Should Frontier continue labouring over Elite Dangerous? Or call it time and work on Elite Dangerous 2?

Case for continuing with Elite Dangerous:
  • Keeping to one game reduces confusion with the franchise
  • Sunk cost fallacy: so much time, dev hours and money has been invested in this game, it might be better to keep going
  • Elite Dangerous is a known quantity
  • It's easier to keep going than it is to do something new

Case for Elite Dangerous 2:
  • The code for ED is a mess as it has been added to and added to and each time they have to fix things that are caused when they add new code
  • Frontier have learned so much since starting ED
  • It would be easier to put in things the community wants that would be harder in ED because ED wasn't designed from scratch for things like walking around and ship interiors or fleet carriers etc
  • Frontier are actually losing money with ED because of all the Lifetime Expansion Pass holders who aren't buying expansions like Odyssey. Elite Dangerous 2 would mean a fresh start without an LEP and therefore income from everyone, not just those without the LEP.

FD as we know it would make an ED2 that is downright inferior to ED. Both FD and CMDRs would be better off if they changed their ways, brought in some fresh talent, and became CMDR-centric.

I can't be the only CMDR who wishes I had reasons to throw my cash at FD. The only game I play nowadays besides ED is Deep Rock Galactic, and their devs are so great that I buy every cosmetic DLC they put out despite not wanting the cosmetics, on top of physical merch. Ironically, I love ED far more than DRG, but have zero interest in giving FD a cent. The position FD has worked themselves into is really something to behold. Like those videos of beached whale carcasses exploding. Fascinating to watch, but imagine the smell...

If they are smart (I am sure they are) they would be planning out/ pre-production on Elite 2 or whatever and be using the current ED as a testbed for tech/gameplay they would like to achieve in ED 2. Not to mention all the shiny new tech they can use without be constrained by all the potatoes( aka older PC and last gen consoles.)

After seeing what they did with Odyssey, do you really trust them to work on Elite Dangerous 2? (I don't)
That's the question though, would they be more motivated and excited to make a new Elite game? Would they be able to make a better job of a new Elite game than they would keeping Elite Dangerous going?

FD as we know it would make an ED2 that is downright inferior to ED. Both FD and CMDRs would be better off if they changed their ways, brought in some fresh talent, and became CMDR-centric.

I can't be the only CMDR who wishes I had reasons to throw my cash at FD. The only game I play nowadays besides ED is Deep Rock Galactic, and their devs are so great that I buy every cosmetic DLC they put out despite not wanting the cosmetics, on top of physical merch. Ironically, I love ED far more than DRG, but have zero interest in giving FD a cent. The position FD has worked themselves into is really something to behold. Like those videos of beached whale carcasses exploding. Fascinating to watch, but imagine the smell...
Same for me now. I'm hanging around for another 2 weeks because they promised significant updates. This is their chance to make it right. I don't expect them to fix everything but they need to show me they can get things working at a reasonable level. If they can't, I'm gone. Account will go in the shredder.

That's the question though, would they be more motivated and excited to make a new Elite game? Would they be able to make a better job of a new Elite game than they would keeping Elite Dangerous going?
And another question:
Would the community move over to a new ED?
The player base is not that big in the first place and a lot if them are people with a significant investment if time and money in ED1....

Bruh. EDO is a new game duct taped onto ED.

Same for me now. I'm hanging around for another 2 weeks because they promised significant updates. This is their chance to make it right. I don't expect them to fix everything but they need to show me they can get things working at a reasonable level. If they can't, I'm gone. Account will go in the shredder.

If that really is your position, shred your account now and save yourself some time. I recommend sticking with EDH amd enjoying what we have. If CMDRs refuse to move on with EDO, FD will more than likely change their ways. Failed products bring serious pressure to change.

Sure, EDO is rubbish, but that's no reason to drop the only decent spacesim we currently have. EDH has a lot of flaws, but it does still rule.

o7

Frontier have learned so much since starting ED
Exactly who has learned? Development teams are not constant entities and developers move on.

The code for ED is a mess as it has been added to and added to and each time they have to fix things that are caused when they add new code
There is no guarantee that the new code will not be just as messy.

Frontier are actually losing money with ED because of all the Lifetime Expansion Pass holders who aren't buying expansions like Odyssey. Elite Dangerous 2 would mean a fresh start without an LEP and therefore income from everyone, not just those without the LEP.
Creating ED2 because of this would be super shady behaviour and border on fraud.

• Frontier are actually losing money with ED because of all the Lifetime Expansion Pass holders who aren't buying expansions like Odyssey. Elite Dangerous 2 would mean a fresh start without an LEP and therefore income from everyone, not just those without the LEP.
I don't think so. They still sell the base game and especially LEP owners often spent more money in ARX and alt accounts than you might think.

They've learned nothing, the proof of that is that they keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

I get the feeling the original game was created by engineers & craftsmen, who didn't document what they did, then moved on. The last few years we've seemingly had mechanics tinkering & modifying it instead of better documented engineering. There are some exceptions of course, not enough though.

My main concern for any future update is what other part of the existing game will be screwed up by tinkering.

They've learned nothing, the proof of that is that they keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.
I respectfully disagree. As a company, Frontier have grown so much, become so much bigger. They now publish their own games, not rely on a publisher and publish other dev's games now. To say Frontier have learned nothing since the kickstarter, just shows you've not been paying attention.
Every time you cook a meal, do you learn nothing from it? Or do you get better each time?

After seeing what they did with Odyssey, do you really trust them to work on Elite Dangerous 2? (I don't)
This. Whoever led the initial (focused) development are obviously gone, and have been for a while. Current development is an absolute incoherent mess with absolutely no focus on what the Elite franchise is all about.

I'm going to call it, and say that Elite: Dangerous peaked pre Engineers. It became a bug ridden money grabbing grind fest from there.

Happily I was there when Elite: Dangerous was at it's best, and I have fond memories. I don't have any hope or confidence that FD can or even want to salvage this debacle. It's all about the green after all. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom