Sector Mapping - Dumbbell Project

I added a few more system maps to the album today and here's a pic from the last system I visited tonight viewed from the cockpit of my asp explorer in Dumbbell Sector CQ-Y C6 :)

3Eg2Rhs.jpg

If anyone finds any errors or ommissions from the sheets feel free to correct them. We've already found a few mistakes and missing systems. It's easy to make a few mistakes when you're manually listing several thousand systems from the galaxy map. That's another reason for support from the community, to spot the errors and correct them. It's likely that the results won't be perfect but they'll be close! :D

There has also been a bit of confusion regarding ammonia worlds. We're tracking the number of ammonia worlds as seen in Agony's Visual Guide to ELWs, WWs, and AWs. These are the highly valuable ones. The thargoid equivalent to an earth-like world. Maybe the locations will be useful in the future or maybe not. Either way you'll receive alot of credits for scanning them unlike the gas giants with ammonia based life.

The progress to date has been very impressive by everyone involved!

Just a short heads-up: I asked drkaii to include this thread in the Community Cartographics sticky on the exploration subforum, and he added it to the list.

Cool, thanks :)

Hi CMDR Clash reporting
Actually on a trip to a nebula but when i come back i'll be part of this for sure. Good idea for explorers those exploration group goals GJ !

Amount of objects of interest has been on a steady increase with a total of 525 by now. Earth likes have increased to 12 and there's no end to other places humanity can create homes out of, with 63 terraformable water worlds, 327 terraformal high metal content planets and 7 terraformable rocky planets found so far.

However, it is not without envious eyes probably watching, since a total of 22 ammonia worlds have also been discovered.

And the sector still has so much more room for people to claim a piece of glory and marvel, so jump along.

This is very cool, I am sort of doing the same thing 18 kylies out from Sol, but its near impossible to do by myself. I wish I saw this post before I left a month ago... if I come back to the bubble, I'd like to come join you guys!

This is very cool, I am sort of doing the same thing 18 kylies out from Sol, but its near impossible to do by myself. I wish I saw this post before I left a month ago... if I come back to the bubble, I'd like to come join you guys!

Cool, the Dumbbell Sector isn't going anywhere and there are thousands of systems to scan :)

I've been back in the bubble for a little while, the space madness is gone (or is it???) but I'm getting the itch again. Just parked my Python at Jameson station, dusted off the Hans ASPerger and am heading to the Dumbbell sector. Quick question - I know theres a ton of systems listed in the spreadsheet to work on so I'm not so worried about having nothing to do, but are those the only systems in the sector that the project is interested in? Or can I add more as I find them?

I've been back in the bubble for a little while, the space madness is gone (or is it???) but I'm getting the itch again. Just parked my Python at Jameson station, dusted off the Hans ASPerger and am heading to the Dumbbell sector. Quick question - I know theres a ton of systems listed in the spreadsheet to work on so I'm not so worried about having nothing to do, but are those the only systems in the sector that the project is interested in? Or can I add more as I find them?

The "Dumbbell Sector Systems List" sheet hopefully has all of the systems in the sector listed but it's quite likely that we've missed some or alot. We've already added several missing systems (multiple times). Manually adding all of them was quite a challenge. :) If you find systems like HD 190150 or non-dumbbell systems in the region you can add them too, those are easy to miss.

The "Dumbbell Sector Planets of Interest" sheet simply lists all of the systems with high value planets, possibly for future terraforming and colonisation.

The "Dumbbell Sector Systems List" sheet hopefully has all of the systems in the sector listed but it's quite likely that we've missed some or alot. We've already added several missing systems (multiple times). Manually adding all of them was quite a challenge. :) If you find systems like HD 190150 or non-dumbbell systems in the region you can add them too, those are easy to miss.

The "Dumbbell Sector Planets of Interest" sheet simply lists all of the systems with high value planets, possibly for future terraforming and colonisation.

