PvP PvP griefing analogy to explain why it's not legit to some people

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Come on Zippy, "definitely" is not an easy word to spell!

Oh, you were referring to the syntax, grammar & general writing mechanics...well yeah, fair enough then!
jesus wept was not directed at the post I quoted, but at the person repping that post.

I agree with the content of the post I quoted.

I already gave this analogy in one of the other three (or is it four by now? it's only Thursday) threads to be closed this week about people getting mad over people playing differently to them, it was about two bars on opposite sides of the street - a nice quiet family pub, and a loud sports bar. A few of the loud sports fans are getting mad at people for going into the quiet family bar where they keep getting asked to leave for being too loud, and instead propose the loud sports bar offer beer discounts to entice the quiet family pub drinkers into the sports bar, because clearly watching the rugby and shouting is the superior drinking experience and it's somehow not fair that the quiet family bar is taking customers away from the sports bar.

Meanwhile a quiet family show up to the sports bar, find they can't have a nice quiet pub lunch 'cause the sports fans are too loud, and get mad about it while ignoring the quiet family bar across the street.

I already gave this analogy in one of the other three (or is it four by now? it's only Thursday) threads to be closed this week about people getting mad over people playing differently to them, it was about two bars on opposite sides of the street - a nice quiet family pub, and a loud sports bar. A few of the loud sports fans are getting mad at people for going into the quiet family bar where they keep getting asked to leave for being too loud, and instead propose the loud sports bar offer beer discounts to entice the quiet family pub drinkers into the sports bar, because clearly watching the rugby and shouting is the superior drinking experience and it's somehow not fair that the quiet family bar is taking customers away from the sports bar.

Meanwhile a quiet family show up to the sports bar, find they can't have a nice quiet pub lunch 'cause the sports fans are too loud, and get mad about it while ignoring the quiet family bar across the street.
A pub analogy is probably good for a forum full of Brits. :D

Why is an analogy needed?

Griefers desire other players to have a bad time. This is not a nice thing to desire. Plus it's bad for the game, since the more people enjoy it, the better it is for the game.

That is why griefing is bad and detracts from the game.

Why is an analogy needed?

Griefers desire other players to have a bad time. This is not a nice thing to desire. Plus it's bad for the game, since the more people enjoy it, the better it is for the game.

That is why griefing is bad and detracts from the game.

Griefers justify what they do within the rules of the game, griefers use the terms "it's only a game", "player ill equppied" etc etc and I used this analogy to say that despite that what they do is still wrong, but the usual suspects have failed to grasp what I meant.

They just do not care about the person on the recieving end of behaviour which even though is strictly not against any rules per se and against almost every form of sportmanship/spirit of the game.

TLDR wheatons law.

The Analogy is flawed.

It's more like this :

Football or Soccer match...
Tackling is allowed and within the rules of the "game" under very specific conditions.

Player A (is playing wearing appropriate sports equipment) has possession of the ball.
Player B (fully kitted out in military gear) is apparently coming in hard to tackle.
Player B pulls a military Auto-Shotgun and fires a burst of 28 rounds at Player A, instantly killing that Player because Player B loves doing that.
Player A had the ball but Player B has no interest in picking it up, only intended to kill. In fact it's not visible that Player B ever had any intent to play.
Player B professes innocence saying it's all within "what's possible" in the sport and player A was ill equipped.
Crowd labels Player B a lunatic murderer and calls the behavior as insane.
Referee does issue a red card and Cops are called. They're too poorly equipped to handle the murderer though and take over 2 Minutes to arrive, so Player B can easily leave the Stadium, which that Player does.
Player B just cannot comprehend why people are getting angry about the kill.

Player A wants to play football with other people not alone.
Player B has complete lack of sportsmanship/empathy acts like a sociopathic psycho.
Referee and Cops are powerless, existing laws are not enforced.

Player B = Elite (and ANY online game) griefer

well I "was" trying to stay within the realms of reality!! ;)

how about the enjoyment of the players that like to blow up other players? how about the players that want to defend their PMF? How about the players that do Power Play seriously and kill only opposing powers' ships?
A clueless commander shopping for prismatic shield runs into a blockade in Cubeo and gets popped will think it was griefing, while it was a totally legit kill. But that commander will cry rivers about griefers...

How about dying with honor and taking it like a man? How about learning from your mistakes and trying to improve?

Legit PvP is NOT the issue, griefing is.......if you are targeting players for that reason then fair enough. IF you are targeting players purely for you own pleasure and seal clubbing that is greifing.....read the analogy.

And what's this honour nonsense it's a sodding game fer gawds sake, something constantly said to justify bad behaviour but in reality bad behaviour in a game is beyond pathetic........how about playing fair and picking targets like a man and not weaker targets. Because if you are NOT seal clubbing you wouldn't get all y with my opinions. But you do get y thus I suspect you seal club, like the big man you are(n't).

Weak analogy 1/7

The simple truth IS...

Some people want the game (and how other players play it) to follow their vision of how ED should be played. When other players don't play the way they envision it should be played, they come and have a whinge about how horrible those other people are.

Some people want the game (and how other players play it) to follow their vision of how ED should be played. When other players don't play the way they envision it should be played, they come and have a whinge about how cowardly those other people are.

The rest of us, clearly the majority give how few horrible / cowardly posts there are in the scope of the number of players, just shrug and get on with playing the game.

Legit PvP is NOT the issue, griefing is.......if you are targeting players for that reason then fair enough. IF you are targeting players purely for you own pleasure and seal clubbing that is greifing.....read the analogy.
Other people's motives are unknown by you, and more importantly, not any of your business.

There's a couple of things to add to the analogy.

1. There is only one pitch and one ball in existence for all players regardless of ability or how seriously they play.
2. Everyone knows there is only one pitch and one ball.

How would you create a game that caters to all in this scenario?

Anyway, since there hasn't been a practical solution offered other than using more armour and shields, or using other game modes if you don't feel like risking being in that situation over the last few threads, it doesn't seem like this thread will put anything in a better place.

My last post on the subject since any comment about it just greases the wheels of the handcart on its way to hell.

That's my analogy, those better equipped more experienced should show some self restraint regarding the other players, it's that complete and total lack of restraint that is the problem.

This is not an issue of being able to shoot and destroy other players or not, it's about the context of the combat and how fair that combat is.

I have another analogy.

We're given a ball and a field to play on. A bunch of kids from all around the world has been let loose, but noone told them what game they should play.
Some play football, some play soccer, some try to hit other kids with the ball, some dig holes in the ground, some just walk around (circumnavigate) the football field.

What's fair by those who play football is unacceptable by those who play soccer. Kids that just kick the ball at other kids generally annoy everybody, but themselves. Everyone must avoid holes in the ground and nobody understands why some kids just walk around in circles.

That's my analogy, those better equipped more experienced should show some self restraint regarding the other players, it's that complete and total lack of restraint that is the problem.
If you bought a PvP game, entered a PvP mode, and fly around in a PvP zone it is only natural for other players to believe you are open to PvP.
Showing restraint at that point doesn't even make sense as there is every indication the other player enjoys PvP.

This is not an issue of being able to shoot and destroy other players or not, it's about the context of the combat and how fair that combat is.
The combat in Elite Dangerous is fair.
Everyone has access to the exact same resources.

Lesson learnt.....why bother expecting sane discourse on these forums...mods lock thread.....this toxic schism of the game will never ever be addressed until FD get the balls to sort it out one way or another.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom