General / Off-Topic Satellite Archaeology

Well this is a first (at least for me) were I cant access BBC content because I am in the UK :rolleyes:

Nevermind, what was it about Horsk?

illu Minti

Deadly, But very fluffy...
Same here, never seen that from the BBC site before.

Never knew there was content we couldn't see because we are in UK and yet we pay for the licence, yet it can only be seen by people outside the UK who dont pay the licence fee......think your right psykokow!

Never knew there was content we couldn't see because we are in UK and yet we pay for the licence, yet it can only be seen by people outside the UK who dont pay the licence fee......think your right psykokow!

That's because BBC Worldwide is a commercial company owned by the BBC, funded by advertising and not by the license fee, which is why it's not allowed to operate in the UK.

Well this is a first (at least for me) were I cant access BBC content because I am in the UK :rolleyes:

Nevermind, what was it about Horsk?

Try this Geraldine. If you ever have issues like this folks, just bounce and hide your proxy to outside the UK, sites like www.proxfree.com do the trick. They basically turn your IP into an anonymous address. Sorry, I'm just a net nerd. :cool:

Edit: And noooo ... this doesn't mean I'm now going to be playing as a pirate!

Last edited:
Same here, never seen that from the BBC site before.

You would not believe the amount of inappropriate advertising I have sit through when browsing the BBC. Typically 30 seconds of advert from Pretendland Tourist Board, preceding a video report of atrocities just carried out in Pretendland.

I would gladly pay the license fee if they would let me.

You would not believe the amount of inappropriate advertising I have sit through when browsing the BBC. Typically 30 seconds of advert from Pretendland Tourist Board, preceding a video report of atrocities just carried out in Pretendland.

I shouldn't be doing this, buuuuut ... if you wish to opt out of all that Bingo [or others], just download this extension for your selected browser and it will kill any and all advertising on any web page you visit [and YouTube vids].

Adblock [Chrome]
Adblock [Firefox]
Adblock [Explorer]

Oh and shame on you if you are using Explorer! :eek:

Note: Keep in mind now, the adds though annoying are the way these companies make their money. If too many people end up using programs like these they simply will have to looks for other ways to fund their companies, is that a good or bad thing? Who knows? ;)

illu Minti

Deadly, But very fluffy...

@DD and BB :).........cheers for the info, more surprised then annoyed on finding this out, and yes i can understand frustration having to sit through adverts before the actual news you want.

I have the BBC site as my main homepage, am one of those that dont mind the license fee. I get most of my news/articles from there, and as said never come across any before that stops you looking(but understand through both of you now why that is) ...............

and cheers PacalB, i was thinking mainly YouTube that can be annoying with advertising, will try the Chrome one out ;)

Last edited:
Try this Geraldine. If you ever have issues like this folks, just bounce and hide your proxy to outside the UK, sites like www.proxfree.com do the trick. They basically turn your IP into an anonymous address. Sorry, I'm just a net nerd. :cool:

Edit: And noooo ... this doesn't mean I'm now going to be playing as a pirate!

Thank you PacalB, that worked perfectly! :cool:

I have an adblocker, but I rarely use it. I find comfort in the fact that when I watch an advert:
- whoever owns the advert I sit through pays money
- whoever owns the video I actually wanted to watch gets the money

I see it as rightful and just redistribution of wealth. :D

Oh and shame on you if you are using Explorer! :eek:

Not only that, but Bing is my homepage. Shock horror! Explorer is actually quite inoffensive now - unfussy to look at, and the load-times don't bother me. Bing is a bit rubbish, but it has nicer pictures than Google...

I used to use Firefox, but got fed up of re-installing every time I re-installed Windows. Also IE auto-updates with the OS, so that's a tiny bit more convenient.

I have an adblocker, but I rarely use it. I find comfort in the fact that when I watch an advert:

"Cough .. cough .. cough ..."
Nice halo you have there fine sir. It is positively glowing. Its so bright I can't see ... wait a minute, wait a minute ... :cool: there. That's better, I can see you now.

Last edited:
Not only that, but Bing is my homepage. Shock horror! Explorer is actually quite inoffensive now - unfussy to look at, and the load-times don't bother me. Bing is a bit rubbish, but it has nicer pictures than Google...

I used to use Firefox, but got fed up of re-installing every time I re-installed Windows. Also IE auto-updates with the OS, so that's a tiny bit more convenient.

Dear oh dear oh dear ... I really think you should really rethink your position there. Have a good long read of this ...

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever

And yes, really read it.

As for auto-updates, as Cody said, exactly.

"Cough .. cough .. cough ..."
Nice halo you have there fine sir. It is positively glowing. Its so bright I can't see ... wait a minute, wait a minute ... :cool: there. That's better, I can see you now.

Not at all, I just figure if companies are willing to waste money on advertising then I may as well help them shift it...

I'd much rather they paid me to watch them, though.

Nice philosophy, I shall try that (as well as ad blockers):p

Dear oh dear oh dear ... I really think you should really rethink your position there. Have a good long read of this ...

Most of that list is a bit meh. I'm not sure about how accurate the results are, but this article suggests that for Windows 8, IE10 is the most secure browser. In any case, I'm reasonably careful in my browsing habits. Adobe Flash is integrated. I don't use multiple computers, or need a portable browser. There's no confusion around 64bit/32bit.

Adherence to HTML5 standards would be the main reason I might switch.

Im the one who normally moans about not being able to see BBC stuff, i had no idea they blocked it from the old country.
I have big problems when web searching as they detect my IP address and automaticly think im Japanese

Was interesting to see that they can spot lost south American cities under the Jungle.
The night view of the Nile delta reminded me of the effect FD are aiming for in the game too.

H

Top Bottom