Ok cool. I was kind of surprised some systems seem to be "missing" from the galactic map, like you'll have DUMBBELL SECTOR KR-W C1-0, KR-W C1-1, KR-W C1-2, KR-W C1-3, but no KR-W C1-4 or C1-5 or C1-8, but the rest of the numbers up to C1-23. I thought you guys just weren't putting them onto the sheet until you saw them in your nav window or something. In the COESTS sector about 17,000 LY from earth I didn't find any missing numbers in their numbering system, except for the "H" systems, like COESTS AA-A H would start at 38 or so and go to 63. But I noticed that nearer and inside the bubble you'll get something like Col 285 Sector PD-S d4-88 but there isn't any d4-0 or d4-1 etc. I don't know if named systems like the HIP or HD etc are replacing those, or if the stellar forge isn't in full effect this close to colonized space.

I am finding some systems that were fully explored by someone who isn't listed on the Dumbbell Sector project and isn't reflected in the spreadsheet, so I've been marking those green because all the bodies have someone's name on them already. Those are kind of nice to find, less icy and rocky worlds for me to scan :)

I don't know if this was intentional, but the Dumbbell sector is very ideal for this sort of project because it is much smaller than, say, the COESTS sector, the BYAA AEH sector, the PLIELE sector and most of the other randomly generated space areas out there. Those are for the most part 1280 ly high, 1280 ly wide, and 1280 ly long. So far it seems the Dumbbell sector is perhaps a circle with a radius of 100 ly (like you said in the first post, I thought you just meant you only wanted the systems that were within 100 ly of the nebula thinking all sectors were the same size and thats why I had some questions about missing systems.)

With a circle of a 100 ly radius, thats a volume of about 31,000 cubic light years. the 1280x1280x1280 cubes have a volume of roughly 2,100,000,000 light years. The dumbbell sector is about 1/67741 the size of a "regular" sector. That makes the goal of actually scanning everything in it much more obtainable. It would explain the missing system numbers like I mentioned earlier and why there aren't any "H", "G", or "F" systems and almost no "E" systems. If you aren't familiar with what those are, imagine each sector cube divided into smaller cubes. The "H" systems all start with AA-A H and cover the entire 1280x1280x1280 area. The "H" is divided into 8 cubes of equal size, each of those is 640x640x640 and those are the "G" sections. Each of the G's is split into 8 cubes which are 320x320x320 and those are the 64 "F" sections. Each of those "F"s is split into 8 cubes which make up the 512 "E" cubes which are 160x160x160 LY. I mapped out all of these while spending a couple months in the COESTS sector. Anyway, so far I've only seen "E" systems starting with BA-A in the Dumbbell sector, and it seems there are only 4 of those. (there are usually 4,096 "D" cubes, I didn't finish mapping those out, and 32,768 "C"s and so on)

I have kept track of all the dumbbell systems I've been to, I'll go back and take screenshots of all of them at some point. I did find one system that had a water world listed, I went there and the water world was a CFT and there was also an HMC that was a CFT so I changed those in the "Planets of Interest" tab on the spreadsheet... if that wasn't kosher I can note future changes without modifing the data. I've only found 2 HMC CFTs and 1 water CFT since then and I added those systems under the New Inputs. I'll add the systems with the screenshots for the album in the same place later.

I'm having fun, scanning everything in theory will help find all the CFT rocky worlds, I just wish there weren't as many icy planets or theyd make it so they scanned quicker and from further away. I wanted to do this in the COESTS sector but it had millions and millions of stars in it, and it was just me. This is a pretty cool idea.

If you find errors feel free to correct them! :) Errors were always likely to happen. Doing this as a community event reduces the risk of input errors with multiple people checking the systems.

Very nice analysis of the size of the various sectors. There are also some very small sectors with only a few hundred systems to scan. The size and distance of Dumbbell makes it an achieveable goal (with enough support) and it's always nice to discover as a group sometimes. With the discoveries so far it's clear that it's a good location for long distance colonisation.

I've been quite busy in the bubble for a while now but when I get the urge to go exploring again the Dumbbell Sector will be calling me back ;)

Minor suggestion to the OP; change

The Dumbbell project is an initiative started within the AEDC during April 3301

to include your organization's actual name. That way, people that are unfamiliar with it know who you are talking about. Ex: First Great Expedition (FGE)

Is this still alive? I'm a new explorer and I want to jump in.
If this is still working, coun't with my Deep Purple!

Top Bottom