RP missions for rescue capsules

I hawe idea for a new type of mission. Like when your ship was destroyed, you would be catapulted on a rescue capsule and you would have the choice to teleport for 2 millions or % of the ship's insurance instantly after 2 minutes, or decide to wait for the rescue operation for 7-15 minutes. Namely, let a letter come to online players about an additional task and whoever accepted it first disables the button for other players. After the capsule is lifted on board, a 7-10 min timer would turn on during which the rescuer would have to take the rescue capsule to the nearest station and receive a reward for 2 millions or % of cost destroyed ship. If the player does not arrive and 10 minutes have passed, then all the control will be transferred to the hands of npc for free. How do you like the idea?

Hmm. Some thoughs on this:
  • We veteran players really rarely loose our vastly overpowered engineered ships. I can go AFK in a CZ for a while without problem. So in what szenario do we blow up? Something like the pizza guy rings, you go AFK while in combat, pick up the pizza, eat it and watch a movie and when the movie is over you remember that ED is still running... you might still be on time to survive.
  • And if we blow up, the mentioned 2 millions don't matter at all. We would not even notice them.
  • At the same time, a new player, who does not even own two millions, might then have to wait for 15 minutes, hoping that no player takes the mission. For if a player takes the mission, he might wait another 10 minutes in the players cargo hold. So 25 minutes of "no gameplay, just wait, play another game or watch NetFlix".

Do you really think that a new player, who is the most likely or even only person to ever experience this harsh punishment, really will enjoy this part of gameplay? I doubt it. ED already now has severe problems of both appealing to new players and even more in keeping new players. (Curse about statistics as much as you like, but when looking through ED-related achievements on steam, you will find that there is an insane number of people with only a few hours clocked on the game and the achievements merely being to have done the tutorial and a few flights, but never making it out of the Sidewinder. )

In my eyes this suggestion would do a LOT of harm to all new players and add a new level of grieving potential ("now you are in my cargo hold and you stay there till the timer runs out"), for the limited benefit of a player possibly and randomly spotting the "rescue player excape pod" mission, in the unlikely case that he is actually a good and helpful player, in the same system and instance as the player needing help.

So really a lot of "ifs" and conditions on the positive side and several huge, painful and always active things on the negative side. I am clearly against it.

Hmm. Some thoughs on this:
  • We veteran players really rarely loose our vastly overpowered engineered ships. I can go AFK in a CZ for a while without problem. So in what szenario do we blow up? Something like the pizza guy rings, you go AFK while in combat, pick up the pizza, eat it and watch a movie and when the movie is over you remember that ED is still running... you might still be on time to survive.
  • And if we blow up, the mentioned 2 millions don't matter at all. We would not even notice them.
  • At the same time, a new player, who does not even own two millions, might then have to wait for 15 minutes, hoping that no player takes the mission. For if a player takes the mission, he might wait another 10 minutes in the players cargo hold. So 25 minutes of "no gameplay, just wait, play another game or watch NetFlix".

Do you really think that a new player, who is the most likely or even only person to ever experience this harsh punishment, really will enjoy this part of gameplay? I doubt it. ED already now has severe problems of both appealing to new players and even more in keeping new players. (Curse about statistics as much as you like, but when looking through ED-related achievements on steam, you will find that there is an insane number of people with only a few hours clocked on the game and the achievements merely being to have done the tutorial and a few flights, but never making it out of the Sidewinder. )

In my eyes this suggestion would do a LOT of harm to all new players and add a new level of grieving potential ("now you are in my cargo hold and you stay there till the timer runs out"), for the limited benefit of a player possibly and randomly spotting the "rescue player excape pod" mission, in the unlikely case that he is actually a good and helpful player, in the same system and instance as the player needing help.

So really a lot of "ifs" and conditions on the positive side and several huge, painful and always active things on the negative side. I am clearly against it.
if against - pay + 25% of the insurance value for your destroyed ship and teleport instantly! Anyone who decides to ride you into the forest may receive a fine for an unfulfilled task. you can also be encouraged with a bonus, the faster he coped with the task, the more he received the reward. You spend hours flying between systems, and here you don't want to wait for a "taxi"? you yourself wrote that you die very rarely, and about newcomers, the amounts are not final. those who do not want to participate in role playing will be able to skip it. I think that in elite dangerous, on the contrary, it is too easy to live, there is enough money for everything and not striving for anything ... in this regard, the principle is needed "with each new stage of development, the game process and the economy should become more cruel to the player." You just need to raise the prices for repairs, refueling and ammunition according to the player's rank. otherwise, having made ten billion, having opened all the engineers, the player remains to explore the opposite edge of the galaxy, where the action is even less. the game lacks dynamism and useful interaction with other players. you also say that fuel rats are unnecessary, and you do not need to help other players save their money, as well as create a workplace for the players or a way to earn money. I'm sure if you were given the sum of 2-10 millions + 10-40% of the ship's insurance for saving the player. you would gladly do such "fishing". as well as it will make it possible to magnetize, to attach gankers to this mechanic, so role playing will be a popular and paid mechanic among PvP-minded players, stimulating them to highly profitable risks. it is only necessary to add a manual mechanism, a system with a signal setting according to the danger level, so that the player can activate an alert in the task at the expense of the threat level near the escape pod and reconfigure the request with a timer restart and reassignment by the system for other players.

No, because you used the word 'teleport'.
There is no such thing in Elite.
what a paid "teleport" should be like: you are shown a "movie" for 15-30 sec how it jumps out of hypercruise right next to the npc capsule on a ship of a new type, quickly picks up your capsule and just as quickly, literally in the next frame, throws you out of the airlock into open spacess in the area of the orbital station and you drift to its side, after which you are picked up by a patrol and the standard docking procedure takes place! By the way, in this case, you will lose all payments for the shot pirates, scanned planets, etc. You can here the race of guards and their "fantastic" technologies and the rest of the magic mixed up. what do you have, really no imagination ??? Why are these scenarios if the frontiers will still embody everything, as always, in their own way?

if against - pay + 25% of the insurance value for your destroyed ship and teleport instantly!

So the "solution" is to make it more harsh? Aha. Let's look at the rest.

Anyone who decides to ride you into the forest may receive a fine for an unfulfilled task. you can also be encouraged with a bonus, the faster he coped with the task, the more he received the reward.

How big does such a reward have to be in the present day economy that a griefer would be persuaded to rather turn the guy in on time? And how big the fine to prevent it? Without also making sure that no other player would ever go for it? (And the griefer would simply complete the mission 5 seconds before the timer ends. Big win. )

You spend hours flying between systems, and here you don't want to wait for a "taxi"? you yourself wrote that you die very rarely, and about newcomers, the amounts are not final. those who do not want to participate in role playing will be able to skip it.
Now you confuse me. You mention role playing. What you suggest does not have anything to do with role playing. Merely with making the way up steeper for the new player, punishing him for dying be either making it cost credits or by making him wait. Please don't now try to sell this suggestion as role playing.

I think that in elite dangerous, on the contrary, it is too easy to live, there is enough money for everything and not striving for anything ... in this regard, the principle is needed "with each new stage of development, the game process and the economy should become more cruel to the player." You just need to raise the prices for repairs, refueling and ammunition according to the player's rank.

Which actually at some time was tried. The community reacted badly and it was undone. Also, the statement of it being too easy is from the point of view of an experienced veteran player in a fully engineered ship. Unknown to many here, who either already entered the game as gods gift to space simulation games or have bad memory, the game has a steep learning curve. It's early in the game, where most people die a lot. And then are punished very harshly for that by this suggestion. But hey... they can then "roleplay" sitting in an escape pod and watching a movie. Awesome...

otherwise, having made ten billion, having opened all the engineers, the player remains to explore the opposite edge of the galaxy, where the action is even less. the game lacks dynamism and useful interaction with other players.

Indeed. And it's for this side of the spectrum, veteran players with all gear and plenty of credits, where we'd need more challenge. Preferably as first step, by strongly reducing the power of engineering, to both level the playing field a bit and re-introducing some challenge for veterans. This is what i would immediately support. But some punishment for new players, now cloaked as role playing, i don't.

you also say that fuel rats are unnecessary, and you do not need to help other players save their money, as well as create a workplace for the players or a way to earn money.
Where did i mention the fuel rats? I respect what they do. It's admirable. But people have options. If somebody runs out of fuel, he can contact the fuel rats. They come and help, no matter the odds. That's great. But if the one running out of fuel does not want to wait, till a fuel rat sees the request and comes from wherever, he can also self-destruct and return to base in moments.

Your suggestion goes the other way: the player in emergency will be stuck, unable to do anything. No matter what happens, all the players options are taken away from him. He is a mere object, which another player may or may not pick up, may deliver on time or may just use as playball. And considering that this games community definitely has a toxic part and is giving the game a bad reputation, more stories of "toxic mechanic implemented, toxic players use it to spoil new players fun" is not exactly what we need.

So: fuel rats are fully optional, they are wonderful and dedicated players and i really like it. A mechanic which puts a player (and as discussed, almost certainly a new player) into a bad position, is bad and thus not helping. At all.

I'm sure if you were given the sum of 2-10 millions + 10-40% of the ship's insurance for saving the player. you would gladly do such "fishing". as well as it will make it possible to magnetize, to attach gankers to this mechanic, so role playing will be a popular and paid mechanic among PvP-minded players, stimulating them to highly profitable risks. it is only necessary to add a manual mechanism, a system with a signal setting according to the danger level, so that the player can activate an alert in the task at the expense of the threat level near the escape pod and reconfigure the request with a timer restart and reassignment by the system for other players.

So, the rescuer would get like 10 millions plus half of an eagles rebuy? Or he could annoy the player for almost half an hour? What would a toxic player, with a ten digit credit counter (like most of us old players) most likely go for? And then other people would have to come for the rescue? And interact with each other? And to role play even?

Dude, you are funny, you should start a comedy!

I hawe idea for a new type of mission. Like when your ship was destroyed, you would be catapulted on a rescue capsule and you would have the choice to teleport for 2 millions or % of the ship's insurance instantly after 2 minutes, or decide to wait for the rescue operation for 7-15 minutes. Namely, let a letter come to online players about an additional task and whoever accepted it first disables the button for other players. After the capsule is lifted on board, a 7-10 min timer would turn on during which the rescuer would have to take the rescue capsule to the nearest station and receive a reward for 2 millions or % of cost destroyed ship. If the player does not arrive and 10 minutes have passed, then all the control will be transferred to the hands of npc for free. How do you like the idea?
MediCorp had made a similar request several years ago. Our specialty is escape pod recovery and rescue. We are VERY interested in having escape pods appear when a ship is destroyed (player or NPC)
That would be really cool!

Un style d'opération dans le genre des Fuel Rats, mais adapté bien sur aux nacelles...par exemple une option , appel Medicorp ou retour automatique ....

Sorry for necro, but I think there is some sense in the OP suggestion.

As an alternative to wait and do nothing it can be:
  • participating CQC via telepresence right from the escape pod :p
  • completing missions via telepresence (imagine to rescue yourself via telepresence :p if you are lucky enough to get this mission first)
  • using alternative commander profile while your main one is locked inside escape pod
  • in the end reading galnet/codex/managing bookmarks etc
The same way sending to detention center would mean that one has to spend next 10 minutes recovering their karma by completing remote missions while sitting inside prison cell (while their fellows can try to help him escape from the prison).

Last edited:
Top Bottom