Ship interiors as per-ship DLC: who would want this?

Sounds like a great plan!
FDev can hire a bunch of artists and modelers to fill the ARX store with pretty things for the 'immershun' crowd to waste their money on, while the actual game designers and developers can concentrate on working on spaceship stuff like atmospheres and gas giants.

I suspect that a large part is immersion. I know, it has become a bit of a contentious term, but I think its not wrong here. Just like there are people asking for on-foot mining options. Why would you want to mine on-foot when you can mine tons upon tons per minute in a huge ship? Why do so many people want the option to sit down in a chair at the EDO bars? Buy a drink? The experience. To many, ED is like Firefly. The spaceship is important, but its also about being a plucky individual doing basis individual things. To make it more plausible intuitively that you are a spaceman, doing spaceman things. Like turn an allen wrench, but in space. :)

Its part of this topic in a sense, to take it to the bare minimum: what if there is no functional gameplay at all, and the whole purpose is to be able to walk around, sit down in some mess hall, lie down in a bed, that sort of fairly 'pointless' but still immersive stuff. Lets skip the 'would manual repairs beat AFMU' debate, and go straight to "would you be interested in 'immersion' if it didnt beat anything at all?'?

And any honest answer is the correct answer here. :D
This is a good way of putting it. Just being able to walk around the ship in multiplayer is enough for me to be honest, makes playing with friends much nicer than sitting there literally doing nothing as someone pilots.

Without functional gameplay, the only thing that would be selling is the the armstrong moment from odysee marketing. Individually and at cost. That would be placing a too big of a target on themselves, though would be really funny if this happened.

They could at least provide an additional set of buttons to access the ui. So you could walk over to something and access the inventory, fss etc.

I would have liked this but its coming already with carrier interiors so fantasy we will never get is pointless. We're getting it anyway in different form and no cost.

It could make LEP owners feel better about their purchase though sure. Or not if they're just dlc.. actually nope for leps nevermind.

They did not plan on FC interiors
While a reasonable default assumption, this claim is somewhat undermined by the fact that they gave each carrier layout a superstructure that makes a perfect location for an interior space featuring an observation deck. Seems rather convenient.

Speaking of carrier interiors, if ships were to get a purely cosmetic interior space, I would look at the team-only space they provided there as a model. That private ready room would translate well on many of the larger ships, and FDev do seem broadly interested in cultivating spaces for social interactions.

Sounds like a great plan!
FDev can hire a bunch of artists and modelers to fill the ARX store with pretty things for the 'immershun' crowd to waste their money on, while the actual game designers and developers can concentrate on working on spaceship stuff like atmospheres and gas giants.
What makes you think they are going to add gas giants or other atmospheric planets than what we already have?

This is a good suggestion by the OP and I certainly like the idea, however while I understand this is an attempt at a compromise between development costs and what is possible, I would draw attention to what I think is the main issue, as follows:

It is not so much the walking around your ship that is the real issue for me, it is the transition into and out of a vehicle that is the key issue. Therefore ship interiors naturally flow out of this because the game experience will move from you as either a ship avatar or a vehicle avatar or a human avatar into a human avatar that naturally and seamlessly transitions between modes of transport. It is these disconnected and isolated modes of experience that is the real issue.

If the OP's suggestion is a step towards this then I support the idea, however I fully expect what I am asking for requires more than a lot of work but like stepping foot on the moon, ambition is required as well as money. So I understand what the OP is trying suggest and support it but I also can't help but express my disappointment that we've ended up in this situation where we have to try and shoehorn the true experience of a space explorer into these separate modes of play.

Didn't we once used to have a startup sequence for our ships, where you could sit in the chair and press buttons and things and test inputs to make sure everything was working, as I recall it was toggle-able in the control panel, "run ship startup sequence" whatever happened to that, did no-one use it and it got removed? I used it once just to see what it does, then turned it off, never saw it again nor wanted to.

The danger of introducing skippable mechanics that take time is that in the end everyone just skips, except for the new player trying it out once. I mean who is going get up from his chair, walk down the corridor, enter the FSD room, pull out his spanner and wiggle it around while the health bar climbs more than once when a single button press while sitting in the chair does the same thing?

Fact is people usually use neutron star jumping because it's faster to get places, putting in a mechanic that requires you to walk down the corridor to manually repair your FSD wouldn't make any sense.

Sure if it didn't take anything away from more important stuff, say FDEV paid an outside studio to develop this stuff and kept working on the game itself, and it was totally and 100% skippable and players had to pay ARX to to do it so it didn't draw funds away from the main game, go for it, don't mind me, I won't ever use it.

Didn't we once used to have a startup sequence for our ships, where you could sit in the chair and press buttons and things and test inputs to make sure everything was working, as I recall it was toggle-able in the control panel, "run ship startup sequence" whatever happened to that, did no-one use it and it got removed? I used it once just to see what it does, then turned it off, never saw it again nor wanted to.

The danger of introducing skippable mechanics that take time is that in the end everyone just skips, except for the new player trying it out once. I mean who is going get up from his chair, walk down the corridor, enter the FSD room, pull out his spanner and wiggle it around while the health bar climbs more than once when a single button press while sitting in the chair does the same thing?

Fact is people usually use neutron star jumping because it's faster to get places, putting in a mechanic that requires you to walk down the corridor to manually repair your FSD wouldn't make any sense.

Sure if it didn't take anything away from more important stuff, say FDEV paid an outside studio to develop this stuff and kept working on the game itself, and it was totally and 100% skippable and players had to pay ARX to to do it so it didn't draw funds away from the main game, go for it, don't mind me, I won't ever use it.
Its still there. Pre-Flight Checks under pilot preferences.

Too many compromises. Insofar as i'm all for having a purely cosmetic interior, the minimum requirement for me would be:

-no more fade to black (probably the most difficult part)
-the optional modules should be walkable (how to use the SRV without?) (probably the second biggest part)
-armoury and locker room to allow you change your on-foot load-out (and generaly speaking, more alternative to avoid menu, without being absurde)
-no take-off until all commanders are at their posts (i mean no forced teleportation)
-Only the cockpit, crew quarters and hatch/airlock could be decorated (maybe skins for optional modules, i'm thinking mostly passenger modules)

And because of the 2 first point, per ship DLC is pointless.

My answer, I think, is no, especially if there's no gameplay attached. Mainly because I have a fleet carrier - which is going to be able to do all that soon anyway, with the added benefits of being a persistent thing that anyone can dock at and walk around, actually providing services to people, and being a vessel that is both public and busy whilst still remaining privately owned and personal.
This probably would have appealed to me more before I owned a fleet carrier, though, and I suppose I'd probably still buy it for my Diamondback Explorer just out of curiosity (and because I have somewhat of an emotional attachment to that ship).
I'd rather the resources be spent on more FC interior customisation options, or even better: content that has gameplay attached. Perhaps it'd be better if the interiors would eventually have gameplay added, but as has been mentioned before in this thread, I'm not sure what gameplay interiors could bring that isn't just a longer way of doing things that are already in the game.

Wouldn't ever consider something like this.

Of course, I'd never have considered static on foot environments with nothing but immovable and fixed function objects either. Already paid for that one years before I was aware of how restrictive it would be, however.

Top Bottom