Sagittarius A* visitors list

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It is fantastic to see so many intrepid CMDRs finally able to reach the landmark Sagittarius A* system now that 1.04 has fixed the Core. :) I tip my piloting hat to all of you. I'd have congratulated you all sooner, but unfortunately I have been once again... incapacitated due to events beyond my control.

I don’t know if my own journey counts, seeing as it took place in Gamma 1.04 (something about the number 1.04 and visiting the galactic centre; )) and not proper release, but for archival reasons here's my thread on my visit back in November to December 3300 (2014), when the galactic core was more sepia-toned and rose-tinted and beer-goggled:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68235

I read somewhere that black holes dont suck stuff from far distance. Not sure if black holes gravity is strong enough to overcome universe expansion at distance of several LY. So there would be accretion disc around only new black holes that are sucking there own planets or other star if its binary?

No accretion disc at Mintaka black hole either. Also no proto-vulcan colony on Mintaka 3. and this kind of make my point because objects 7500 ls away are still there.

I'm also thinking of making the journey. Unfortunately I haven't got the cash to buy an explorer ASP, so In would be doing it in Hauler instead of an ASP

edit: hmmm, a Type 6 is not that bad of a choice either. Range is a bit less than the Hauler, but has a better hull.

Last edited:
So the black hole is causing some gravitational lensing? What it is missing, it looks like, is some sort of accretion disk. But, who cares, its a cool view and an impressive journey you made.

Its not accretions disk its gravitational lensing effects

I'm also thinking of making the journey. Unfortunately I haven't got the cash to buy an explorer ASP, so In would be doing it in Hauler instead of an ASP

edit: hmmm, a Type 6 is not that bad of a choice either. Range is a bit less than the Hauler, but has a better hull.

It also has bigger windows, I like the Type 6 as an explorer

II had two cracks at Sagittarius A*, one ended just 2,600 Light Years short on Dec. 19th when I hyperspaced into a broken system and got stuck. After a bit of discussion with game support it was eventually decided they'd best return my ship back to its last docked station 25,000 LYs away while the broken sectors were looked into! Oh well.

My second attempt succeeded, after retracing my steps I got there on Jan. 8th...

Here's my video:

[video=youtube;q5kw8EcCXxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5kw8EcCXxw[/video]

I don’t know if my own journey counts, seeing as it took place in Gamma 1.04 (something about the number 1.04 and visiting the galactic centre; )) and not proper release, but for archival reasons here's my thread on my visit back in November to December 3300 (2014), when the galactic core was more sepia-toned and rose-tinted and beer-goggled:

Of course it counts! Your thread inspired a lot of players to do likewise!

I nominate you as honorary president of the Sagittarius A* club :)

Last edited:
It also has bigger windows, I like the Type 6 as an explorer
Bigger windows is definitely nice. I think tonight I'll go for exploring again. Just yesterday did I return and kitted out a Viper for bounty hunting, but I guess I'm more of an epxlorer.

edit: There needs to be a decal for this!

So the black hole is causing some gravitational lensing? What it is missing, it looks like, is some sort of accretion disk. But, who cares, its a cool view and an impressive journey you made.

Not just the accretion disk, the lethal storm of radiation coming from it that should kill any observer this close.

I nominate you as honorary president of the Sagittarius A* club ;)

Members (so far) -

CMDR Zulu Romeo (Zion Ravescene) - 1st Dec 3300 (Gamma)
CMDR Kamzel (Erimus) - 8th Jan 3301
Rekal - 10th Jan 3301
CMDR Tequila - 11th Jan 3301
ottologist - 11th Jan 3301
bigbadlynx - 13th Jan 3301
CMDR Andargor - 14th Jan 3301
CMDR Marek15 - 14th Jan 3301

Yes, Zion was the inspiration! And I corrected my name in your list :D

Congrats all fellow members!

Also, I found an Earth-Like 3.66 LY from Sag-A*.

EDIT: If any one of you had already found it I'd like to know.

Last edited:
edit: There needs to be a decal for this!

Thats a pretty interesting idea. I wounder if FD will be releasing special decals for when players achieve certain goals in the game. Maybe one for each category too, a 5,000th kill decal for combateers, a 100m trade profit decal for Traders etc...

Yes, Zion was the inspiration! And I corrected my name in your list :D

Congrats all fellow members!

Also, I found an Earth-Like 3.66 LY from Sag-A*.

EDIT: If any one of you had already found it I'd like to know.

Ah sorry about that, duly corrected :)

I think thats got to be te closest Earth type world to Sag-A*. I found a few water worlds within a 5 LY radius but no Earth-types!

What's the payout for scanning it?

That's a good question. I haven't returned with my data so I wouldn't know, I'm heading across to the far side of the galaxy at the moment and don't plan on returning for another 4 or 5 weeks.

Has anyone got back with Sag-A* data yet?

That's a good question. I haven't returned with my data so I wouldn't know, I'm heading across to the far side of the galaxy at the moment and don't plan on returning for another 4 or 5 weeks.

Neither have I, and I probably won't be back for a week or two. Also, I think there's a bug with trying to hand in a large amount of data, not sure if fixed.

EDIT: And Zion can comment on the "supermassive payout" bug fix. How much money did you get for scanning it the first time?

Last edited:
Neither have I, and I probably won't be back for a week or two. Also, I think there's a bug with trying to hand in a large amount of data, not sure if fixed.

EDIT: And Zion can comment on the "supermassive payout" bug fix. How much money did you get for scanning it the first time?

Someone said he got 138 million. :D

Hence Michael Brookes' comments about supermassive blackholes no longer giving supermassive payouts.

Sag-A* should still be worth a couple of million, surely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTGInIbD_Q
To answer the people at the beginning, you are talking about the great firewall debate where hawking then said black hole event horizon does not exist. Here is a good video, I try to link more and explain when I get home.

Also the black hole is missing the pretty dangerous near center of the accretion disk and eddition luminosity that we expect to be at the center of our galaxy.

I nominate you as honorary president of the Sagittarius A* club ;)

Members (so far) -

Anymore ?

Aw, shucks. :) I'm blushing now. ;)

As for a Sag A* visitors club, I was thinking about calling it the Archer Alpha Asterisk Alumni (because I like alliteration ;)) or AAAA, Quad-A, A4, whatever you like, just to make it sound exclusive and must-have. ;) I even imagined a special logo comprising four triangles in a Triforce pattern; the three up-pointing triangles each containing one of the Sagittarius symbol, the Greek letter alpha and an enlarged stylised asterisk from top, left and right respectively; and the central downturned triangle containing a very black circle. :)

In addition, one of the FGE's own, CMDR Laverick, reached Sagittarius A* yesterday, so that's another one to add to the guest book.

What's the payout for scanning it?

Someone said he got 138 million. :D

Hence Michael Brookes' comments about supermassive blackholes no longer giving supermassive payouts.

Sag-A* should still be worth a couple of million, surely?

It was originally closer to 140 million credits (enough to guarantee an explorer ELITE rating), but yes. :) Given the dozen or so Sag A* alumni, it will be interesting to see the payout now, but I would also still expect a few million for such a so far unique intragalactic object as the supermassive black hole.

Last edited:
Aw, shucks. :) I'm blushing now. ;)

As for a Sag A* visitors club, I was thinking about calling it the Archer Alpha Asterisk Alumni (because I like alliteration ;)) or AAAA, Quad-A, A4, whatever you like, just to make it sound exclusive and must-have. ;) I even imagined a special logo comprising four triangles in a Triforce pattern; the three up-pointing triangles each containing one of the Sagittarius symbol, the Greek letter alpha and an enlarged stylised asterisk from top, left and right respectively; and the central downturned triangle containing a very black circle. :)

That sounds cool. Can you create an emblem along those lines? Maybe we could add it to the forum signatures :)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom