Re: Naming a ship

Wild thought came to my mind as I saw @El-bizor 's list. Caesar's cipher (cryptography). Essentially you take alphabet, take random number and move entire row according to chosen number. So if moved by 3 places then A turns into C, B turns into E and so on. Elite Dangerous, coded with this value gives: Holwh Gdqjhurxv.

Ok, enough of theory. My idea is to apply Caesar's cipher to whole ship list. We take ED ship list, sorted alphabetically (I took it from Coriolis.io), copy and paste so we have 2 identical columns. Then move right clum down by random number. I picked 7. Ship names that went doo far down we put in front so both columns have equals. And now we read:

left name is ship you have - right name is what you should name this ship. With 7 being our number... Adder gets T-6 Transport. Cobra mk II is now Alliance Chieftain.

Scrolling to Imperial Cutter we get name: "Federal Dropship"

Apply this to few ships in the instance and observe how station's ATC tries to organize traffic...

If in doubt, Death Metal bands of olde days bring some options

Carcass
Morbid Angel
Deicide
Nocturnus
Dying Fetus

Great names for exploration ships :ROFLMAO:

I am yeah... not in CI though... I seem to recall we were in an ad-hoc PG together a couple of years ago
The only PG I ever joined was for CI and Mobius. We probably just met in a RES or Nav beacon and had some fun killing pirates. Or you are the one who tried to kill my Krait in a hull tank Sidewinder (that battle took 15 minutes and I just left after I realised how useless I am at PvP)... :D

The only PG I ever joined was for CI and Mobius. We probably just met in a RES or Nav beacon and had some fun killing pirates. Or you are the one who tried to kill my Krait in a hull tank Sidewinder (that battle took 15 minutes and I just left after I realised how useless I am at PvP)... :D
I don't¹ do PVP, so it was probably killing pirates. As for hull tank sideys, it's the kind of thing I might do, but nah... I'd probably use a courier or a cobra iv for that sort of stuff. I'm just not good enough to build (or fly) a sidewinder murderboat. (Though I used to fly a Vulture called "My Little Murderpony")...

--
¹ At least not that I'm liable to admit to. I have a reputation as a rabid PvEer to preserve after all.

If it's an exploration ship, how about "Re:gal Traveller" or "Re:aching the Stars"?

Or, if it's a mining ship, there's "Re:venue Generator"

If you've always wanted a Cutter, you could call it "Re:alised Dreams"

If it's a combat ship, there's "Re:quiem Mortis" or, perhaps, "Re: placement Killer"

If you want to highlight the cost you could call it "Re:cent Windfall"

If you want to name it after a real-world ship you could call it "Re: pulse"

Would it be politically incorrect to call it Re: Tarded to match the amount of effort re: quired to unlock it?

Top Bottom