News Ship naming and Name Plates – how it will work

Thank you very much for that Ed!

Marketing team? You really don't pay attention.

I am amazed at how quickly this community have been jumping on things recently. Throughout the entire process it has always been said that others could see your ship name (unless it was deemed obscene), then last night during answering over 120 questions Sandro said something that conflicted with previous information.

So what happens? Do people wait for things to be discussed the next working day? No, they fly off the handle as though the sky was falling in and the world was about to explode. All the people in this thread saying that this "change" was the right decision have completely missed the point it wasn't a change. They weren't caving to the community, it was a slip on a livestream by a developer who had taken his own time to engage with us.

You all seriously need to take a long hard look at yourselves, because the attitude over the last few months is getting ridiculous!

Factually not true. This is not just a change from what Sandro said, but also a change on what the patch notes explicitly said. They literally and unambiguously said that you NEED a plate to have others see your name, weeks ago. They confirmed it yesterday, exactly as they said earlier. A slip my foot.

Anyway, the way it will now be is good, and I'll be grabbing me some plates.

I could argue that more money from cosmetics= more focus on cosmetics and less focus on gameplay. But yeah whatever.

You could argue that, but I think there's little if any evidence to support the argument. I would argue that you are getting a "free basic nameplate". Where are other players and yourself more likely to see a ship name? In a scan or the HUD, where the ship's transponder is broadcasting it, or on a close fly-by at 200-300+ m/s?

The nameplate is purely cosmetic and almost entirely for the ship owner's enjoyment. This currently plan for its monetization is just about perfect.

Thank you for the classification, but why does it always take so long to get a straight answer out of FD..I have said before I wasn't going to get any but now for two quid for 9 across the board, I might.

I think this will make a lot of people happy. Thanks for the clarification.

May I make a very small request? Like, so small it's just a single character? Like, one more character to the nameplate limit? Please? 22 isn't a weird number at all, because it's the name of my Anaconda. I can't fit the name in with the current 21 character limit. If you did that would be really great! Thanks!

Thank you very much for that Ed!

Marketing team? You really don't pay attention.

I am amazed at how quickly this community have been jumping on things recently. Throughout the entire process it has always been said that others could see your ship name (unless it was deemed obscene), then last night during answering over 120 questions Sandro said something that conflicted with previous information.

So what happens? Do people wait for things to be discussed the next working day? No, they fly off the handle as though the sky was falling in and the world was about to explode. All the people in this thread saying that this "change" was the right decision have completely missed the point it wasn't a change. They weren't caving to the community, it was a slip on a livestream by a developer who had taken his own time to engage with us.

You all seriously need to take a long hard look at yourselves, because the attitude over the last few months is getting ridiculous!

Unfortunately the situation of ship names not being visible on the HUD in Betas 1-4 hasn't helped perceptions. I personally legitimately thought that FD had changed their minds from the first concept of being able to see ship names on HUD to having to buy the name plate to see it, and I'm glad and thankful that (from my perspective) this has "changed", or more accurately "clarified" definitively.

Many thanks are in order to FD for taking the time to make sure we don't get the wrong end of the stick.

Thank you for the classification, but why does it always take so long to get a straight answer out of FD..I have said before I wasn't going to get any but now for two quid for 9 across the board, I might.

They gave us a straight answer weeks ago: you need to buy plates or noone will see it. They gave a straight answer yesterday: you need to buy plates or noone will see it. They give a new and improved straight answer now, and I think this will get them a lot of goodwill and money. :)

It's nice to know when the community threatens you with their wallets that you hastily respond, Frontier (not directed at Ed).

This "clarification" is the right decision... as it turns out, my wallet will now feel more liberal in your store in the near future.

Let this be a lesson to your marketing team - don't treat us like cows.

THIS !!

I paid enough attention to know that the last beta version of 2.3 that I used didn't allow you to see other users' names. 'Namegate' provoked more than the usual suspects into protest, maybe that's why FD listened.

Yeah I'm usually pretty defensive of FD because everyone is always on their case all the time, but sometimes even I have to admit that there's something wrong. This was one of those times, whether it was a miscommunication (I originally thought it was an error but the general consensus of understanding had a lot of evidence to back it up) or ended up being a u-turn I'm not sorry I didn't take EffDev's side this time, it was a bit silly. I'm glad whatever it was it was cleared up and we're back on track.

I have to assume this is change to what was planned - or Sandro was completely misinformed and Ed just wasn't paying attention!

Either way - I'm happy with want Ed is stating now and I hope this is what makes it to live.

Top Bottom