River Island Sanctuary - MiniZoo

Hallo everyone,
this is the first time I'm posting something I made here and would love to your thoughts. Hope you'll like it!

Screenshot 1.png

Steam Link:
River Island Sanctuary by JuriA

River Island Sanctuary was created for a MiniZoo Challange a while ago. The theme was 'Riverboat/Tropical Zoo' and one had to include an Animal Rescue Center, a Beach Bar as well as one free to choose build we really enjoyed working on.
Space: 24.000 m²
3 special viewpoints
Animals: at least 7 animals, while two of them had to be pack/group-living animals - and 2 exhibit animals
  • also, the animals have to cover all 7 biomes of Planet Zoo
  • animal wellfare over 85% and Hard Shelter 100%
Visitors wellfare over 70%

The zoo file was played on Hard mode and had to reach 4 stars.
All was built before the 1.5.0 update!

Known Bugs:
  • Underwater Box feeders say the cannot be reached by keepers
  • CWF Capuchin and Refugium space requirement: just select and move the climbing strucktures, set them and then undo. This fixes the problem
  • Animal talk: facility inaccessible - can be ignored, they are being used
  • Guest are getting stuck on stairs in the Information Center - have to be moved by hand
  • Board 36 is placed too far away from target animal... yeah, that's on me, the lovely update had not dropped at the date I uploaded everything to Steam

Last edited:
THE SANCTUARY

River Island Sanctuary currently offers an incredible 24,000 square meters of natural habitats to its 91 animal inhabitants to enjoy. Everything is designed to ensure the animals welfare remains top priority, even with the numerous modern comforts we provide our guests.

11.png

The facility is a safe place where the animals are taken care for the rest of their lives. Unlike animal shelters, sanctuaries do not seek to place or adopt out animals with individuals or groups. Our programme rescues animals from horrific captive situations and rehabilitate them so they can live and roam freely within their natural habitats with others of their own kind.

9.png

We have opened our doors to the public so you can visit the Island and meet the animals, but you can also contribute to our work by volunteering, monetary contributions, donations of food and materials and – most importantly – spreading the word. The most important mission beyond caring for the animals is education.

6.png

Last edited:
OUR MISSION

The Sanctuary's two primary missions involve rescuing and caring for animals - and educating people about the Captive Wildlife Crisis. To that end, we invite people who want to learn more about the work we do to visit our unique facility in person. However, the sanctuary is not a Zoo in the common sense of the word, and offers a different experience than what most people are used to.

10.png

We want to offer a safe haven where the animals receive the best care we can provide. The resident animals are not bought, sold, breed or traded.

16.png

The ultimate goal of many sanctuaries is to change the way that humans think of and treat nonhuman animals. Within its space we also created opportunities for seminars, training events and educational speaks to take place.

19.png

22.png

Last edited:
THE ANIMALS

Our rescued animals live in large habitats and are never forced to remain front and centre just so people can see them easier. Yet there are many places across the island that provide plenty of opportunities for our guests to catch a glimpse of the animals.

13.png

It's very important that people come to the sanctuary for the right reasons and not just for entertainment. With the many people visiting yearly, it's obvious the sanctuary is an amazing place to visit and learn – yet, we purposely do not strive to attract the million visitors that would normally come to the other zoos. Instead, the vast majority of visitors to the sanctuary came to experience a serene setting.

14.png

Every animal living in the sanctuary was either rescued from an illegal or abusive situation, was handed over after a custom seizure or surrendered from private owners who are no longer able to provide adequate care for them.

12.png

Current Numbers:
Rescue – 22 animals
Custom Seizure – 36 animals
Pet surrender – 21 animals
Refugium - 11 animal
Born at Sanctuary - 1 animal

17.png

THE REFUGIUM

River Island Sanctuary operates a rescue centre for orphaned primates in cooperation with the Four Paws Project that takes in injured or orphaned primates. Their long-term goal is to return all animals to the wild, but only if the animals have no debilitating injuries or diseases and are deemed fit enough to survive – about ten animals reach are able to return to the wild each year.

7.png

Any animals that would be unlikely to survive if returned to the wild find their home at the River Island Sanctuary. They join other young monkeys at the Refugium before being introduced to the existing monkey groups on the island so they’d be able to spend their live as appropriately as possible.

20.png
21.png

OVERVIEW

So, what animals will you be able to see and where are they? Not a probleme let's have a look at the map:

27.png

Maybe a bit closer...

Karte - tiereweg1.png

There you go! These are the animals and all the paths one can take to explore the Sanctuary. Make sure to not get lost.

• Aardvark / Erdferkel
  • Colombian White-Faced Capuchin Monkey / Kapuzineraffe
  • Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman / Caiman
  • Galapagos Giant Tortoise - Galapagos Riesenschildkröte
  • Giant Otter
  • Gorilla
  • Himalayan Brown Bear / Isabellbär
  • Okapi
  • Ring Tailed Lemur / Katta
  • Red Ruffed Lemur / Vari

1 Diamondback Terrapin
2 Eastern Blue Tongued Lizard / Östlicher Blauzungenskink
3 Mexican Red Knee Tarantula / Mexikanische Rotknie-Vogelspinne
4 Goliath Frog / Goliath Frosch
5 Yellow Anaconda / Gelbe Anakonda

One might notice, there are no staff facilities seen anywhere, well... I promise they are there. Just keep your eyes open and don't be shy to go through the 'Staff Only' signs ;3

Steam Link:
River Island Sanctuary by JuriA

Hope you enjoy your visit!!

PS:
I would very appreciate if you could give me a feedback on your thought about this project. I really enjoyed building and kinda got lost in Planet Zoo for a while xD

Last edited:
Really awesome project and concept! I'm surprised you have a Himalayan brown bear in such a tropical location rather than, say, a Formosan bear (which are commonly the victims of the illegal pet and medicine trade in Asia) or the sun bear, but it doesn't take away from anything.

Really awesome project and concept! I'm surprised you have a Himalayan brown bear in such a tropical location rather than, say, a Formosan bear (which are commonly the victims of the illegal pet and medicine trade in Asia) or the sun bear, but it doesn't take away from anything.
Thank you!^^ Sadly, the sun bear wasn't released yet at the point I finished the project. For the challenge, I had to include animals from all 7 bioms and I didn't feel like adding Seals to the island, so it had to be the Himalayan brown bear as he covered both bioms perfectly. Did gave me a headache, not gonna lie xD

Top Bottom