Squadron-Only carriers would have killed squadrons straight out of the gate.

As I suggested in another thread, with FC's now in the game, ship transfers would be better off removed from the game. Not that I expect that will happen. (Frankly, they shouldn't have been put in in the first place, but ¯\(ツ)

Regarding ship transfer, i like the idea that ships take time depending on distance, im sorry but teleportation feels silly to me and maintaining some semblance of realism is important for Elite Dangerous.

However... if i could move my ships from the Galaxy map (where ever i am) without having to go to the destination station first and then summon the required vessel (then wait), that would be a better system. I could get on with other things and then rendezvous with the moved vessel when IM ready.

I think Frontier should advance the Ship transfer mechanic.

Last edited:
Regarding ship transfer, i like the idea that ships take time depending on distance, im sorry but teleportation feels silly to me and maintaining some semblance of realism is important for Elite Dangerous.

However... if i could move my ships from the Galaxy map (where ever i am) without having to go to the destination station first and then summon the required vessel (then wait), that would be a better system. I could get on with other things and then rendezvous with the moved vessel when IM ready.

The time delay is reasonable. What wasnt reasonable were the ludicrous prices on top.

The time delay is reasonable. What wasnt reasonable were the ludicrous prices on top.
.. and this viewpoint is why we won't get instant transfer - because then people will argue for 'free' transfer, and we're left with 'all your ships are available wherever you are'. And then start to wonder why you would want a FC at all...

(I'm actually ok with high xfer costs - one day I will be able to afford to get the 'conda back fro Colonia, one day... )

Regarding ship transfer, i like the idea that ships take time depending on distance, im sorry but teleportation feels silly to me and maintaining some semblance of realism is important to Elite Dangerous.

There is realism and then there is just good game play. Ship transfer timer is not good gameplay as it encourages x amount of players out of the game before they can actually continue with whatever activity they had planned in the first place. If we can accept our ships are instantly loaded/refueled/repaired I think we can also accept instant ship transfer. Pretend it was re-printed where you are if that helps with immersion. Its a moot point as i doubt Fdev will actually remove it now. Just a pity that players who weren't around in the past to vote, have to live with this result. maybe we can have a button where it can be switched off for those that aren't looking for realism and those that do can keep their dumb timer.

Like the OP, when I transfer a ship I log out of the game and do something else. Sometimes I do something else for days/weeks.
And thats your choice. Depending when I transfer a ship I generally keep playing. My playtime is not dictated to me with regards to what ship I am currently flying.

If you choose to fly a taxi ship that litereally can't do anything else after calling your other ship, well that is an issue you have created for yourself and not an issue with the game. I fly a multirole ship that can do most things well. When I call my ship, I am still in a position to play the game afterwards.

If you are forcing yourself to log off, then maybe revise what ship you are using to travel around so you can do more stuff afterwards. You choice of course, its just a suggestion.

There is realism and then there is just good game play. Ship transfer timer is not good gameplay as it encourages x amount of players out of the game before they can actually continue with whatever activity they had planned in the first place. If we can accept our ships are instantly loaded/refueled/repaired I think we can also accept instant ship transfer. Pretend it was re-printed where you are if that helps with immersion. Its a moot point as i doubt Fdev will actually remove it now. Just a pity that players who weren't around in the past to vote, have to live with this result. maybe we can have a button where it can be switched off for those that aren't looking for realism and those that do can keep their dumb timer.

Refuel and Rearm being instant i can accept because its a local activity, Ammo can be inserted using preloaded magazines, fuel can be pumped in using high pressure, Armour can be replaced in modular sections. But yes a small degree of suspension of disbelief is required for the sake of game pacing.

But a ship moving from Sol to Colonia thousands of light years instantly is silly, and printing the ship is daft. Its a gradual slope from Space ship simulator to Space Arcade shooter.
All Frontier need to do is change Ship summon to Ship order, so we can move in advance and then go meet it.

There is realism and then there is just good game play. Ship transfer timer is not good gameplay as it encourages x amount of players out of the game before they can actually continue with whatever activity they had planned in the first place. If we can accept our ships are instantly loaded/refueled/repaired I think we can also accept instant ship transfer.
If your ship is taking time to Repair/Reload/Refuel, you litereally cannot play the game. You can still play the game after ship transfer. The fact that you choose not to is not the games fault but your own.

Instant ship transfer is not good gameplay either.

Pretend it was re-printed where you are if that helps with immersion.
That reduces immersion mate. Awful idea.

Its a moot point as i doubt Fdev will actually remove it now.
And thank god for that.

Just a pity that players who weren't around in the past to vote, have to live with this result. maybe we can have a button where it can be switched off for those that aren't looking for realism and those that do can keep their dumb timer.
Nothing to with realism. Its about ship consequences, it's about mission restrictions, its about not having a swiss army ship in your back pocket for whenever you need it.

Refuel and Rearm being instant i can accept because its a local activity, Ammo can be inserted using preloaded magazines, fuel can be pumped in using high pressure, Armour can be replaced in modular sections. But yes a small degree of suspension of disbelief is required for the sake of game pacing.

But a ship moving from Sol to Colonia thousands of light years instantly is silly, and printing the ship is daft. Its a gradual slope from Space ship simulator to Space Arcade shooter.
All Frontier need to do is change Ship summon to Ship order, so we can move in advance and then go meet it.
I really wish Fdev never took this to a vote. In a way i am glad they are keeping tight lipped these days to hopefully avoid this type of mistake. I prefer ship arcade to thumb twiddling simulator any day.

I actually find the prices fine. It makes me think if its worth transfering my ship, going to get it myself or make do with what I have. You make it cheap and its an automatically better to transfer, the same if it was made instant. I like that fact I need to stop and think about what I want to do.

I really wish Fdev never took this to a vote. In a way i am glad they are keeping tight lipped these days to hopefully avoid this type of mistake. I prefer ship arcade to thumb twiddling simulator any day.
I'm glad then went back to their original plans of timed transfer instead of the go awful intant 3D printed teleportation crap.

If your ship is taking time to Repair/Reload/Refuel, you litereally cannot play the game. You can still play the game after ship transfer. The fact that you choose not to is not the games fault but your own.

Instant ship transfer is not good gameplay either.

That reduces immersion mate. Awful idea.

And thank god for that.

Nothing to with realism. Its about ship consequences, it's about mission restrictions, its about not having a swiss army ship in your back pocket for whenever you need it.
Immmmmmmuuuuuurrrrrsssssion

Its actually not my choice. I chose to do a certain activity, not to sit and wait for my ship to arrive before I can engineer it or whatever else I had planned. As I said I log out and sometimes don't come back for days. I thought the idea for Fdev was player engagement not player leaving the game.

I thought the idea for Fdev was player engagement not player leaving the game.
... and yet still you are here, engaged with the game ... so maybe it's working :) In some ways I like ship transfer because it put in those moment 'do I want to play while that is xfering?', where the rest of the game is very 'just one more mission' - so I like the transfer times for that (even though I often can find stuff to do).

As ever on these forums - there is a range of opinion and fdev have to weave a path that pleases the most - I don't envy them

I always thought ship transfer should be realistic, in that it uses the ships stats to calculate roughly how long it would take to get to you. When a 65ly jump ship and a 7ly jump ship both take the exact same time to get to you...well, that's silly. Insta-transfer is equally silly of course. Sure, it'd be nice to get your stuff right away, but it instantly makes every ship right there with you all the time in effect.

I doubt FC's will change how ship transfers work, but it gives us options to genuinely have our ships near us, not magically via insta-transfer.

Scoob.

... and yet still you are here, engaged with the game ... so maybe it's working :) In some ways I like ship transfer because it put in those moment 'do I want to play while that is xfering?', where the rest of the game is very 'just one more mission' - so I like the transfer times for that (even though I often can find stuff to do).

As ever on these forums - there is a range of opinion and fdev have to weave a path that pleases the most - I don't envy them
I'm in the forum right now, not in the game.

In summary, Solo Carriers mostly benefit Open Play. Solo players will be limited to single roles and wont have anyone to share it with. This was strategic, just as the extra pip encourages players to open their ships to multicrew, the specific roles and limit one carrier per player encourage squadding up. Frontier put a lot of thought into this feature and I'm confident that if you give it a chance you will love it.
Not entirely true... but I do agree with your point about the benefits for squadrons. The multi-crew pip thing was a trade-off for the fact that multi-crew is mutually exclusive with the other multi-player feature called wings.

Solo players will probably not be that disadvantaged by having to pick a role for their only carrier...

Can you change the type of carrier you have?
The 'type' of Fleet Carrier that you have is determined by the Support Vessel assigned to it, which in turn, determines its loadout. As mentioned above, this is something we will be talking about in a future stream.
This would seem to imply that the Support Vessel is a dynamic feature and means that even Solo CMDRs should be able to benefit from the different roles (albeit one at a time). However, I would not be surprised if most CMDRs will pick one role and stick with it.

Top Bottom