Revisiting rares trading

So I decided to have another go at trading in rares.
Is this the best way to earn credits? No!
But there's more to the game than earning credits, and I find trading a lot more fun when I figure it all out myself, than just doing whatever EDDB.IO says is the current best trade.

The market caps of available tons of rares seem to have changed!
I picked up 66 tons of Altairian skins in one go. Altair-Solo orbiter used to have a 22 ton market cap.
And 72 tons of Pantaa prayer sticks, while this used to have a 36 ton market cap.
The market caps seem to have been doubled or tripled, so filling up the hold is a lot quicker than it used to be.
With a single cargohold of 208 tons in my python I can fill up the hold with just 4 jumps and earn 3.5 million Cr profit when I sell them at the required distance. So that's not bad at all.
Selling 208 tons of rares is just shy of instantly becoming allied to a ruling faction, so that's an added bonus.

But alas, my old notes on rares where never anywhere near complete, and are very much out of date.
The info on the Wiki and on Inara.cz is somewhat limited. The distance from Sol is nice to know, but how do you work out which system to visit next?
Cmdr Dragonic's old spreadsheet was quite the treasure (credit to him), but now out of date and missing 21 rare items.
So I've spent a full day of mucking about in excel, and I made a new excel sheet. With all 141 rare items, room for personal notes, and hopefully easily legible and easy to use.

This sheet is still very much a WORK IN PROGRESS. Here's a dropbox link, I will update the sheet as I go.
If you're interested in trading in rares, give this sheet a go. It's not perfect or finished. Some data is from the ED Wiki, some from Inara.cz, some from eddb.io, some from Cmdr Dragonic's spreadsheet, some from my own old notes. So things may be out of date or incomplete. I will update and make changes as I go.

Oh, great, another spreadsheet with rares ... woohoo ...
Yes! There are 2 things about my new sheet that I like.

First of all it can calculate the distance to all other systems from your current location, so you can find the next closest one. You just have to set the coordinates of your current location. If you're loading up on Onion Head in the Kappa Fornacis system, the sheet tells you that the Tanmark system (17,1 Ly) is the next closest system with rares.
Cmdr Dragonic's spreadsheet did this too, but in 120 columns. My spreadsheet uses a single column so it becomes more legible and easier to find your next stop. But you do have to interact with the spreadsheet to do so, copy and paste your coordinates to set your current location, then sort the column of distances from you. Maybe that's a bit clunky, but it works for me.

And second, every column is filtered! Do you want to sort systems by distance from you? Click the filter and sort! Don't want any station further away than 2000 Ls? Add a <2000 filter! Or any other distance you'd prefer. Don't want to trade with those glue sniffing, window licking Alliance people? Just filter them out! Permit systems? Filter! Do you want to stay 100 Ly away from Sol, so you can make a nice big loop? Filter! You can add any filter you like and sort on each column of data. Or simply hide entire columns if that data is irrelevant to you. Don't care if goods are illegal? Just hide that column.

Any suggestions are welcome! Like the colors I used to grade the coordinates, I'm definitely still on the fence about those.

Last edited:
I think you guys may be right. This would mean that tho old values are indeed not out of date.
Azeban city had 4x the cap, 32 instead of 8. I will move the qty column in the personal notes next to the quantity tonnage cap column, so it's easy to spot in the list. I also want to move the check date next to that, again, so it's easier to spot.

Maybe I'll add another column with the amount of tons added to the market per game tick. But that won't be useful until you're doing a short loop quickly.

Last edited:
Ok, so I did some flying and visited 14 locations that were on the list (excel sheet is updated).

3 of those locations do not have their rare goods for sale (anymore?), these are:
HIP 118311 Swarm - Lubbock Market - HIP 118311
Eden Apples of Aerial - Andrade Legacy - Aerial
Yaso Kondi Leaf - Wheeler Market - Yaso Kondi.

And the Tiegfries Synthsilk from the Tiegfries system at Larbalestier Dock was remarkeable as well. Because ... they've MOVED the station! It is now hanging out around the Tiegfries B star, at a distance of 563,034 Ls.
I mean, who moves a station? The Flat Galaxy Society! That's who! No, I'm not making this up, the Flat Galaxy Society is the ruling faction in this system.
I went there, topped out at 1010C. They had 45 tons of Synthsilk available.

Also, Larbalestier Dock is an outpost, so the largest available landing pad is an M. I've added an "(M)" to the stations name. If I find more outposts I may move this to it's own column later.

Inara.cz has updated (9 days ago) the location of this station. But their rare comodities list still states a distance of 498Ls.

some updates after my distant rares tour.

currently blocked are:
  • Borasetani Pathogenetics
  • Gilya Signature Weapons
  • HIP 118311 Swarm
  • Motrona Experience Jelly
  • Pavonis Ear Grubs (Hutton Truckers - help!)
  • Wolf Fesh

... potentially i might have missed one or two.

here, for those who might be interested, some current boom caps:
Banki Amphibious Leather: 27
Honesty Pills: 39
Geawen Dance Dust : 45
Medb Starlube : 77
Anduliga Fire Works : 24
Mokojing Beast Feast : 7
Burnham Bile Distillate : 36 (Expansion)
Uzumoku Low-G Wings : 28
Sothis Crystalline Gold: 30
Ceti Rabbits : 18
Aepyornis Egg : 14
Gerasian Gueuze Beer : 60
LTT Hyper Sweet : 29
Cherbones Blood Crystals : 72
Havasupai Dream Catcher : 24
Mechucos High Tea : 32
Mukusubii Chitin-os : 23
V Herculis Body Rub : 30
to save you some trouble, here are more currently blocked (not available) rares.

