Patch Notes September Update - Downtime and Patch Notes

It's been a while since there's been an update to Elite. While I appreciate the new features, I again can't wait to find out what new bugs have been introduced. Crashes, graphical glitches, FSS, SRV controls, audio problems, whatever! I still remember how long it took after the last major update to sort out many new and returning bugs. FSS comes to mind immediately. I sincerely hope this not will be the case again.

So in this new "Bugs By Popularity" reporting system, who of you voted for "The correct Elite rank will now show when targeting your own ship from your SRV" and "Fixed an issue where the word 'next' was partially cut off in the Navigation Tab of the External Panel" over things like "The FSS takes FOREVER to scan geological planets" and "Codex refuses to record my unique discovery", hmmmm?

I am glad to see "Fixed an issue where body data wouldn't show up first time when using the Full Spectrum Scanner (FSS)" and "Fixed an issue where the blue scan visual effect can appear on a nearby planet that you're not trying to scan" bugs fixed. At least that's something.

Oh, and where is "Fixed Elephant Butt Leather" ?!?!?!?? Oh wait, I don't care about that anymore :p

Old Duck, Isn't it about time you updated your signature to:

"ex-Elephant Butt Leather (eEBL) - the terrible moire-pattern shadow bug that ruins PS4 cockpits. "

Pleased wtih the realigning of the word 'Next' in the Nav panel. That really 'bugged' me.

Unfortunately that would not do. Also note, putting people through a tutorial once is not helping too much. Remember, even motivated people generally only take along 20% to 30% of what was taught in a seminar. Those which are pushed into it and don't really want to, even less.

D'accord. My point is: There's a broad spectrum of people flowing into Elite. It was and still is a hell of a complex thing and for some it will always be too much. The more evil and resilient start a career as gankers and general <self censored>, the less so just quit after some time. I just doubt ANY tutorial, no matter how, could fix this. A brain implaint may...

You are right, though. Of all options thinkable, the current way is by far not the best one.

You can imagine the outcome when somebody is nagged or pushed into a tutorial against his own will. Context sensitive help would be the way to go. Even a mere station approach would require several steps of it, though. So just imagine:

D'accord again. Most will reject this approach.

O7

Deleted member 192138

D
Especially given how much graphics settings and ambient lighting can affect the visibility of space dust.
I'm perma-FAOff and often switch around my graphics settings and the only time I've found space dust visibility to be an issue was when I was speedbowling towards the sunrise. A slider for making space dust more/less pronounced in graphics settings wouldn't be an awful thing mind. I'm also not against a UI change happening - just leave the end of the speed bar a flat cap so that there's no ambiguity. Doesn't seem like an absurd solution that should've been flagged before it got implemented into the game let alone made it to livestream demonstration.

It's been a while since there's been an update to Elite. While I appreciate the new features, I again can't wait to find out what new bugs have been introduced. Crashes, graphical glitches, FSS, SRV controls, audio problems, whatever! I still remember how long it took after the last major update to sort out many new and returning bugs. FSS comes to mind immediately. I sincerely hope this not will be the case again.

Hahaha, you should take up comedy. We both know there will be new bugs introduced as is always the case with a patch. FD simply don't fix glaring bugs as i'm sure many of us have witnessed the somewhat ludicrous responses from FD in the past, 'working as intended'. This is in itself not very helpful. I honestly don't know what FD's criteria is for bug fixing, but ever since beta tests stopped happening, the quality of this game has plummeted

That's a ludicrous supposition. Anything can be abused. Indeed, we wouldn't have exploits if mechanisms couldn't be leveraged contrary to their intent.

If blocking is to always work, then it has an instancing weight enough to do things like fracture wings, which can absolutely be abused. Off the top of my head, I can think of several scenarios where an infinite-weight block could be weaponized against other players.

Ever wing up with anyone for a RES, CZ, wing mission, or just about anything else? Well, If someone doesn't like a member of your wing, or just wants to be a jerk, they can block one of you and go where you are or seem to be going...then you can waste all sorts of time trying to figure out why you can't instance together, with the trolls never having to expose themselves. Either you start blocking people at random, which runs the risk of significant collateral damage to instancing (breaking the wings of other innocent folk), sod off to PG with your wing, or your wing doesn't quite work as a wing. Hell, if you aren't careful about who you wing up with, such a troll could even be part of it, sabotaging instancing from the inside.
What if blocking them removes yourself from their instance rather than breaking it for them?

I guess it won't be instantly anyway, only after you changed instances.

Last edited:

Deleted member 192138

D
I am glad these chevrons are added. The space dust thing is a real problem for most and no one tells them. Sidewinders are often found flying backwards erratically...
If you're in open space with nothing around you it doesn't matter what direction you're travelling in. If you're around other objects, a better indicator of your vector than a chevron on your speed bar is looking at that object and asking "am I getting closer, or further away?" Even if this is too complicated for a neophyte, the direction (bottom to top or top to bottom) of the speed indicator already shows fore/aft vector indication and if you're in flight assist on looking at the throttle indicator will show forward or reverse throttle setting.

I'm not against a UI change being implemented. But when you make a UI change that introduces ambiguity to answer a question that is already answered, when you're also creating a new tutorial that has the opportunity to explain how the UI and these mechanics function, one has to wonder what has happened to the legacy of knowledge surrounding how to fly forwards and backwards in a straight line.

When are you going to fix the net code / wing issues

All I want is to wing up with my brother, we managed it once in 3 years and promptly got disconnected.

This to me is my #1 priority and there's never any comment on it even though we complain.

I'd like to reinforce this by telling an experience when I was playing Lord of the Rings Online - which has your PC client connected to a central server.

[...]

That was a central-server game. It's not the case that changing from P2P to server would fix all the world's internet problems.

Nice story. Not on topic, but nice story.

But what you wrote has nothing to do at all with internet problems. Dropping framerates, the game close to freezing etc. was quite certainly an issue on your side, your computer was on its limits. Reasons for that i could not tell, there's plenty of options. Heat issues, memory full and the computer being busy with page swapping, one application there (not necessarily LoTRO, but perhaps your voice com, browser program or anything else) having a memory leak, your virus scanner just waking up and going crazy, the windows on internal schedule downloading and preparing a patch, etc.

But while i can't tell you what was the reason, i can tell that the internet itself and the client/server structure was not the problem. I know that many people these days don't know the difference. They generally don't need to know technical details, so why should they waste time on learning about them? But when drawing conclusion on the technical side of something, it suddenly helps.

Of course a client/server infrastructure is not the cure all for any internet problems. But it would have avoided a number of issues ED currently suffers from. Mostly the fact that the game instances are controlled by players PCs, which game developers for good reasons generally call "hostile environment". Anything which runs on the users computer is very dependent on that computers performance and can suffer badly from many things not under the developers controls. And that's even before considering that anything running there is prone for attack and manipulation.

All that being said, that's by now pure philosophy. It's far too late for the game to change the infrastructure by now. We can complain about the P2P system as much as we like to, it won't change anything any more.

Why is there always a 'like' button showing for the update announcer?
I understand that it may upset 116 (so far) forum users, but the work wasn't done by Will, he only wrote up the text, and we haven't seen the work yet!

Top Bottom