Request for DEV response on future of CqC

It's the old problem:
FD: "if people play it, we'll develop it further."
players: "if you develop it further, we will play it."
In the end the loss is on both sides.
This.

I think it helps that there are probably quite a few devs who like CQC personally - and as a quick bit of spaceship exploding fun that makes good use of the ED engine, why not - so unlike Powerplay it's not been completely left to rot: we get bug fixes, we've had a few matchmaking adjustments over the years to make it easier to get matches together - and it's probably easier to get a match now than any time in the last few years.

But it doesn't quite have the numbers yet to be worth giving major investment

It's the old problem:
FD: "if people play it, we'll develop it further."
players: "if you develop it further, we will play it."
In the end the loss is on both sides.

I agree that a CG - even if the reward was just credits, no decal or skin (because let's face it - they're chinchy **** that won't give that up) - pinpointing CQC would help immensely. The squadron leaderboards will help, too, but not enough. CQC won't thrive on just a handful of dedicated squadrons. PvP-oriented features in ANY game require non-group folks to at least be interested and dip in on occasion.

Beyond that, it really doesn't need that much development in my opinion...CQC would be a nice distraction from the usual grind of the game for most, if it worked to begin with. I've YET to play a CQC match because in what now exceeds at least fifty attempts, I've not gotten a match on PS4. From the sounds of it, I should be glad I didn't.

CQC is not developed because of lack of players. Duh. What they need to do is hold events like tournaments and community goals for the amount of kills gotten. It also needs the tapain, guardian fighters and maybe a thargoid fighter - a.k.a scouts. And maybe more weapons. Practice sessions, where playing against players won't affect your stats

1. Does Frontier have any plans to update or change CqC?
For one thing i know Frontier most likely has no plans to answer anywhere besides official threads.
Shame. I would love to spend some time in CQC. Had no luck finding players though.
It has potential. It would also be awesome to see CQC servers running while server wide game update is being applied.

A CG feels like a do-able spur, maybe as a 'search for new combat pilots' intro to one of the new staged versions. (Like ideally a CG that ended with a new SLF being added would be sound, but I think we know not to expect that much 'core' dev right now ;))

A CG feels like a do-able spur, maybe as a 'search for new combat pilots' intro to one of the new staged versions. (Like ideally a CG that ended with a new SLF being added would be sound, but I think we know not to expect that much 'core' dev right now ;))

Could be used to get the guardian fighters in. Feels like that would be minimal effort and a cool result. Especially with the new faction that have a station out in guardian ruins land.

I got this reply on Facebook the 2nd of may:

Thanks for getting in touch :)

It's great to know that you are recruiting new commanders to get involved in CQC. We also appreciate the effort that you have made in order to write these questions.

Unfortunately I am not permitted to answer a couple of your queries as some information is classified, but I apologise for that.

To answer your first question, I believe that CQC was updated quite recently, however I am unable to disclose how much it will change in future.

In regards to your queries on ship decals, and a CQC community event, this is a great idea! Should you wish to see these implemented then please do voice yourself on our feedback forum: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/.../elite-dangerous.../

Finally, in regards to your questions on the future plans of CQC, in-game assets and Elite in general, I can assure you that Elite always has some fabulous stuff in store for the future, but unfortunately until this has been announced, we will be unable to disclose any information.

I apologise for the lack of information that I have been able to provide you but hope that I have been able to be a little informative.

Please let us know if you have anymore queries.

CMDR Sputnik

I think CQC is fantastic but the chances of finding a match are currently too low.

While the training on flying fighters is excellent, I hardly ever fly them myself in the main game. Would CQC become more accessible / popular if there were leagues by weight (where you can always fight above your weight category but never below it)?
SLF (Featherweight)
Small Hull <100 tonnes
Small Hull >=100 tonnes
Medium Hull < 250 tonnes
Medium Hull >= 250 tonnes
Large Hull (Heavyweight)
The skill you acquire in CQC is then more directly applicable in the main game.

Last edited:
I would like there to be cqc and srv "sports" arenas
maybe combat and racing for each.
With significant credits/faction rewards to the victor.
and yeh, maybe add a queuing system from your cockpit

facepalm.png

i would also like to see something like a decal at least , for all the effort put in to CqC , also by the players , its nice to get some recognision
players for the effort playing, and the team behind it gets the credit it deserves to , plenty people play CqC
the combat, explorer, trade ranks are not even half as hard to get elite ......, combined .. just saying :)
plz make quad elite decals , CqC rank decals <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom