Relative Mouse mode

As probably every mouse+keyboard user knows, switching between FA-on and FA-off is quite a pain because we can currently only change the mouse mode via the controls-menu, which is pretty useless when you want to spontanously use FA-off as a combat tactics.

To clarify things for players who never played with keyboard and mouse:
- FA-off is unplayable with normal mouse mode
- FA-on is unplayable with relative mouse mode

so whenever we want to switch between FA-on and off we have to change two options in the controls menu beforehand in order to be able to control our ships.

FD has been repeatedly asked to implement a button to toggle mouse-mode or even automatically switch mouse mode upon switching FA mode, but after 4 years we still don't have it :(

Did anyone figure out a way around this? Maybe a third party tool or whatever which can be used to automate the process?

Also FDev... please take note of the need for a toggle, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a shareware macro program to automate the process of clicking through the various menu options slightly faster than I could do it manually, but it still takes several seconds (it has to allow time for various screens to load). So not ideal.

The Replicated Man

T
As probably every mouse+keyboard user knows, switching between FA-on and FA-off is quite a pain because we can currently only change the mouse mode via the controls-menu, which is pretty useless when you want to spontaneously use FA-off as a combat tactic.

To clarify things for players who never played with keyboard and mouse:
- FA-off is unplayable with normal mouse mode
- FA-on is unplayable with relative mouse mode

so whenever we want to switch between FA-on and off we have to change two options in the controls menu beforehand in order to be able to control our ships.

FD has been repeatedly asked to implement a button to toggle mouse-mode or even automatically switch mouse mode upon switching FA mode, but after 4 years we still don't have it :(

Did anyone figure out a way around this? Maybe a third party tool or whatever which can be used to automate the process?

Also FDev... please take note of the need for a toggle, thanks :)

Sounds like it would be handy, especially in supercruise and a few other scenarios. To be honest I have gotten quite used to it by now and it seems normal to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who uses relative x-axis for FA on, could we please have it as either independent toggles for both axes, or preferably as a full extra set of control settings for FA off so powercurves etc. can be adjusted too. Just a y-axis toggle would do of course if it’s just the y-axis that’s the issue for everyone else too.

I dont use it when on fa off but i dont understand why all those years they dont create the ability to bind it on a button like fa on/off.

Part of the problem is that supercruise is FA-On, so I can't readily switch between SC and normal flight in FA-Off without losing the ability to steer (or see) for several seconds during the switchover process.

I've bound my spacebar to pitch-up (and gotten into the habit of using it for that), so that I'm not completely helpless in FA-On with relative mouse, I can still use the keys to bank and pitch. Still too limiting though, so I very rarely bother with FA-Off.

I'm genuinely curious: why don't you buy some sort of game controller than using a mouse and keyboard?

Having used keyboard / mouse, using a joystick was far easier.

YMMV of course.

I'm 100% better at flying with m+kb. I'm just used to it, and I like to have lots of keys. Joystick would be adequate as well, but a controller? No way. I find it even less immersive than m+kb and just generally impractical.

I'm genuinely curious: why don't you buy some sort of game controller than using a mouse and keyboard?

Having used keyboard / mouse, using a joystick was far easier.

IMHO Game Controllers are completely useless for ED... they don't have enough buttons. Also I don't want to buy a joystick (good ones are rather expensive), when I already have a mouse and keyboard anyway.

Also the options to enable mouse players to use FA-off are already there (relative mode). They are just too cumbersome to use. Shouldn't be too difficult to add a keybind for it.

I tried controllers - yuk. Just no.
HOTAS - hmm, not impressed.
Mouse and Keyboard - totally fine (and v.close to the original Elite).

As for FA off/on use FreePIE and vJoy. There's a script specifically written for ED somewhere.

I've been using it for the last 6 months and it works absolutely fine (except tends to go a bit weird switching in/out of Galaxy map - but you just need to map a key to center).

I looooooove flying FAOff with M&K.

As for FA off/on use FreePIE and vJoy. There's a script specifically written for ED somewhere.

I've been using it for the last 6 months and it works absolutely fine (except tends to go a bit weird switching in/out of Galaxy map - but you just need to map a key to center).

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.
(Still wish FDev would add this simple keybind though)

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.
(Still wish FDev would add this simple keybind though)

Me too - since the relative M&K hack using vJoy is the very last link that is keeping me stuck in Windows. Otherwise I'd run it on Linux (which works these days, y'know).

It may not be the answer you want, but a cheap joystick (or game controller, if you prefer) configured under the Alternate Flight Controls configuration helps here. I know back when I was trying to make the switch from HOTAS to KBM (specifically to get that advantage of KBM+FAoff+Relative Mode for fixed weapons use), I still bound a joystick to the alternate flight controls just for use in SC. Then, if you need to do some fine control work in SC (like, for interdictions), you just flick a hot-key to return to your "normal" KBM control for that specific activity. Otherwise you fly around in SC with a joystick, easy as pie.

Kind of gives you the best of both worlds (in a world where you can't get what you want and holding out for another four years seems a bit obstinate).

Thanks for yours ( and others ) responses. I can't use game controllers - I despise them! - for anything apart from retro arcade games - which is why I do not have a console.

Last edited:
I can't use game controllers - I despise them!

I can't believe what I'm reading...

Are there only relative-mouse-lamers left? What do you want.. a best of two worlds comfort function? Why not directly a "Win All" button?!

It's already like cheating with relative mouse. Your playstyle destroys the overall gameplay of Elite. Even the NPCS adopt this limited drift-into-nowhere and point-click-the-target behavior. The mess is there and I can understand that frontier can't take it away again, but a toggle-function is to much for me.. really! I miss the old days...

Please Frontier, save your game from mediocrity! o7

PS: For all the mouse users: You can roll your ship if you forgot! :p

Top Bottom