near Robigo Mines. I leap down there empty with a Guardian FSD and fuel scoop at about 72LY a hop and swap them out for the cabins and grind until I get sick to blimmin' death of it.

I agree with what you say about this game being addictive and bad for us. It has so many good aspects and is the result of heaps and heaps of work but man, the communication and psychology department could do with some help.
I've been spending money on games and playing them too much for my own good for decades but I've never felt this sort of resentment before. It's like FDEV has a secret goal of stopping us from doing well or having a good time. Like it's some sort of competition between us and them - only, they control the environment.
I can't see that suddenly changing with Odyssey. If I buy it, I will probably be committing myself to another time investment. I think I will wait and see if the mindless grind is going to change. I've had more than enough of that.
I agree, the SC Assist is probably helpful too. I've overshot a few times but now to the point I can drop out right onto SA every time, but yeah, SC would be helpful, however, I think that would take up a cabin spot. As for the heatsink, I ran this both ways, no heatsink at first and then heatsink and I can't go back. The next star is always directly behind the transition star, so the heatsink allows you to stay right on path, hugging the star... so just stay close to the star with next star coming around and FSD cooling, then once it has cooled, just pop sink and wait for star to come into FSD range and hit it the button and you're off. It really does shave off several seconds.

I think they've nerfed the missions a bit, because now, even with a good none stop hour, I seem to be making about $60 to $70M in that hour. Was about $100M, and each time I come back for more missions, there are less well paying missions :( And, even though I am allied with all three of the factions, one is not even given SA missions right now. As for the build itself, whatever gets you there. Ha! Maybe there's a way to do a straight one jump, without the TT star roundabout, but you'd need a Guardian FSD Booster, which would take up another cabin slot.

As for FDEV and the game. Absolutely, FDEV and their players are in a constant battle and it's very disappointing and Odyssey is not going to make things better, and in my opinion, worse since you're going to need to do a LOT MORE grinding for stuff when it hits. One of my greatest pleasures in this game was Void Opals. I loved going out and spending several hours cracking and collecting and selling for $1.3M a ton, but now... FDEV has said NOPE, no more of that! It's like the money is coming out of their own pockets! Now I have my VO mining ship just sitting, collecting dust. There are other Cores that come up worth a good price, problem is, unless you already know of a spot, by the time you can even find one, fil up and go to sell, the price is gone. And here's the biggest slap... sometimes you'll see VO selling for around a $1M a ton, in Colonia! Thanks FDEV! I am going to mine VO in the Bubble and somehow make it to Colonia to sell? Pff! When they nerfed VO, they should have dropped the prices of everything, especially FCs. Just IMO, the grind is real! You need to be a DIE HARD miner to make GOOD money, and I am just not that die hard.

Sometimes, a LOT of times, I wonder why I even keep playing this game... and the ONLY answer is, I like flying a space ship, that's about it, not much else to do unless you want to rob people, or Gank people. I guess there's always Thargoids. I am SO BORED with ED, it borders on painful now. Shame :(

Top Bottom