Repair of the housing from the SRV.

Lestat

Banned
No need to be rude Lestate. If you read the thread you will notice I already mentioned the accessibility issue but gave other possible variation of the idea and the OP gave thumbs up.
I am not being rude I am only pointing out facts. That video and looking at the size of the SRV vs ships it can fit in. We know SRV to ship repairs is not going to happen. By looking at the video. I can only see the SRV only hitting at the most 10% of the larger ships bottom and sides for repairs.
Also you might ask... well how can a commander possibly fix the hull of a ship the size of a Boing 747? What if there is 60% damage? Well you can ask the same about a tiny limpets. I'm not sure what "60%" actually means. I'm assuming it does not mean 60% of your hull is missing but rather you are 60% towards a hull breach. So the actual repair doesn't involve the need for huge sheets of hull material.
Why don't we use something more realistic. Let take the International space station or Hubble space telescope. Where people in space suits to repair them or upgrade it. Why because of it easier. Nothing blocks them from doing repairs. Just like Repair Limpet that we have now.

Sorry OP this is not a I want to have feature when we already have a feature that can do 100% hull.

Last edited:
Sounds like a neat feature even though there already is repair limpets. Driving around your landed ship and hitting various spots with a welder beam or something like that. That'd be great atmosphere. Of course there is some practical problems like it being a bit too easy compared to limpets. With limpets you have the oppoturnity cost of having to carry the controller and cargo rack foe the limpets. Perhaps SRV repair should require some materials that are about middle in the rarity scale to match the effort.

We are adding a lot of code to stuff when we already have a function to do that. Now I am not saying FDEV have bad coders, but a) why duplicate stuff we already have, and b) the more comlex the code the more likely we are to have bugs.

Apart from the fact that if people actually drive around the ship doing welding and stuff in various spots most people will do that once and then complain about it being a time sink, and we have enough complaints about time sinks already.

Explorers asked for a way to fix hulls out in the black, FDEV gave us a way to fix hulls out in the black, now someone else comes along and wants a second way to do it, do you realise how long it took us to get the first way? Good luck with that, it might be an interesting idea but they didn't do it that way for a number of reasons. Limpets are universally available and that's probably the reason.

Ok, let kill this tread right now. Let watch this video Note the size of the SRV vs other ships that can hold the SRV from the Sidewinder to large ships like Cutter, and Anaconda. Please note the size of the SRV vs the Large ships. Then please try to debunk my point. Right now we have hull repair unit. Which covers the 100% of the ship. While an SRV will only hit a small % depending on location.

Hm. How many drones do you need to repair 100% T10? Turn on the camera and see how they do it :(

I am not being rude I am only pointing out facts. That video and looking at the size of the SRV vs ships it can fit in. We know SRV to ship repairs is not going to happen. By looking at the video. I can only see the SRV only hitting at the most 10% of the larger ships bottom and sides for repairs.
Why don't we use something more realistic. Let take the International space station or Hubble space telescope. Where people in space suits to repair them or upgrade it. Why because of it easier. Nothing blocks them from doing repairs. Just like Repair Limpet that we have now.

Sorry OP this is not a I want to have feature when we already have a feature that can do 100% hull.
People in spacesuits repair and upgrade a maximum of 1% of the hull. Seal the hole and no more.
Alternatively, it is possible to repair the hull above 20% only using drones and 80% only using SRV.

We are adding a lot of code to stuff when we already have a function to do that. Now I am not saying FDEV have bad coders, but a) why duplicate stuff we already have, and b) the more comlex the code the more likely we are to have bugs.

Apart from the fact that if people actually drive around the ship doing welding and stuff in various spots most people will do that once and then complain about it being a time sink, and we have enough complaints about time sinks already.

Explorers asked for a way to fix hulls out in the black, FDEV gave us a way to fix hulls out in the black, now someone else comes along and wants a second way to do it, do you realise how long it took us to get the first way? Good luck with that, it might be an interesting idea but they didn't do it that way for a number of reasons. Limpets are universally available and that's probably the reason.
The game has been remade a lot from the first release, and why do you think something has been done better?
I generally read that in the new patch (in large) they will rewrite the BIG part of the code.

