Rift hdmi port users

Of course I don't believe any of this and I ordered a cable right away.

I knew of this effect with TV sets and HDMI and how to get around it... But i was blind enough, not to think of it, when using a Rift... Its no magic, but it works like a charm.

Ur all welcome. As Frank G says, true black i couldn't put my finger on it because it was a day or so since id used the rift but knew it was far better using display port. Much more detail & colour.
Enjoy + get ordering!

I actually tried the original setup first and then used the adapter. The direct comparison is a true eye-opener. Even without, the difference will be so obvious, that it is instantly noticible.

Last edited:
I actually tried the original setup first and then used the adapter. The direct comparison is a true eye-opener. Even without, the difference will be so obvious, that it is instantly noticible.

Thats how it was for me, i left my ship in a high res site and as soon as the cockpit loaded and i looked out the difference was instantly noticeable, then an Anaconda fly past me and i looked up and saw more detail than ever before. Really does make a big difference, i think oculus should have made it display port native instead of hdmi - wonder why that is :/

I've tried a multitude of Hdmi-> Mini-DP adapters (yes 4K ones and the Oculus recommended ones and community recommended ones) and have had zero luck on my R9295X2. I ended up just ordering a new 1080, so annoying [cry]

I've tried a multitude of Hdmi-> Mini-DP adapters (yes 4K ones and the Oculus recommended ones and community recommended ones) and have had zero luck on my R9295X2. I ended up just ordering a new 1080, so annoying [cry]

U wont be disappointed with the 1080 its a hell of a card. Try the rift using hdmi first, then swap to display port.

So I just tried it, honestly don't see much of a difference at all. I will do some more comparisons, but so far its about the same.

Edit: I tried it again, switched to HDMI, loaded game, checked out blacks/smearing/etc, then switched to DP to HDMI adapter and did the same, went to same places, etc. I can't see a difference at all.

This is the adapter I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1DDNN8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
So I just tried it, honestly don't see much of a difference at all. I will do some more comparisons, but so far its about the same.

Edit: I tried it again, switched to HDMI, loaded game, checked out blacks/smearing/etc, then switched to DP to HDMI adapter and did the same, went to same places, etc. I can't see a difference at all.

This is the adapter I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1DDNN8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting.. what gfx card do you have? im wondering if its an nvidia or recent build thing. I do see a difference in adapters, the one im using specifically says Display Port 1.2 < yours doesnt. Cant see any specs either.

Last edited:
Interesting.. what gfx card do you have? im wondering if its an nvidia or recent build thing. I do see a difference in adapters, the one im using specifically says Display Port 1.2 < yours doesnt. Cant see any specs either.
I have an nvidia 980ti

Then i suggest the adapter you have isnt DP 1.2. If you read up on the differences it describes the differences we are seeing.

Yeah, the old lossy vs lossless image compression thing, but this was so obvious in this case... Going from 80% dirty and smeared grey to solid black is nothing one can miss... I mean looking at a planet and seeing a washed out sphere with a brighter edge or looking at a sharp bright skythe and deep black is not only sharper or more saturated. Its a different picture. Must be noticible by everyone.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Im pretty sure the adapter has to be not only DP-hdmi but DP 1.2-hdmi. Interestingly, my 1080 has DP 1.4 so im now looking for a DP1.4-hdmi adapter.

http://techreport.com/news/18328/displayport-1-2-spec-doubles-bandwidth-adds-features

Theres a nice readup on display port features and the difference between DP and DP1.2. .... now to get that DP1.4-hdmi adapter and see what improvements if any that brings ^_^

Keep the infos coming. :)

It's a shame we can't get any comparison shots.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Im pretty sure the adapter has to be not only DP-hdmi but DP 1.2-hdmi. Interestingly, my 1080 has DP 1.4 so im now looking for a DP1.4-hdmi adapter.

http://techreport.com/news/18328/displayport-1-2-spec-doubles-bandwidth-adds-features

Theres a nice readup on display port features and the difference between DP and DP1.2. .... now to get that DP1.4-hdmi adapter and see what improvements if any that brings ^_^

I can't find any DP1.4 adapters on Amazon. Are they even available ?

Top Bottom