Ships with proper ship bridges, not upscaled cockpits

It is essentially as it should be for a true-scale product - the camera views are where they should be to present scale accurately and the cockpits/HUDs are designed to provide a consistent and viable pilot experience across all craft.

The scale complaints being made in this thread about ED are pretty much the same as the complaints regarding sense of scale that have been made about X4 - both are true-scale products and are unusual in that regard, most games distort scale in at least some way but neither ED nor X4 do that.
The initial idea of the thread wasn't about sense of scale but about the ratio between cockpit glass and hull, which happens to be a discussion mostly about aesthetics.

The initial idea of the thread wasn't about sense of scale but about the ratio between cockpit glass and hull, which happens to be a discussion mostly about aesthetics.
...for example, I see this ship:

...and it makes me think of something like:

...but then you get some different lighting and it’s hey there little guy:

...so I guess the problem isn’t Elite’s ships, just every other aircraft in existence polluting our brains :)

...so I guess the problem isn’t Elite’s ships, just every other aircraft in existence polluting our brains :)
Pretty much this, what we all have to keep in mind is that manned space craft by necessity will be much larger than your average aeroplane and the duration of journey they are intended to support is far longer than even the longest flight in the real world.

Pretty much this, what we all have to keep in mind is that manned space craft by necessity will be much larger than your average aeroplane and the duration of journey they are intended to support is far longer than even the longest flight in the real world.
I think there are lots of valid points for both sides of the argument. Regardless, just like OP, I don't think the current ship models should change. I wouldn't be against a new large ship with a smaller canopy though.

I mean, that's something most people get the first time they see a space shuttle next to something else for scale. If I had a penny for everyone I've met who initially thought the crew's legs went inside the nose cone, well, I'd have more than the equivalent value of the arx I've made since the september patch, that's for sure.

I mean, that's something most people get the first time they see a space shuttle next to something else for scale. If I had a penny for everyone I've met who initially thought the crew's legs went inside the nose cone, well, I'd have more than the equivalent value of the arx I've made since the september patch, that's for sure.
For reference purposes - The American space shuttle Orbiter space plane is a multi-crew craft (Cockpit/Crew-compartment accommodating a 2-person flight crew plus 2-4 passengers - additional seating is available on the mid-deck) intended for relatively short excursions into orbit. The Viper Mk III is roughly equivalent in terms of size to the Orbiter (the technically correct name for the space shuttle space plane) and is a one-person craft intended for far longer journeys through space with notionally only the cockpit available while in-flight.

I belive this Python interior shot illustrates some of the issues quite well:

You can see how the pilot is in a tall chair, unexpectedly far from the dashboard. And the Python actually has textured footrest under the dashboard where the pilot's feet would be if the whole ship was about 1/2 of its size and the pilot's head was kept at the same relative position.

So no matter what rlsg is saying, many of the ships do seem like they were upscaled from their original size. I would even say so far to say that the default pilot's view is deliberately misleading, making it seem like the ship's cockpit is smaller than it actually is.

I would even say so far to say that the default pilot's view is deliberately misleading, making it seem like the ship's cockpit is smaller than it actually is.
It's only "misleading" in that every ship has the HUD elements positioned and scaled so as to be consistent between all ships irrespective of what the interior layout of the individual ships is. For different ships this means positioning certain elements like the panel in different places relative to the pilot, in order to retain the same perspective.

Had to pry myself out of my Python, spent almost a full year just flying that ship in VR. Those are not foot rests down there, looks more like ventilation grills in VR.

Not my video, gives you a better perspective though. Still hard to translate because you are watching it on a monitor, the bridge does feel spacious, not upscaled in the slightest.

I belive this Python interior shot illustrates some of the issues quite well:
View attachment 148087

You can see how the pilot is in a tall chair, unexpectedly far from the dashboard. And the Python actually has textured footrest under the dashboard where the pilot's feet would be if the whole ship was about 1/2 of its size and the pilot's head was kept at the same relative position.
Errmmm... wrong on pretty much ALL counts in essence (will go into what you got right in a minute)

You clearly need to stop thinking about the HUD projection board as a dashboard like we have in a car.

The so-called foot rests are more likely meant to be vents of some sort rather than foot rests, they may share similar textures to the foot rests but they are clearly not the same model/texture.

Yes - the pilot is elevated in position in order to maximise their field of view and the "dashboard" is large, low and notionally out of easy reach so it does not obstruct the field of view.

As for the ship being half the size, the Viper craft are probably closest in overall design to the Python but the Python does not look like an up-scaled Viper.

Last edited:
Most arguments about incorrect scale / upscaled models are nonsense in my opinion.
The only thing I can get behind is that if you look at large ships from the outside, their huge canopies make the ship appear to be smaller than they are because we are comparing them to things we know from the real world, like airplanes. If that's a problem or not is completely subjective.

Most arguments about incorrect scale / upscaled models are nonsense in my opinion.
The only thing I can get behind is that if you look at large ships from the outside, their huge canopies make the ship appear to be smaller than they are because we are comparing them to things we know from the real world, like airplanes. If that's a problem or not is completely subjective.

Another thing is that many seem to compare ship bridges to a cockpit in an aircraft, or they think certain ships are the size of an aircraft carrier. You view a ship in VR and realise they are closer in size to superyachts.

Top Bottom