Lestat

Banned
Hm. How many drones do you need to repair 100% T10? Turn on the camera and see how they do it :(
It depends on how much damage a ship takes. But please buy a Type 10 and take a video of an SRV next to it. Then tell us how an SRV will be able to repair it. Hold it I do have a video where an SRV is next to a type 9 and all the ships in 2.0
People in spacesuits repair and upgrade a maximum of 1% of the hull. Seal the hole and no more.
There been a few repairs on the ISS everything to panel to Generators being repaired. But here the thing. It not in combat.
Alternatively, it is possible to repair the hull above 20% only using drones and 80% only using SRV.
Now I want you to watch this video. where 29 ships and an SRV next to them and explain to us how it will repair 80% hull. Even the small ships the SRV can't touch the top. When they get larger and higher hight is a factor and some ships like the Anaconda it too low for the SRV can repair under it.

Last edited:
The game has been remade a lot from the first release, and why do you think something has been done better?
I generally read that in the new patch (in large) they will rewrite the BIG part of the code.

A lot of it needs re-writing. We still haven't got adjustable coloring for the cockpit instruments yet and that's been a big ask for a long time. What we do have is "hull repair", and now you want a second way of doing "hull repair" rather than working on things that most of us consider far more important, such as proper bookmark organisation, customisable cockpit colors, I could go on naming 50 things that need fixing or adjusting, having two ways to repair hulls just doesn't get anywhere in that list of 50.

Lestat

Banned
I understand you, but if YOU are against this proposal, then no problem, this is just YOUR opinion.
There are a lot of not quite logical things in the game, and for this we write here to make your favorite game even better!
P.S.
Forgive me dear Morbad for using his video.
No what you don't understand we already have a function of the game that already works to have our Hull being repaired in space and it more logical than trying to do repairs on different Gravity worlds which has to deal with friction and gravity. Or do you expect the SRV to jump on top of a ship to do repairs?

We also have Non-Horizon players who will not have access to your SRV or landing on the planet. So why should Frontier put any effort in an idea that already in the game and it works flawlessly? When they could use the same effort for Bug repairs and new updates that would count.

Yes, the video you look up posted was funny. I guess it should be how to repair the bottom of a buggy enemy NPC ship 101? Please note it was not even the Player ship; it was a ship that was attacked and not relevant to this topic. At least the 2 videos I posted show the scale of the size of the 2.0 ships vs SRV and points out why Ship size vs SRV your idea is a fail.

No what you don't understand we already have a function of the game that already works to have our Hull being repaired in space and it more logical than trying to do repairs on different Gravity worlds which has to deal with friction and gravity. Or do you expect the SRV to jump on top of a ship to do repairs?

We also have Non-Horizon players who will not have access to your SRV or landing on the planet. So why should Frontier put any effort in an idea that already in the game and it works flawlessly? When they could use the same effort for Bug repairs and new updates that would count.

Yes, the video you look up posted was funny. I guess it should be how to repair the bottom of a buggy enemy NPC ship 101? Please note it was not even the Player ship; it was a ship that was attacked and not relevant to this topic. At least the 2 videos I posted show the scale of the size of the 2.0 ships vs SRV and points out why Ship size vs SRV your idea is a fail.
Sorry, but mentioning here players who do not have access to engineers is at least stupid.
Try to fight even with the NPC with a shield with a thermal resist of -40.

people who don't own Horizons
We also have Non-Horizon players
these people do not matter, especially when discussing the future of the game.

OP I like the idea in theory, but I think it would call for a special type of SRV, or at a minimum the ability to use the SRV's boosters near the ship. Not sure it is a viable option at this stage, but might be more feasible if space legs becomes a thing

No what you don't understand we already have a function of the game that already works to have our Hull being repaired in space...

yeah, but why have multiple gun types if they all do the same thing? your critique could be applied to anything... do we need another way to repair our ships? maybe not, but the idea is pretty cool.

Lestat

Banned
yeah, but why have multiple gun types if they all do the same thing? your critique could be applied to anything... do we need another way to repair our ships? maybe not, but the idea is pretty cool.
It a waste of resources that could be used for stuff that actually Cool.

It a waste of resources that could be used for stuff that actually Cool.

This is a suggestion forum. The OP's suggestion is not crazy. Not asking for penguins or space monkeys. FDev is more than capable of prioritizing their schedules and resources, and deciding what fits into their long term plans. No need to do that for them. You don't like the OP's idea, fine, move on.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
This is a suggestion forum. The OP's suggestion is not crazy. Not asking for penguins or space monkeys. FDev is more than capable of prioritizing their schedules and resources, and deciding what fits into their long term plans. No need to do that for them. You don't like the OP's idea, fine, move on.
Yes it the suggestion forum. Where people can criticize ideas. Frontier would rather see both Pros and cons of an idea and not a one-sided debate. So If you don't like it fine. move on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom