Puzzled Planets - and a (not so) secret underground base?

Yes, ok, it's a bug 🤷‍♂️.

I'm posting here in DD sonce I don't know if this issue is
  • due to my GPU/Driver
  • due to playing in VR
  • or observed by other people who don't play in VR on an AMD 6900 with 22.11.1 drivers in Odyssey Live

Once we know at least under which circumstances this is observed, I can have the thread moved to an appropriate subforum.

So, what I see for a lot of landable planets is something like this:

dA8ktFI.jpg

The bases are still there where the surface of the planet is supposed to be (I'd guess), but the planet's surface segments aren't.
The base (in this case Lei Chung's Trader's Rest) is targetable and landable, but (for me) was underground:

DbbLOU6.jpg

So, landing was ok - but the game got some sort of server problems while I was upgrading my shields, so I decided to restart. Big mistake - when trying to restart while docked on Lei's secret underground lair, the game reproducibly crashed in the loading screen (with the spinning ship). Fortunately, the new "get unstuck" option in the help section of the main menu got me out of this bind.

So, my setup:
  • Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Radeon 6900 XT
  • Adrenalin 22.11.1
  • playing Ody live in VR

I've seen this mentioned by other people in various threads in passing, but not seen listed in the VR bug thread, so I'm asking:
  • has anyone else seen this (also visible in the system map)
  • VR or pancake?
  • AMD or NVidia?
  • graphics driver version?

Oh yes - tagging @sallymorganmoore, maybe you'll see this on Monday or so.

Have you loaded the AMD driver 'fix 2' from @Morbad 's thread?

I'll jump into VR a little later and see how things look, but in pancake all is as it should be.

Have you loaded the AMD driver 'fix 2' from @Morbad 's thread?
No - but then again, yesterday evening the issue was first there again (couldn't even land at Trader's Rest), then gone (first went to Hera Tani, then returned to Lei Chung).

No idea what happened in the meantime - but from the responses here (i.e. none except yours ;)), I'd guess this is a rare issue. Done with engineering for the moment, so I guess I can live with it at least on this account.

No - but then again, yesterday evening the issue was first there again (couldn't even land at Trader's Rest), then gone (first went to Hera Tani, then returned to Lei Chung).

No idea what happened in the meantime - but from the responses here (i.e. none except yours ;)), I'd guess this is a rare issue. Done with engineering for the moment, so I guess I can live with it at least on this account.
I had the puzzle planets appear (and not always) when I was messing around between drivers and the 'fix' got knocked off.
The 22.5.1 driver doesn't have any issues, but is less 'feature rich' than the newer ones, as well as a boost for DX11 games, currently on the latest driver and have issues if I go fullscreen rather than borderless, but not always... Basically admitting I know nothing!

Another weird thing about the system the planet is in is that you can't jump an FC to it* as it shows as Thargoid controlled (even though it isn't - it does have a Thargoid structure, though, which is why I was visiting).

* Well, you can jump an FC to it, but to do so you need to bookmark the system and then ensure it isn't displayed (using filters) on the Galmap. For some reason you can then trigger the FC jump (but I now can't jump within system). I tried this for a maelstrom system too, just because, though that didn't work (no way to force an FC there!).

Another weird thing about the system the planet is in is that you can't jump an FC to it* as it shows as Thargoid controlled (even though it isn't - it does have a Thargoid structure, though, which is why I was visiting).

* Well, you can jump an FC to it, but to do so you need to bookmark the system and then ensure it isn't displayed (using filters) on the Galmap. For some reason you can then trigger the FC jump (but I now can't jump within system). I tried this for a maelstrom system too, just because, though that didn't work (no way to force an FC there!).

I believe jumping within systems at the moment is a general problem so that may be another issue entirely. Haven't tried it myself but other players have reported not being able to do in-system jumps with their FC's.

I believe jumping within systems at the moment is a general problem so that may be another issue entirely. Haven't tried it myself but other players have reported not being able to do in-system jumps with their FC's.
I'll confirm that jumping within, or to a body within, a system is not currently possible.
This is since U14.

I'll confirm that jumping within, or to a body within, a system is not currently possible.
This is since U14.
That's weird. I'm (fairly) sure I did two prior jumps in U14 to a planet within a system (i.e. from system map not galaxy map)*. I'll test that tonight as I don't think I'll hang around in this system for long.

* (though the in-system jumps could have been legacy. My memory isn't what it was!)

That's weird. I'm (fairly) sure I did two prior jumps in U14 to a planet within a system (i.e. from system map not galaxy map)*. I'll test that tonight as I don't think I'll hang around in this system for long.

* (though the in-system jumps could have been legacy. My memory isn't what it was!)

I think you can actually select bodies in the system, but it will still only jump to the star, if you try in-system jumps then you get an error, I haven't tested it myself yet but that's what I have heard.

I think you can actually select bodies in the system, but it will still only jump to the star, if you try in-system jumps then you get an error, I haven't tested it myself yet but that's what I have heard.
I have found the only way to successfully jump a FC to a planet is to move to the system without search/bookmarks tools, then select system map > move to a planet and select it; once you can select it an still get the option to set it as a destination, the FC will jump. 3 successful jumps on two separate Cmdrs - but very time consuming - seriously not working as designed. Hope the hotpatch comes quickly.

Just logged in, and the broken planet is now fixed. Also the system seems to be a valid FC destination now (though in system travel still not working, so that must be the bug as others have mentioned).

Turns out that when the planet is working, it's awesome for sledging. :D

I've observed this on and off with 22.11.2, jumping out and back into the system fixed it sometimes. Also, sometimes planet surfaces just vanish (only visually, I can still drive on the surface), quit and reload usually mitigates it. What with the overall state of the game I guess we're playing Goat Simulator in space now 🙃

Got lots of what you don't appear to have, so that's fine by me...

How were the grapes?
But you asked, didn't you. You know, you see. And it's obvious. But hey, keep rubbing on others. It's a surefire way to make you more miserable.

Top Bottom