Hardware & Technical Saitek x55 rhino

We have one here and it's working, it should work in Alpha 3.x but might need a custom set up.

Michael

Michael or indeed anyone! I have this stick, its working great with other games but I just cant get the thing running with ED at all and I just dont know what I am doing wrong. Its becoming really frustrating, I can get the throttle working but thats about it.

The joystick just is not showing up at all for eg then I click on a setting and move the stick in the axis I want, the game just doesnt pick it up.

I have tried a complete custom setup and to adapt on of the existing joystick profiles in ED. Used a variety of USB ports and nothing.

It is most likely something simple thats stering me in the face I know; I bet I am going to feel really stupid if someone pinpoints it too, lol.

Michael or indeed anyone! I have this stick, its working great with other games but I just cant get the thing running with ED at all and I just dont know what I am doing wrong. Its becoming really frustrating, I can get the throttle working but thats about it.

The joystick just is not showing up at all for eg then I click on a setting and move the stick in the axis I want, the game just doesnt pick it up.

I have tried a complete custom setup and to adapt on of the existing joystick profiles in ED. Used a variety of USB ports and nothing.

It is most likely something simple thats stering me in the face I know; I bet I am going to feel really stupid if someone pinpoints it too, lol.

Do you have alpha access? Have you installed both latest drivers and software? Does joystick work in Windows (does "set up USB game controllers" take input from joystick)?

I have never had any problems with X55 since I have received it more than a month ago.

I am lefthanded,and these joysticks would be problematic for me to use,so i was wondering. Would something like a Saitek Flight Yoke System work fine? -->
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html

The Thrustmaster T.16000M is supposed to be good for a leftie, and a good stick overall.

As for the Rhino I find Saitek's build quality and ergonomics unacceptable, and went for a full CH HOTAS with pedals. The Pro Throttle USB is particularly lovely, and a great companion for any stick.

The Thrustmaster T.16000M is supposed to be good for a leftie, and a good stick overall.

As for the Rhino I find Saitek's build quality and ergonomics unacceptable, and went for a full CH HOTAS with pedals. The Pro Throttle USB is particularly lovely, and a great companion for any stick.

Soory, I do not see any problems with Rhino ergonomics and build quality.

Do you have alpha access? Have you installed both latest drivers and software? Does joystick work in Windows (does "set up USB game controllers" take input from joystick)?

I have never had any problems with X55 since I have received it more than a month ago.

So I plugged it all in again this morning and worked fine. I have absolutely no idea why the game was not picking the stick up last night.

I had already updated drivers and software and alpha access, it did indeed work fine in windows. It was just so odd for the throttle to work perfect and no stick there at all. I even did several reboots of PC and reinstalled game and nothing.

I am still scratching my had about what went on.

As for the leftie thing I myself am left handed and just decided a few years ago to bite the bullet and learn to use eight hand as got bored resetting up mouse ect for myself and due to lack of periferals. It takes time but was deffinatly worth it as I now can use any controller I want.

Only problems I have with the stick is it would be nice if the metal toggle switches stayed in an on or off position if that makes sense. There is also a small amount of side movement with these switches. The awkward thing for me is fact I am a small woman, so have little hands making it slightly awkward to reach all the buttons and use the hand rest but this is something I can adapt to. For my husband it fits perfect.

Last edited:
So I plugged it all in again this morning and worked fine. I have absolutely no idea why the game was not picking the stick up last night.

I had already updated drivers and software and alpha access, it did indeed work fine in windows. It was just so odd for the throttle to work perfect and no stick there at all. I even did several reboots of PC and reinstalled game and nothing.

I am still scratching my had about what went on.

As for the leftie thing I myself am left handed and just decided a few years ago to bite the bullet and learn to use eight hand as got bored resetting up mouse ect for myself and due to lack of periferals. It takes time but was deffinatly worth it as I now can use any controller I want.

Only problems I have with the stick is it would be nice if the metal toggle switches stayed in an on or off position if that makes sense. There is also a small amount of side movement with these switches. The awkward thing for me is fact I am a small woman, so have little hands making it slightly awkward to reach all the buttons and use the hand rest but this is something I can adapt to. For my husband it fits perfect.

I'm glad that everything works now.

As for buttons - I do not see the necessity of using all buttons now as there are more buttons than I need to assign. I am not using buttons A, B and hat H1 as it is a little hard for me to reach them.

I like the mechanics of toggle switches. If they would stay in ON/OFF position all the time it would require additional effort to remember that position.

I would like to have the ability to assign sensors range to RTY3 or RTY4 but unfortunately this does not work right. It has only two positions - minimum and maximum range.

I ordered one of these on Thursday night after seeing in the live stream someone else had managed to get one and the Game Shark have them in stock again - not received it yet so couldn't comment on it yet, but the reviews look promising.

Anyone got one of these and using it with elite dangerous? Some impressions would be good
Thanks
I do have one on pre-order so don't slag it off too hard ;)

I saw one advertised on Amazon but I think I'll stick with my fly5. While the fly5 might not have as many buttons it does work perfectly well with the game and I think that the almost £194 asking price from Amazon is just a bit too much for a joystick anyway. Sorry!

I saw one advertised on Amazon but I think I'll stick with my fly5. While the fly5 might not have as many buttons it does work perfectly well with the game and I think that the almost £194 asking price from Amazon is just a bit too much for a joystick anyway. Sorry!

That's insane price. However, it is listed at 170.80EUR at amazon.de. You could by it from there. I always check all amazon websites for the best offer (fr, de, co.uk).

Personally I have pre-ordered mine at amazon.fr the 20.02 for 178.99EUR with unknown delivery date. The 05.03 I have received e-mail with delivery date in april. Six hours later it was changed to 25.03, two hours later another e-mail to 15.03. And actually it was delivered the 13.03.

I've seen so many people comment on how Saitek sticks look plasticy and poorly built, and then say they've purchased a CH stick instead.

I just don't get that. I am yet to see a CH stick that doesn't look like it was hand-made in a garden shed in Norfolk. They may well be sturdy and reliable, but they look awful.

Everyone's taste is different I guess, but honestly the x55 is the best looking stick and throttle I have seen yet. It might well be made from plastic, but it looks pretty good for it all the same.

The Gameshark site (linked from the Saitek site to UK customers) are selling the Rhino for £169, which is a fair bit better than Amazon...

That's crazy money if it's the same cheapo build quality as the X52, I'd certainly hope that the new one is a lot better if they are asking that much for it.

I preordered one from mypilotstore.com. In the US you wont find one any cheaper than $200.... but you can find for alot more than that lol

That's crazy money if it's the same cheapo build quality as the X52, I'd certainly hope that the new one is a lot better if they are asking that much for it.

There are lots of e-tailers in Europe where you can get this joystick beginning from 170EUR. £194 is a ridiculous price.

My X-55 not work a so good..

Hi all I am new here. I played Elite back in the '80's and luv'd it.. ans have just finished building a cinema room, and a modified sim-rig infront of a 130" curved screen. For the rull Elite experience. And am very much so looking forward to it.

I got the X-55 the other day and put it all together. Only to find that the left & right throttle sticks are detected as joy-X and joy-Y on Elite. Instead of being Joy-Z, which is the throttle axis. Curiously enough, rotary1 is joyZ, when it should pick up as Joy-RY. Rotary2 is detected correctly as Joy-RX.

I downloaded DCS world to check and the same thing was the case. The action of the throttle activated both Joy-x & joy-y. The rotary1 was joy-z.

After this i went to the games folder in windows7 and did the input device test. Truely enough, moving the throttle quadrants moved the x&y axis's.. and the rotary1 did the all elusive Z axis.

I can't help but think its a tad bit crap. I have been in trouch with retailer and they are looking into it.

My question here is, do you think it's as simple as wires being crossed and incorrectly connected? Or is it a software issue? Has anyone heard of such a thing happening?

Thanx for your help and nice to meet you all.

Hi all I am new here. I played Elite back in the '80's and luv'd it.. ans have just finished building a cinema room, and a modified sim-rig infront of a 130" curved screen. For the rull Elite experience. And am very much so looking forward to it.

I got the X-55 the other day and put it all together. Only to find that the left & right throttle sticks are detected as joy-X and joy-Y on Elite. Instead of being Joy-Z, which is the throttle axis. Curiously enough, rotary1 is joyZ, when it should pick up as Joy-RY. Rotary2 is detected correctly as Joy-RX.

I downloaded DCS world to check and the same thing was the case. The action of the throttle activated both Joy-x & joy-y. The rotary1 was joy-z.

After this i went to the games folder in windows7 and did the input device test. Truely enough, moving the throttle quadrants moved the x&y axis's.. and the rotary1 did the all elusive Z axis.

I can't help but think its a tad bit crap. I have been in trouch with retailer and they are looking into it.

My question here is, do you think it's as simple as wires being crossed and incorrectly connected? Or is it a software issue? Has anyone heard of such a thing happening?

Thanx for your help and nice to meet you all.

I do not see any problems with what you have described. It is absolutely the same for me.

I cannot see why throttle should be Z-axis. Just because you think so?

Remember that stick and throttle are independent devices in X55.

Ok so i may have it wrong. How do you fly in game when you are spinning around at full tilt because your throttle and joystick are both trying to use the same input for two uses?

My mistake mate. In spacial geometry i take the axis required for forward and reverse movement to be the z axis. Y to go up & down, and x for left and right. I was just assuming that'd be how it'd work in elite.

But please tell me how you manage to use the controls, as all my ship does is spin wildly out of control.

Top Bottom