Re: Undiscovered Systems

o7

I've mentioned this before but I need to ask again. Are there any systems that have not been discovered yet.. it matters not which direction i travel up down left right backwards forwards.. every system encountered has been discovered. In which direction do I need to head to find a system that has not been frequented at some point.

O7

only about 0.3% of systems in the game have been discovered thus far. on my last trip I discovered many new systems including WW, ELW, and ammonia worlds. you just have to get about 2000 LY away from the bubble and don't go in a "common" direction towards anything notable. On my trip out to the Heart and Soul nebula and notable locations "nearby" almost every system I jumped into was undiscovered until I got to within 500 LY of some "interesting" thing.

Only thing I haven't seen in the tens of thousands of LY is any of the Lagrange clouds or stellar phenomenon.

You won't find many systems within the first 1000-2000ly of the bubble undiscovered. There are a few but not many, mostly systems containing just stars.

400 billion star systems each containing stuff is a lot to explore :-D

I doubt anything round the bubble is now undiscovered but who knows.

Try taking a zig zag route rather than a straight one as most commanders will have traveled in one direction also trying moving up and down the plain.

It doesn't feel like it. Is there a way to view the discovered systems on the map so I can see blank areas to head out to.. I just want my name on something before I die an old wrinkler

nope - and the only way to tell if a system has been discovered is to honk it and then look at the system map. If it's blank, it hasn't been discovered. If the number of discovered objects doesn't match the number in the system map, either it was originally discovered with a basic scanner and the farther out bodies are undiscovered, or there are asteroid belts.

On the other hand, every now and then I find a totally undiscovered system less than 500 LY from Sol.

nope - and the only way to tell if a system has been discovered is to honk it and then look at the system map. If it's blank, it hasn't been discovered. If the number of discovered objects doesn't match the number in the system map, either it was originally discovered with a basic scanner and the farther out bodies are undiscovered, or there are asteroid belts.

On the other hand, every now and then I find a totally undiscovered system less than 500 LY from Sol.
Once you find the system is it merely a honk scan that puts your name on it or must you visit and scan everything in it

Once you find the system is it merely a honk scan that puts your name on it or must you visit and scan everything in it

I believe the honk scan will get the main star and anything within the "old" DSS scanner range. As before, to tag planets you need to scan them. Before you had to fly over to them to do the scan, now you can do it with the FSS without going anywhere. In order to map the planet and get the "mapped by" tag you have to fly over and shoot probes at it.

It doesn't feel like it. Is there a way to view the discovered systems on the map so I can see blank areas to head out to.. I just want my name on something before I die an old wrinkler

everyone heads in the same directions, thinking that they are doing something different.
You need to do a 'George Costanza', and do the opposite of what your instincts tell you... and you will win.

When I leave the bubble I travel around 500ly diagonally up or down then turn towards wherever I want to go. Straight line paths from the bubble are usually already discovered, if you add a significant kink early in your journey you may still cross the straight line paths of those that went before but you are much more likely to enter systems no one else has visited.

The further away you are from the bubble and nebulae (and the straight paths between them) the more likely it is you will be in virgin territory.

Do not follow where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path & leave a trail.

My Advice (Due to 1,000 ly around the bubble being discovered) find a nice nebula or just a interesting spot at least 7,000 ly away. Then plot a dog leg route in any direction up, down, left, right of about 1,000ly mid point and pretty much everything will be undiscovered (Until you discover it) take a detailed surface scanner with you and when you find that ringed Earth-like you can put your name on it :)

I've found there are plenty of undiscovered and partly-discovered systems not too far outside the bubble. If all you're jumping to is OBAFGKM type stars, then you're making your task harder. Open up that star type window and you'll find plenty of things that people have passed over. Many systems I've run across are only partly discovered, just certain bodies scanned and mapped, while the rest of the system is untouched.

Step in and honk. Check the count against the system map. If they don't agree, get to it - scan. Then spend a little more time and map. Visit some of the POIs. I've found a number of metal planets which don't show (Geo) POIs when scanned, but the minute you map them they do. ;)

Good luck! :cool:

Someone's already said this, but everyone thinks they're going somewhere nobody's ever been before.
My advice is to randomly mash buttons on the galaxy map with your eyes closed, then zoom in and go to that star (unless it's within the bubble, or in a popular destination, or whatever.

Also, verticality does wonders. Go a few hundred LY upwards or downwards and you're basically on a plane of undiscovered stuff.

You need to do a 'George Costanza'[/MEDIA]

Exactly! 🤣

When first starting out from the bubble, take a look at the galaxy map, note where all the pretty nebulae and points of interest are (Sag A*, the Formidine Rift)... then take off in a direction that goes nowhere near any of them.

By about 1-2000LY out you'll have found your first undiscovered system. Two to three thousand light years out, you'll be hitting more undiscovered systems than discovered. Five to six thousand light years out, finding a previously visited system is in itself an event.

Once you're in mostly undiscovered space, you can go in any direction you want, towards any POI you want, and you won't see many previously scanned systems on your route, because now you're not at anyone else's starting point.

Top Bottom