Thank you @goemon , your data has been added.

Because of yesterdays visit to the Tiegfries system, I looked up all of the stations on my list on eddb.io, and I found that about half of them had a discrepancy in the distance of 1 or a few Ls. That's not a big deal. But 14 of them have moved quite a bit:
Brandenstein Port - Mechucos - 535,476 Ls -> 3,036 Ls
Clauss Hub - Vanayequi - 1,239,533 Ls -> 81 Ls
Ehrlich Orbital - LFT 1421 - 517,162 Ls -> 774,381 Ls
Fort Klarix - Utgaroar - 4349 Ls -> 172 Ls
Gordon Terminal - Tiolce - 498 Ls -> 158 Ls
Greeboski's Terminal - Phiagre - 325 Ls -> 85 Ls
Guest Installation - Uszaa - 2199 Ls -> 4350 Ls
Kaku Plant (M) - V1090 Herculis - 505,517 Ls -> 1,239,567 Ls
Langford Enterprise - 17 Lyrae - 7,357 Ls -> 2,200 Ls
Lee Mines (M) - Vidavanta - 1,083 Ls -> 517,189 Ls
Sverdrup Ring - Uzumoku - 172 Ls -> 505,508 Ls
Tailor City - Vega (permit) - 81 Ls -> 1,083 Ls
Tsunenaga Orbital - Toxandji - 158 Ls -> 7,337 Ls
Vernadsky Dock - Volkhab - 774,386 Ls -> 395 Ls

I've updated all station distances on my list, according to eddb.io.

About Tiegfries, the station may have moved, but there was something else. Inara.cz lists Lambert Dock as the station with the rare commodity, but it's not Lambert Dock anymore, it's Larbalestier Dock (M). This gets me thinking, I now have 8 rare commodities marked as unavailable. Are they unavailable, or have they been moved to a different station?

I found that on older lists the Ngandandari Fire Opals were listed at Consolmagno Horizons, but that station no longer exists.
The Fire Opals are now listed at Ngandandari - Napier Terminal (M) 501,375 Ls.

I found 7 stations that were outposts, so I've added a column for landing pad sizes.

the ones i have listed as blocked are blocked due to controlling faction (a rare isn't produced if illegal at that station). so, without a regime change there, they won't be available.

witchhaul kobe leaf may have been unavailable due to a state like outbreak (you can't buy food during outbreak), or infrastructure failure (no goods to sell at all) - it's not blocked by the controlling faction, i bought it very recently.

Limoncello Lizard used to keep an eye on "rares" systems and manipulating the BGS to keep rare goods available. Heck, whenever he requested help in the forums, I'd lend a hand when I could. I haven't seen a post from LL in sometime, but one could try sending a message to him. If anyone in Elite D is a rares guru, LL would probably be it.

I also agree with you, Threeofseven. There's a ton of potential with rares. Good, old-fashioned, wholesome smuggling comes to mind. Or smuggling missions where you might be required to run a blockade, avoid being scanned, tight delivery times for medical emergencies, avoiding army of npc pirates wanting tasty cargo, etc etc. But pfft, what do I know.

SR o7

Still can not pirate Rares (or any other commodities) from megaships. That is how I wanted to build my collection.

Is the old rares loop still valid? The one that allows you to pretty much pick up all the rares on your journey.
yes and no. yes as in: route still works. no as in you run into the problem of cargo.

with the new maximum allocations, you run into the problem of not having any ship ingamefor running an all rares route because cargo. yesterdaytheir were 400t of soontill relicts at once on the market (i will note - that is a rare case!), and the next stop would be irukama - in boom, too, 80 giant irukama snakes. now you are already looking at 480t of cargo and you haven't even covered 70 ly....

http://zoy.rf.gd/rares/ has a route for all rares in boom - but it is as of now (probaly soon, though) not taking into account the blocked rares, which just got blocked again with the FC update.

yes and no. yes as in: route still works. no as in you run into the problem of cargo.

with the new maximum allocations, you run into the problem of not having any ship ingamefor running an all rares route because cargo. yesterdaytheir were 400t of soontill relicts at once on the market (i will note - that is a rare case!), and the next stop would be irukama - in boom, too, 80 giant irukama snakes. now you are already looking at 480t of cargo and you haven't even covered 70 ly....

http://zoy.rf.gd/rares/ has a route for all rares in boom - but it is as of now (probaly soon, though) not taking into account the blocked rares, which just got blocked again with the FC update.

You could still do it in a Cutter....

no you can't, as many rare goods selling stations are m-pad only :)
(that said .... a boom-L-Pad-only-rares route or so could be fun... don't know a tool doing that)
Oops, I forgot about that. Maybe people could compare an M pad route to an L pad route while they are at it.....

I miss Limoncello Lizard.

I also liked rares trading in a Cobra or T-6

3265x8401.jpg

Borasetani Pathogenetics is interesting as we were happliy selling them last time I looked, so either a state blocks selling of them or Fdev has fiddled in the background again

Interesting. It’s a good thing OP said that it isn’t the best way to earn money cause otherwise a million guys would say “oh that‘s nothing” or “..I can make more money pulling hairs from my frogs ass and selling them” or something.

Top Bottom