Screening shell - what, exactly, does it do?

Awesome - thanks.

What a good upgrade/effect against hull? Incendiary is good for shields, and corrosive is good for hull but any others that are good hull-strippers?

Their primary purpose is shooting down ordnance, in order to facilitate that they also have a pretty fast reload. They are very effective at shooting down torps, and I've been trying to get the hang of using them to shoot down packhounds, but I'm not there yet. The truth is, as Bob alluded to, by saying they're ok in pve (and by extension not that useful in pvp, unless used very strategically by a skilled and practiced pilot for their primary purpose of shooting down ordnance), that screening shell while situationally valuable don't really support a build that is frag focused, mainly because it is preferable to sync up reloads of frags so you always have their full burst available, therefore, if you have one screener, you should really have all with screening. Since frags also have a wide variety of useful specials, this is rarely going to be optimal. In almost all my frag builds, I will run one incendiary and one corrosive, and if there's another hardpoint left, drag as well. As a pure burst weapon, they are best supported by a fast jousting style of flying, boost, paf paf paf, drift out, turn, line up another pass, thus negating the benefit of fast reload. Even in pve against all but the largest of ships (in which case, yes, sit on them and just unload), the jousting style will give you fast victories with least damage to yourself, and it also forces you to practice one of the most important pvp skills, landing close range slow moving ordnance. Once you are competent with the frags, try something with a mixture of efficient and short range PAs.

P.S. Gimballed frags, always... ;)

Their primary purpose is shooting down ordnance, in order to facilitate that they also have a pretty fast reload. They are very effective at shooting down torps, and I've been trying to get the hang of using them to shoot down packhounds, but I'm not there yet. The truth is, as Bob alluded to, by saying they're ok in pve (and by extension not that useful in pvp, unless used very strategically by a skilled and practiced pilot for their primary purpose of shooting down ordnance), that screening shell while situationally valuable don't really support a build that is frag focused, mainly because it is preferable to sync up reloads of frags so you always have their full burst available, therefore, if you have one screener, you should really have all with screening. Since frags also have a wide variety of useful specials, this is rarely going to be optimal. In almost all my frag builds, I will run one incendiary and one corrosive, and if there's another hardpoint left, drag as well. As a pure burst weapon, they are best supported by a fast jousting style of flying, boost, paf paf paf, drift out, turn, line up another pass, thus negating the benefit of fast reload. Even in pve against all but the largest of ships (in which case, yes, sit on them and just unload), the jousting style will give you fast victories with least damage to yourself, and it also forces you to practice one of the most important pvp skills, landing close range slow moving ordnance. Once you are competent with the frags, try something with a mixture of efficient and short range PAs.

Comprehensive as always :)

Thanks you - very useful. I have some tweaking to do it seems...

Is there any benefit in leaving an OC weapon without a special effect?

Not that I can think of... Frag specials are pretty strong cos they are really easily applied, incendiary makes short work of shields in pve, corrosive is always invaluable, drag is good for annoyance factor, dazzle meh... Then there are the utility specials which are all situationally useful, such as flow control (not really useful on frags due to their low draw) and stripped down vs beefed up, etc.

No no no.

It makes reloads much faster, vastly improving DPS.
The post you quoted is accurate. Their primary purpose is shooting down ordnance. The reload speed is secondary to that. The average firing window of frags is 3 seconds or less making a reload upgrade effective only against stationary or very slow moving targets, not much of a dps increase in the average encounter.

As a pure burst weapon, they are best supported by a fast jousting style of flying, boost, paf paf paf, drift out, turn, line up another pass, thus negating the benefit of fast reload. Even in pve against all but the largest of ships (in which case, yes, sit on them and just unload), the jousting style will give you fast victories with least damage to yourself, and it also forces you to practice one of the most important pvp skills, landing close range slow moving ordnance. Once you are competent with the frags, try something with a mixture of efficient and short range PAs.

You’ve written what I’ve begun to discover, I’m just too dim, stubborn or tight with my engineering mats to have accepted my thoughts until reading it in black and white.

Time to swap out my Screening Shell and accept the nature of the weapons. I’ll also have to go OC rather than Hi Cap as I rarely get through all of my ammunition in the role I use them in.

I've been running OC with screening but they are a waste of time using on anything with half decent shields. You may as well be fireing blanks. So I've just switched to incendiary to see if that helps but have yet to test them. At the moment I see a frag build being best used as part of a wing because it's always handy to have a can opener

If you're jousting the standard reload time is more than ample surely ? But either way if I can't drop the shields on a decent ship with them they ain't no good for much. That's just my opinion though and I haven't tested the incendiary yet

Top Bottom