News Ship naming and Name Plates – how it will work

goodgrumpy.jpeg

Hi everyone,

There’s been a number of questions from Commanders regarding ship naming and how ship name plates will work so we wanted to give you a little more information about how these features will work when they’re released.

In-game ship naming

When you have named your ship in-game, your ship name will appear in multicrew grouping and in your HUD. In addition to this, in beta 5, when other people scan you, or target you in space they will be able to see your ship name in their UI. This feature will be available for all players of Elite Dangerous (both base game and Horizons players) including Xbox One, upcoming PS4 release and PC Commanders.

Cosmetic Ship Name Plates

The ship name plates will offer an added layer of cosmetic personalisation for Commanders wanting to wear their name with pride, much like paint jobs and other cosmetics currently available in the store.

Name plates will be made available in themed packs. These packs will contain three designs, each of which will be available in three colours: black, white, and grey. This makes a total of 9 nameplates per pack. After purchase, each pack will be available for use across all of your ships (Ship launched fighters and SRVs don’t have name plates) and each pack of 9 variant plates will be coming into store at just £2/€2.5/$3. This means that purchasing one pack of name plates will allow you to use that style across all of your current and future ships, at the same time and rename each individual ship as many times as you like. We believe this flexibility offers Commanders great value and is a great way to help support the continued development of Elite Dangerous.

Thanks!

Excellent news Ed!

For those users that don't wish to see ship names will there also be the option to turn them off?

:D

Yeah sorry, I've given them enough money already.

Yes and no.
Yes because you have a game and your right is to play it, and no, because this is an online game, and everyone know a maintenance and development are costs and game is without monthly fee, and thankfully to God and David, there is no pay2win.
If we want play, then we just need to buy something, even if we do not really need it. That's how it work.

More money = better game.

Our vote is our wallet. Thankfully to ED sales model all money we put in game is optional. Its is very fair in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up Ed, some in the communities were going a bit crazy that they'd have to skip a coffee or two to have shipnames, or go without!

I can get back to my real job again now!

Jim

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

There’s been a number of questions from Commanders regarding ship naming and how ship name plates will work so we wanted to give you a little more information about how these features will work when they’re released.

In-game ship naming

When you have named your ship in-game, your ship name will appear in multicrew grouping and in your HUD. In addition to this, in beta 5, when other people scan you, or target you in space they will be able to see your ship name in their UI. This feature will be available for all players of Elite Dangerous (both base game and Horizons players) including Xbox One, upcoming PS4 release and PC Commanders.

The ship name plates will offer an added layer of cosmetic personalisation for Commanders wanting to wear their name with pride, much like paint jobs and other cosmetics currently available in the store.

Name plates will be made available in themed packs. These packs will contain three designs, each of which will be available in three colours: black, white, and grey. This makes a total of 9 nameplates per pack. After purchase, each pack will be available for use across all of your ships (Ship launched fighters and SRVs don’t have name plates) and each pack of 9 variant plates will be coming into store at just £2/€2.5/$3. This means that purchasing one pack of name plates will allow you to use that style across all of your current and future ships, at the same time and rename each individual ship as many times as you like. We believe this flexibility offers Commanders great value and is a great way to help support the continued development of Elite Dangerous.

Thanks!

It's nice to know when the community threatens you with their wallets that you hastily respond, Frontier (not directed at Ed).

This "clarification" is the right decision... as it turns out, my wallet will now feel more liberal in your store in the near future.

Let this be a lesson to your marketing team - don't treat us like cows.

Yes and no.
Yes because you have a game and your right is to play it, and no, because this is an online game, and everyone know a maintenance and development are costs and game is without monthly fee, and thankfully to God and David, there is no pay2win.
If we want play, then we just need to buy something, even if we do not really need it. That's how it work.

More money = better game.

Our vote is our wallet. Thankfully to ED sales model all money we put in game is optional. Its is very fair in my opinion.

I could argue that more money from cosmetics= more focus on cosmetics and less focus on gameplay. But yeah whatever.

Hi everyone,

In-game ship naming

Thanks!

Great news- not that I was expecting anything less. A bunch of people must/should feel pretty silly now. :D
I have no fear for them, they'll find plenty of fingers to hide behind.

Hi everyone,

In-game ship naming

Thanks!

That's a really quick - and welcome - 180 there, especially since it was only just in last night's live stream that you stated that to see the ship's name on scan, we'd need to buy the name plate first.

Thanks for the change of heart and for the clarification. 3 designs for £2 to be used across all ships is reasonable. And it makes complete sense to divorce the scan data from the livery.

Last edited:
Boy do I have a great idea for you for those name plates!

See, every time you kill NPC it could drop very rare item: ship name letter! Just like they drop now rare materials.

Next we introduce into the game new engineer. This engineer would create name plate by combining the letters you've gathered in random order (number of letters used is also random), creating the random name plate!

If you are dissatisfied with the end result - gather more letters and try again!

All in true spirit of engineering in Elite!

Edit 1:

Addition by Nazgutek

New Engineer can only do eight letter plates when you meet him, and require ranking up to do nine, ten, eleven and finally twelve letter names.

Also, the position on the ship should also random. And the colour of the letters.

Edit 2:

Addition by fennster

Some letters should only be found on planet surfaces!

Last edited:
Great news- not that I was expecting anything less. A bunch of people must/should feel pretty silly now. :D
I have no fear for them, they'll find plenty of fingers to hide behind.

A bunch of people made a load of noise and Frontier provided an answer that everyone is happy with. While there's no direct causal chain, I don't think any of them feel silly now.

Good to finally have some clarity on the matter. £2 It is then... At least now I don't have to sell one of my kidneys if any of the name plates look worth purchasing!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Thank you very much for that Ed!

It's nice to know when the community threatens you with their wallets that you hastily respond, Frontier (not directed at Ed).

This "clarification" is the right decision... as it turns out, my wallet will now feel more liberal in your store in the near future.

Let this be a lesson to your marketing team - don't treat us like cows.

Marketing team? You really don't pay attention.

I am amazed at how quickly this community have been jumping on things recently. Throughout the entire process it has always been said that others could see your ship name (unless it was deemed obscene), then last night during answering over 120 questions Sandro said something that conflicted with previous information.

So what happens? Do people wait for things to be discussed the next working day? No, they fly off the handle as though the sky was falling in and the world was about to explode. All the people in this thread saying that this "change" was the right decision have completely missed the point it wasn't a change. They weren't caving to the community, it was a slip on a livestream by a developer who had taken his own time to engage with us.

You all seriously need to take a long hard look at yourselves, because the attitude over the last few months is getting ridiculous!

Top Bottom