General Refinery + Mining Multi-Limpet Controller

Why are these two modules not combined ?
Are there people who use THIS separately ?

This will be a new module for mining without removing the old modules.
Like a docking computer and improved docking computer.

If someone doesn't like it, no one is forcing them to use it. Just like the universal drone controllers, if you don't like it you can keep using 4 different controllers.

Last edited:

There are various different sizes and grades of refinery and limpet controllers for various different size ships and slot availability, and budget, to combine limpet controller and refinery so that every single choice is available for players would result in, well, thousands possibly many more, of individual modules. To not create the same combination that every player uses would mean some players would miss out on their particular combination of sizes and grades of limpet controller/refinery.

There are various different sizes and grades of refinery and limpet controllers for various different size ships and slot availability, and budget, to combine limpet controller and refinery so that every single choice is available for players would result in, well, thousands possibly many more, of individual modules. To not create the same combination that every player uses would mean some players would miss out on their particular combination of sizes and grades of limpet controller/refinery.
Perhaps my translation is too bad.
I'm not suggesting to remove the old modules.
We got universal drones, but the old set is also available.
I propose a new module and those who will need it will use it.

Because the refinery was introduce when the game was released and the limpet controllers were introduced in a later patch.
The unescapable answer to this question is "yes". How many use just one or the other is another question entirely.

Here is one example though. A new Commander who would like to try mining, in a Sidewinder, and would rather use the limited slots to increase cargo space, because cargo means profit, with the added bonus/fun/experience of manually scooping the mined chunks, would not take a collector limpet controller.

Because the refinery was introduce when the game was released and the limpet controllers were introduced in a later patch.

The unescapable answer to this question is "yes". How many use just one or the other is another question entirely.

Here is one example though. A new Commander who would like to try mining, in a Sidewinder, and would rather use the limited slots to increase cargo space, because cargo means profit, with the added bonus/fun/experience of manually scooping the mined chunks, would not take a collector limpet controller.
Interesting.
So they didn't use any pickers or prospectors.

Especially with the advent of universal mining drones in the game I think the module when all together would come in handy.

Interesting.
So they didn't use any pickers or prospectors.
That is precisely my point. More cargo space in a Sidewinder is probably more valuable in this example because it means more credits for the total time spent mining. That includes travel time as well.
Especially with the advent of universal mining drones in the game I think the module when all together would come in handy.
I didn't think the universal limpet modules were available in small enough sizes for a Sidewinder to fit them.

Talking of the universal limpets modules. How will this unneeded "refinery + universal limpet controller" be balanced against the current modules?

Will it weigh as much as a black hole?
Will it require a Size 9 Class A power plant with "Overcharge" engineering?
Will it only be available for Size 10 module slots?
Will it come as standard with the Panther Clipper?

Perhaps my translation is too bad.
I'm not suggesting to remove the old modules.
We got universal drones, but the old set is also available.
I propose a new module and those who will need it will use it.

The universal limpet controller is another thing entirely, it's not combining two different items that are available in multiple different sizes and grade, you can do the maths yourself, just calculate it out with the number of different limpet controller sizes and grades with the number of different size refineries, the answer comes out to many thousands of extra modules. It's an entirely unnecessary change and addition to the game when the current system already works exactly as intended.

That is precisely my point. More cargo space in a Sidewinder is probably more valuable in this example because it means more credits for the total time spent mining. That includes travel time as well.

I didn't think the universal limpet modules were available in small enough sizes for a Sidewinder to fit them.

Talking of the universal limpets modules. How will this unneeded "refinery + universal limpet controller" be balanced against the current modules?

Will it weigh as much as a black hole?
Will it require a Size 9 Class A power plant with "Overcharge" engineering?
Will it only be available for Size 10 module slots?
Will it come as standard with the Panther Clipper?
The question of balancing is a separate issue. If anyone wants to dig on the Sidewinder, he will do it the old-fashioned way, as he did before.
For example, I have an explorer Anaconda, not a Anaconda with a big jump, but an explorer, ready for anything. I couldn't fit all my drones in it, but as soon as the universal ones came out, I had a whole new set of slots to spare. And even the heavy weight of the seventh universal drone didn't scare me.

The universal limpet controller is another thing entirely, it's not combining two different items that are available in multiple different sizes and grade, you can do the maths yourself, just calculate it out with the number of different limpet controller sizes and grades with the number of different size refineries, the answer comes out to many thousands of extra modules. It's an entirely unnecessary change and addition to the game when the current system already works exactly as intended.
Sorry.
I don't agree with you because I don't see a single argument.
Not only that, I don't understand why you forbid others to have what they want and it doesn't connect with you.
I can understand when someone asks to remove such and such a paint on the ships as it can be visually annoying to someone and he can not avoid. But in this case I do not understand, if you do not like it, do not use, it does not affect the other player.

The question of balancing is a separate issue.
Oh. So you just want to discuss whether your idea for a new module is needed or not?
If anyone wants to dig on the Sidewinder, he will do it the old-fashioned way, as he did before.
The whole reason for the separate modules then.
For example, I have an explorer Anaconda, not a Anaconda with a big jump, but an explorer, ready for anything. I couldn't fit all my drones in it, but as soon as the universal ones came out, I had a whole new set of slots to spare. And even the heavy weight of the seventh universal drone didn't scare me.
Good for you. The addition of the universal limpet controllers wasn't a complete waste of time and resources then.

So... what is the point of combining these two completely different modules with completely different functionality?

Oh. So you just want to discuss whether your idea for a new module is needed or not?

The whole reason for the separate modules then.

Good for you. The addition of the universal limpet controllers wasn't a complete waste of time and resources then.

So... what is the point of combining these two completely different modules with completely different functionality?
1. I well remember the time when the forum asked to add a computer for undocking so it was difficult to drag the t10 and Beluga into the station gates.
2. I personally have never used a cleaner without pickers and without a prospector. Cleaner is usually put the 2nd class and it is very frustrating when it takes up an entire slot.

Top Bottom