News Ship naming and Name Plates – how it will work

Apart from the small section who seem to think £2 is going to break the bank, but I think that is a very small section. For those people, if you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Exactly! Some people are kicking up a right stink about a couple of quid that offers a nice-to-have feature. If someone can't afford that, my question is how do they get to work every day? If they don't go to work, then that might explain it lol. How did they even afford a PC? So many beggars out there with their greedy hands out.

Last question - obviously Frontier are not a Charity but are a business offering a great value product and need to pay their staff - how do you expect they feed their families? Start living in the real world and start to contribute than take, take, take. If you can't afford something, then do what the rest of us do and save cash. I couldn't afford a Vive and had to save up. If you can't afford £2, get a part time job or something, come on.

For all the normal people that don't try to rob or exploit anything and everything, fly safe.

Cheers

Your response encapsulates the essence of what i hate about the E: D community of late. Self obsessed & so entitled its hard to take seriously.

Great work if you were being sarcastic.
That's not very nice to bust out the ad hominem insults on someone without even first checking up on the facts.

Ship Naming
● If it's not our ship and they have no name plates, then we don't know the ship's name.

Ironically enough your response encapsulates everything I dislike about the ED community :(

Welcome fo Elite Forums, where even if we get what we want we can argue about it for twenty six pages ;)
That's true. But with comments like the above can you really blame people for not being able to resist the overwhelming urge to say, "Good god man! Educate yourself to the facts before flinging insults on someone who knows them."

We really are living in a post-facts world now and if no one speaks up to defend the facts then I shudder to think what the next generation of humanity is going to look like.

Last edited:
That's not very nice to bust out the ad hominem insults on someone without even first checking up on the facts.
Ironically enough your response encapsulates everything I dislike about the ED community :(
That's true. But with comments like the above can you really blame people for not being able to resist the overwhelming urge to say, "Good god man! Educate yourself to the facts before flinging insults on someone who knows them."
We really are living in a post-facts world now and if no one speaks up to defend the facts then I shudder to think what the next generation of humanity is going to look like.

I'm doing my best to obey the moderator's wishes to avoid this argument continuing to "go in circles", I ask that you do the same...and to stop declaring your personal point of view as stone-cold fact. I'm not alone in viewing the (much copy-pasted) evidence as ambiguous and doubtable.

I'm doing my best to obey the moderator's wishes to avoid this argument continuing to "go in circles", I ask that you do the same...and to stop declaring your personal point of view as stone-cold fact. I'm not alone in viewing the (much copy-pasted) evidence as ambiguous and doubtable.
I wouldn't have responded were it not for the insulting and dehumanising way that poster regarded the person who was stating the facts. I am now only going to respond one final time here and that is to stop you from declaring that the truth is wrong simply because certain people don't want to hear it or don't like how the truth sounds.

How you can continue to call the developers own words as "ambiguous" and "doubtable" is truly beyond me to be honest. You are face to face with the indisputable historically recorded proof of the devs own words and yet you wish to pretend like their words don't actually mean what they say. It's like arguing with a climate change denier while a snow storm rages in the middle of the Saharra - it simply doesn't make a lot of sense. I find it highly ironic that you of all people are attempting to lecture about declaring personal points of view as facts when that is exactly what you have been doing all along, whereas everyone else has been using concrete evidence to disprove you. You have offered no evidence to support your point of view. Just pure conjecture and your own opinion throughout. If you would like to be taken seriously at this point then please present equally concrete evidence to back up your point of view and then we can talk. Until then you're just some dude with an opinion vs the cold hard facts as far as I'm concerned.

This news update is over and done with. We're getting ship names. And thanks to the people who spoke out, as well as thanks to FD for listening, we have averted something that would have caused resentment within the community and a PR disaster for FD. A section of the community and FD worked as one to make an upcoming feature in ED better than when it was first anounced. That's always great to see in my book.

Fly safe. o7

Cant wait for the ship names and plates :)

Just hope no one in game steals my unique naming of my ships :p

Now hurry up and release the beta for next years release hihi :)

I wouldn't have responded were it not for the insulting and dehumanising way that poster regarded the person who was stating the facts. I am now only going to respond one final time here and that is to stop you from declaring that the truth is wrong simply because certain people don't want to hear it or don't like how the truth sounds.
There are basically three arguments going on in these threads, with some cross-pollination between them:

• FD did a switcheroo vs FD clarified a misunderstanding
    While I have made it perfectly clear which side of that particular fence I sit on, there is wiggle room to see this either way. As a firm believer in the "looks like a duck" philosophy I personally can't take the other interpretation seriously, but objectively it's valid.

