Rev-Enging Mission Boards

EDIT: Did anyone take notes or have a quick summary of things?
I don't think so .. mine would be:

• Dom covered mission scripting with (impossible to read) examples
  • Dom covered mission generation (as above)
  • Quick walkthrough of mission wrinkles in Patch 8 - retrieve items from NPCs
  • Zac showed emote examples (+ there will be hotkeys for emotes)
  • Nice demo of m/s interiors - worth a look not just an outpost dumped into a m/s
  • Good views from the windows in the m/s
  • Highlight - there are working escape pods - so if you get stuck on a m/s on foot you can escape to civilisation!

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier
Worth watching the first part of today stream with Dom - he talks about where missions are created in EDH/EDO. Not sure it works the way he says ...

View attachment 269647
(basically it uses the closest 20 Ly for missions + one of the yellow blocks of systems + Colonia, and in EDO one of the neighbouring yellows (shown in orange) and slightly larger.)
Colonia is top left, I missed it at first :)

From 27:55
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1181123113
Hi there,

Absolutely works the way I say it does... But I have run a test thorughout today and there does indeed appear to be a subtle bug causing the remote system collections (yellow and orange) to ocassionally get stuck in a persistent unready state that looks like it can build up over time and result in the issue you and others have mentioned where longer distance missions are more prevalent immediately after reboot and fade away over time.

For completeness, here's what I said about how these work:

In Beyond:
When generating a mission, the systems the template is allowed to consider are :-
  • 12ly centred around Colonia system (always, in case this is a super long range mission - pale green in top left of image)
  • 20ly around the system we're generating missions for (always - green in image)
  • 12ly randomly selected in-bubble system collection (One of several that we rotate periodically - yellow in image)
This gives us a bit of variety and allows longer range in-bubble missions a target while maintaining that we always have Colonia available for super long range and the immediuate area for normal range missions.

In Odyssey
When generating a mission, the systems the template is allowed to consider are :-
  • 12ly centred around Colonia system (always, in case this is a super long range mission - pale green in top left of image)
  • 20ly around the system we're generating missions for (always - green in image)
  • 20ly randomly selected in-bubble system collection (One of several that we rotate periodically - yellow in image)
  • 20ly in-bubble system collection (Any of our randomly projected collections that overlap with the local area - orange in image)

Thanks,
Dom

Absolutely works the way I say it does... But I have run a test thorughout today and there does indeed appear to be a subtle bug causing the remote system collections (yellow and orange) to ocassionally get stuck in a persistent unready state that looks like it can build up over time and result in the issue you and others have mentioned where longer distance missions are more prevalent immediately after reboot and fade away over time.
Thanks Dom! Sounds like what we are seeing (y)

If they do change this - it could be quite major? Presumably if missions can come from the locations Dom talks about more regularly the boards will be far less grindable / stackable / useful for the BGS. Maybe one of the larger changes we've seen. Could be interesting :)

If they do change this - it could be quite major? Presumably if missions can come from the locations Dom talks about more regularly the boards will be far less grindable / stackable / useful for the BGS. Maybe one of the larger changes we've seen. Could be interesting :)
Yes, could make quite a big difference. I would expect a few "hey, I liked that bug, put it back!" calls.

It'll be interesting for the Colonia Tourism stations, too.

One can only hope (ok, that emoji was way more extreme than was needed... I was more going for something like this... )

I do wonder though... if there's issues gumming up the way these mission types are generated... are the same issues gumming up other mission types which will also get resolved? Like, situations say like with Robigo/Sothis tourism runs... there's absolutely other plausible tourism runs within range; but they simply do not generate... or how when you get surface installation scan/powerplant destruction missions, they always target the same installations (mostly) regardless of faction ownership, and ignore a host of others?

Last edited:
I wonder if they've rolled out Dom's changes to the mission generation ... I wouldn't expect missions like this so long after the restart?

1638465029726.png

or maybe I just don't usually pay attention 🤷‍♀️

Thwarptide

Banned
Technically, the tourist missions out of Robigo aren’t all to Sothis. Its the predominant mission, yes. But there are enough long distance missions there to soothe someones (NOT ME) itch for very long endurance routes.
The problem is that Robigo Mines offers medium landing facilities. Luxury liners are not an option there. Its 500 ly from the bubble so nobody is going to run out there just to grab those.
In my opinion Robigo has become a sort of Mecca for those who need a big cash fix; as such tons of noobs have turned it AND the 3 other systems into FC Parking lot’s. It has its nitch.
But plenty of newish players think getting an FC early in their game career is the key to their success. ”Thats cool, I godda have that! “
But they did nothing more than outfit a standard Dolphin or a Python, go to Robigo, grind out $5 billion only to realize the expensive maintainance costs will keep them there, slaves to a flying mega-brick that to them serves no purpose other than the coolness factor.
The end result being, a few get disgruntled and quit playing altogether, you’ll see a few FCs getting decommissioned out there.

Incidentally, it's 0425 Sunday 9th Jan, and I just noticed that all the wing delivery missions on the board are to destinations up to 200ly away.

1641702360200.png

Everything else is within 20Ly

Top Bottom