Ship Name Censoring Games

Scunthorpe is usually the first word I think of related to online profanity filters, then therapist. I think Scunthorpe even used to be censored on the forum, so I was surprised to see it here.

I'm currently out in The Void, and recently visited the DSSA Hope Dempsey. That was censored, and I still can't figure out what the trigger is.
Scunthorpe being banned goes back to the early internet and AOL banning the place, it used to make it to the newspapers on a slow day.

Maybe the filter can read backwards and is reacting to the last three letters of DSSA?

Scunthorpe being banned goes back to the early internet and AOL banning the place, it used to make it to the newspapers on a slow day.

Maybe the filter can read backwards and is reacting to the last three letters of DSSA?
If only it was that simple. DSSA itself is not censored. I think it comes up as "DSSA H***********y". I only knew the actual name because of EDSM. Another DSSA carrier I visited in Aquila's Halo was unaffected.

Why are those words censored in the first place anyway? Where I'm living, kids in school are using those words every day... it's totally normal. What's the use in censoring them? It's not like the younger players don't already know and use them way more often than the older ones, anyway.

Why are those words censored in the first place anyway? Where I'm living, kids in school are using those words every day... it's totally normal. What's the use in censoring them? It's not like the younger players don't already know and use them way more often than the older ones, anyway.
It is to stop some of the people out there being able to point and say that is a bad game/forum/whatever just look at the naughty language they use, they should be shut down to protect the innocent children.

Tbh I think this is an Anglo thing... All forums / platforms I've experienced with such aggressive censoring were UK based.

It sure is sensitive filter. Didn't someone say that he got his ship name whitelisted by sending a support ticket, or do I remember wrong?

Though I have to say that the persistence of fleet carriers in the nav menu sorta reinforce the necessity of having some sort of rein on player ingenuity when it comes to naming their ships.

Isn't there a station named D*** Ring? (male anatomy ring)

The censor is just a bit too sensitive don't you think?
Yeah it is, but it has to be set to the lowest common denominator, which is the poor sensitive type who scream "Won't someone thnk of the children".

Meanwhile my grandchildren can curl my hair with some of the words they come out with and many of them are in primary and pre-school. :)

Yeah it is, but it has to be set to the lowest common denominator, which is the poor sensitive type who scream "Won't someone thnk of the children".

Meanwhile my grandchildren can curl my hair with some of the words they come out with and many of them are in primary and pre-school. :)
Reminds me of a funny meme I saw recently regarding banning Pepe Le Pew: something about a parent being happy their son is no longer exposed to that, so now his son can go back to playing GTA where he just burned a hooker to death so he doesn't have to pay her.

I'm all for banning the obvious cuss words but banning attitude because three letters in that word can be offensive? That's on a whole other level of ridiculous.

Reminds me of a funny meme I saw recently regarding banning Pepe Le Pew: something about a parent being happy their son is no longer exposed to that, so now his son can go back to playing GTA where he just burned a hooker to death so he doesn't have to pay her.

I'm all for banning the obvious cuss words but banning attitude because three letters in that word can be offensive? That's on a whole other level of ridiculous.
Murder, bombing and killing hookers is fine, just don't expose my kid to the word (well you know, since its censored). And watch out if there is even a tiny bit showing :)

I first saw it in our squadron bookmarks. All of our systems were there and Negrito was " ************ " lol.

Negrito.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom