PVP in ED? Enough already, this isn't a PVP game. Forums plugged up, too much.

I have a pistol loaded, give me your valuables cmdr, i shall take all the drink from you arr.
Being both an Orc and a Pirate, you would naturally be invited to partake of the finer things even without waving that huge shoting iron in my general direction...
We have standards, you know :)

Oo look at me I'm in my 30's all you young 'uns better listen

1593506504611.png

Honestly given that a huge chunk of this game's audience is "people that are nostalgic for the original elite or frontier games and have been aching for a decent space combat and trading sim since privateer 2" I don't even know why it's surprising.

There is PvP and it is by design. We can interdict, fire upon, hatch break, etc. other players. But it isn't a good PvP game... far, far from it. The game would be SO much better if there was team-based, compelling PvP in the Open environment/sandbox. But alas, the devs caved to the crying carebears.

NB: griefer =/= PvP player IMO.
Plus 1 for the factual statements in the first part of that paragraph. Minus 4 for the childish and obnoxious “carebear” insult in the last sentence.
I have to say that apart from the 'fire upon' I'm pretty sure all the other features that can be used in pvp were added later, so 'by design' being 'in the game', like you could use a mining laser in pvp, it's by design and can be used to shoot at other cmdrs, that doesn't mean it's by designed for pvp, or that the game is by design pvp because of their inclusion.

just my opinion, but the game does feel very much like the pvp (or even the whole mmo) was added at a late stage and not really thought through, more a 'hey wouldn't it be great if everyone could play together' but without thinking 'what if they shoot eachother' (probably answered with a 'na, it'll be fine'). And I could be wrong but I would suspect most of the backers were expecting a refresh of the single player experience they were used to before, had it been sold then as a 'war in the stars, get lasers and shoot eachother' it might not have got as much interested. Which means FDev are now stuck try to appease 2 totally different types of gamer (regardless of their numbers, both with mostly equally valid points).

I know it's been said before, but I think a lot of this could be solved by having a pvp on/off flags, but in the current state it would probably called 'salt setting: carebear <> greifer'.

There is PvP and it is by design. We can interdict, fire upon, hatch break, etc. other players. But it isn't a good PvP game... far, far from it. The game would be SO much better if there was team-based, compelling PvP in the Open environment/sandbox. But alas, the devs caved to the crying carebears.

NB: griefer =/= PvP player IMO.

Yeah, this.

Fix c-logging and increase rewards for playing in Open.

PvP is the last stage of player interaction. Yes, ED is definitely not about that. And PvP in the form of the last stage is the least needed ED. But interaction between players in General, including combat - is necessary.

I'm very interested in hearing your non anecdotal evidence on the average age of an ED player. I heard there was 18k players online last week. Pray tell

How sweet of you. ;) I'll refer you to WinterWinds' kind reposting of the survey from Frontier. It's been a while, but there's no reason to think it's all that different now. Anecdotal or personal experience aside (which is all 99% of these posts are, including mine and yours) it's as good a benchmark as any. This whole thread is a mass of opinions anyway, and you made quite a case for being a PVP elder, as it were. Surely you can make your case without telling us you're in our heads, you're the pre-OG PVPer, etc. which just made me for one disinclined to read the rest of what you wrote (but I did). Cknarf pretty much nailed it on the head, BTW.

o7

Last edited:
There's really only one question that needs asking.

Did you buy Elite with you buy Elite with your own money back when it came out?

Anybody who answers "yes" is probably in the top two tiers of the poll.
I was 30 when I bought the original Elite, although I had to wait for a week after release as my local computer shop was a bit of a trek from where I lived at the time :)

Took me 3 mins trying to figure out if you're for or against PvP :D
p.s. You skipped all of mister maynard's post and didn't reply :)
What was your conclusion? 🤷‍♂️

(You could have deduced stance just by casually reading through posting history, it is quite amusing :))

Hi, I've only been playing ED for about 7 months, but very constant and surely already for a few hundred hours.
And I also belong to the gamers of more mature age, so to speak.

I have already noticed this (senseless) discussion. It's so bizarre that I sometimes assume that troll networks are behind it - as a web developer like me, you can't get over thinking about it - or is it just a looming generation conflict?
Ok, just to spread some personal paranoia into this discussion ... ignore it
Anyway

One thing is striking: There are basically 2 camps. Some prefer to play solo and others want to play open only. And a third faction lies somewhere in between.

Well, now it's like this game offers options for ALL camps!
And... it's not enough? It would even be too much then? First time in my almost 40 years lasting videogame experience, a miracle has happened!

What does that tell us if one side is always looking for discussion about it?

I think it's quite simple: The other side obviously dominates - so there are more solo players than OpenOnly or PVP players. Or even balanced - doesnt matter at this point.
Well, that's nothing special, just obvious.
But the fact that the game is constantly being forced to one side is not only bad for the game, but would bury it in the end - if it succeeds.
Since the obviously bigger faction would break away for the most part and ED would degenerate into a ganking paradise and a totally irrelevant, temporary PVP sandbox. Don't tell me anything.
I remember this from EVE - it has it's own philosophy and greatness, sure, but for my part I finally found with ED what I always missed with EVE.
ED adds diversity - we surely dont need another EVE

So what exactly is it all about, when all options are there but one side wants to eliminate the other?
That should give you food for thought ...

my 2 cent, stay healthy
o7

True... but I'm 36 years older and wasn't a teenager when the original came out... Not that I am totally useless, just a tad less agile these days 🤣
(I even made elite in the original!)

You can't fool me. All veterans are sat at the back, staring into a Lavian Brandy and running a finger across the deep scars. Any Ovaltine drunk is topped with whisky, to block out the witchspace screams...

Top Bottom