• People said some things but maybe meant something else
    I get that, mistakes happen, we're only human. Again, I struggle to make a generous interpretation in this particular case, when the words themselves are so straightforward (one of the arguments was literally "he said yes, maybe he meant to say no"). But as another poster said further up the thread, this isn't a court of law. If there's room for interpretation, any interpretation, it has to be allowed.

• Person X literally didn't say thing Y
    This is where my sanity chip threatens to explode. Someone can wiggle and interpret and weasel-word all they like, but when they claim that the literal words literally did not come out of the literal person's mouth when the whole world can watch a literal video of the literal guy voicing the literal phonemes with his literal vocal cords... :eek: I don't think the human mind was designed to cope with the level of boggling that causes. :D

Your response encapsulates the essence of what i hate about the E: D community of late. Self obsessed & so entitled its hard to take seriously.

Great work if you were being sarcastic.

Self obsessed because folk complained they don't want paywalls on game features?

Ok if you say so, I have no idea why you think that's self obsessed though not seeing the link. It's about having the game not moving into free to play territory.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! Some people are kicking up a right stink about a couple of quid that offers a nice-to-have feature. If someone can't afford that, my question is how do they get to work every day? If they don't go to work, then that might explain it lol. How did they even afford a PC? So many beggars out there with their greedy hands out.

Last question - obviously Frontier are not a Charity but are a business offering a great value product and need to pay their staff - how do you expect they feed their families? Start living in the real world and start to contribute than take, take, take. If you can't afford something, then do what the rest of us do and save cash. I couldn't afford a Vive and had to save up. If you can't afford £2, get a part time job or something, come on.

For all the normal people that don't try to rob or exploit anything and everything, fly safe.

Cheers

Would just like to point out (yet again) that it's not about how much the item costs, nobody knew the cost.

It's about paywalling game features in a paid for game.

On your "last question" nobody is saying Frontier should not sell cosmetics, they can sell ALL the nameplates they want. There are variations in opinion but primarily people are saying that another person's ship name should ALWAYS appear in your HUD regardless, this should not be dependent them having paid a fee. And your claim that Frontier won't be able to pay their staff unless they paywall ship name visibility in the HUD is just plain wrong.

I think this is perfectly reasonable and I find you trying to paint people on this forum as "wanting to rob or exploit", as being rude, unfounded and quite off really. I keep saying this and feel like a for doing so, but I own 320+ skins, you figure out if I'm trying to rob/exploit, or if I want to support the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely missing the point yet again.

I've said before I think £2 feels quite cheap for a pack, compared to skin pricing.

Lol, no I wasn't missing the point. I'm not at home and don't have a PC to go through all of your points and show how I've already answered. I don't want us to go round in circles, that's all. Here's an example of what I mean:

It's about paywalling game features in a paid for game.

obviously Frontier are not a Charity but are a business offering a great value product and need to pay their staff

I never said they can't pay their staff but I was trying to put it into context. People pay for services, those services pay the staff who build those services, it's as simple as that. As I explained, it's a 'nice to have' feature so it's not paywalling anyone... apart from people who want things for free, also, as I explained.

Hope this helps. Fly safe

Lol, no I wasn't missing the point. I'm not at home and don't have a PC to go through all of your points and show how I've already answered. I don't want us to go round in circles, that's all. Here's an example of what I mean:

I never said they can't pay their staff but I was trying to put it into context. People pay for services, those services pay the staff who build those services, it's as simple as that. As I explained, it's a 'nice to have' feature so it's not paywalling anyone... apart from people who want things for free, also, as I explained.

Hope this helps. Fly safe

Paying for cosmetics absolutely fine.

Paying to have a functionality of having a ship name displayed as text in the HUD is where problems arose. Base game has been payed for, for some an expansion and then having to pay extra for a functional addition.

Last edited:
I never said they can't pay their staff but I was trying to put it into context. People pay for services, those services pay the staff who build those services, it's as simple as that. As I explained, it's a 'nice to have' feature so it's not paywalling anyone... apart from people who want things for free

The game is full of functionality that is "nice to have", any QoL feature is a nice to have, private groups are a nice to have too, nobody needs those. Looking up stats in your right panel is a nice to have, bookmarks are a nice to have, the ability to call ships to stations is a nice to have.

apart from people who want things for free

People are happy to pay for cosmetics, how many times does it have to be said.

Last edited:
Yes, this should have been 20 pages of "Thanks for the update Ed, and thanks for listening, FD."

Z...

Your expectations about The Internet are too high sir. This is the downside of slowly increasing popularity. You always get some hoodlums sticking around.

Yes, this should have been 20 pages of "Thanks for the update Ed, and thanks for listening, FD."

Z...

It would have been.

But when folk are throwing out accusations of it being about robbing or exploiting Frontier like above then people are going to say something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom