Re: Undiscovered Systems

o7

I've mentioned this before but I need to ask again. Are there any systems that have not been discovered yet.. it matters not which direction i travel up down left right backwards forwards.. every system encountered has been discovered. In which direction do I need to head to find a system that has not been frequented at some point.

O7

It will get to the point where if you see a discovered system out there you will jump up and down with excitement

Does it though, by itself?

That assumes all new players must find new systems

If you don't leave the bubble or stay to the beaten paths

The trip to the Pleiades is still considered "too far" by some players, so they would likely never add to the exploration of the galaxy despite playing

The statistics I provided (the 37k systems) was from my codex stats page, it doesn't differentiate virgin from tagged systems. Obviously I know the lions share of those systems were virgin territory.

IIRC David Braben said the average time played was 60hrs (I have played just over 6,500hrs) and I think 55% of all players don't buy a new ship, a stat that probably came from XBox achievements or similar.

I think the 0.036% of the galaxy statistic Paige provided is a little misleading - most of the galaxy is pretty homogeneous, and anecdotal evidence suggests the proportion of discovered systems where most players would typically actually be likely to visit (ie regions near tourist hotspots like nebulae) is much, much higher, the issue the OP is facing. Just getting your name in the stars is not that hard. Getting your name on a system another player is likely to visit is probably more of a challenge now.

Last edited:
Last time I headed out, it was a good 3000 lys before I was finding only untouched systems. I went anti-spinward towards Norma expanse sector, and up about 650 lys.

I suggest you head toward nothing. No nebula, Jaques, Sag. A, or any other kind of POI. And it's still amazing how far out has been discovered.

There’s something like 399 billion undiscovered systems in the galaxy. You just need to do 3 things to find them:
1) pick any direction out of the bubble and go. Try to NOT head for a nebula or other landmark
2) make sure to set your route planner for “farthest jumps” and not “economic route” or whatever the difference is. keep going, once you get about 750-1000 lay out you’ll start to fine undiscovered systems
3) prep beforehand. Make sure you have a fuel scoop and Visit Felicity to engineer your frameshift drive for highest jump range possible so you can go farther in less jumps.

Good luck commander!

Before I open a new thread I just ask here as the topic is kind of related.

Please bear with my noobischness. In the Galaxy map, do yet undiscovered stars have no names/designation or do ALL stars/objects in the galaxy have a fixed name already, even if they have never be visted/scanned before by a player?

Hope my question makes sense. (not native english speaker here)

Thanks

Before I open a new thread I just ask here as the topic is kind of related.

Please bear with my noobischness. In the Galaxy map, do yet undiscovered stars have no names/designation or do ALL stars/objects in the galaxy have a fixed name already, even if they have never be visted/scanned before by a player?

Hope my question makes sense. (not native english speaker here)

Thanks

In the galaxy map there is no way to tell if a system has been visited or tagged by another player, you have to visit it to find out.

You have a visited stars filter though, and if the system map icon is greyed out you haven't personally visited it.

If you visit a system someone has already tagged (sold the data) on arrival you will see the star(s) & planets they tagged on your scanner and marked as unexplored on your nav panel.

In the Galaxy map, do yet undiscovered stars have no names/designation or do ALL stars/objects in the galaxy have a fixed name already, even if they have never be visted/scanned before by a player?
As others have already said:
yes, they all have a fixed name already
Most are procedurally generated names, although FDEV have imported some stellar catalogues and also (re)named many stars of and near inhabited systems.

Deep dive into how the procedural names are generated:

Indeed I was getting undiscovered system within 800ly of sol, but most people look at the sky map and say, "lets visit the X nebula" like 10,000 new players before them and wonder why everything is discovered out to 3kly. Basically if you can see it on the sky map then 10,000 people have followed the same route you are on, so go somewhere there is nothing and you will soon be in undiscovered territory.

I’ve been in totally undiscovered space for 30 weeks, discovering everything out here.
Me too (but not quite the 30 weeks). Came across my first previously-discovered system in a couple of months yesterday. I've discovered half a dozen ELWs in that time and nearly fallen into two unknown black holes just this week. I'm in the thin space high above the central mass with just 17 systems in my current 500Ly plot.

@800ly you start getting some undiscovered system
@1000-1500ly there is a lot of them, but most "For Great King" stars (f-g-k stars, the best for ELW and others) are explored (people filter those stars and only visit them)
from my experience.

I don't think there are any nebula left unexplored, at this point^^ Except permit locked ofc.

While only a fraction of the galaxy is explored, the vast majority of said fraction is around the bubble, for obvious reason. Creating a false feeling that everything is discovered.

Did a relatively short trip to knock off the 2 "5k LY from start" engineers over the last couple weeks and logged a bunch of new discoveries. I went from Shin Dez to the Elysian (sp?) Shore (10.8k LY round trip) and ended up with 5 plus pages of 1st discoveries when I cashed in the data. About 3K LY out from the bubble seemed to be where the undiscovered systems were the norm with some 1st mapped and 1st discovered planets inside that.

Just three days ago I got the first discovery of an ELW only 1k LY away from the bubble, Swoilz NL-X c17-13 A 2. There are still undiscovered systems nearby.

Just three days ago I got the first discovery of an ELW only 1k LY away from the bubble, Swoilz NL-X c17-13 A 2. There are still undiscovered systems nearby.
Definitely my trip was more or less on the galactic plane which would seem to be the most traveled area from a vertical perspective

Top Bottom