Should Missions now be Rank locked again?

Just spent a good while with the new balance changes, I have to admit that I’m impressed with the changes, and as a combat pilot, even more so. It’s nice to be finally able to earn well in that role.

Since FDev have said that they want risk to equal award is it about time they re locked the missions behind their rank? In my opinion now seems a good time to reintroduce this feature before it’s too late.

I personally feel that this would add weight to earning your rank other than just taking what ever you want.

For the record I’m not full rank - and this would effect me as well, but I still think this would be a good change.

No, I have novice combat rank but those missions would be boring and too easy with my chieftan. People who made money with non combat activities can have big ships and a low combat rank , only high level missions challenge those players.

No, I have novice combat rank but those missions would be boring and too easy with my chieftain. People who made money with non combat activities can have big ships and a low combat rank , only high level missions challenge those players.

And there we have the issue in a nutshell. Should you be able to have access to more the more powerful combat ships when your combat rank is so low? It makes the game feel unbalanced. Maybe you only get access to certain ships once you've reached a certain rank in either exploration, trade or Combat? (lord imagine the salt if that was put in) Or even better, you restrict missions by ship type.

I don't think that missions should be rank locked. Personally I'm triple elite, so it wouldn't matter to me, but I think it'd be silly to prevent people from having fun, even if the game advises you be a certain rank to do a mission.

Gating activities is just awful game design.

I don't think that missions should be rank locked. Personally I'm triple elite, so it wouldn't matter to me, but I think it'd be silly to prevent people from having fun, even if the game advises you be a certain rank to do a mission.

Gating activities is just awful game design.

To be honest, I think it should only display missions up to the ranks you have but make sure there's plenty of them.

No.. the only thing I enjoy is not grinding for in-game advantages but working on my combat skills as a player. The only way I get rewarded for good combat skills in a relatively weak ship (Cobra MK3) is by having the option of hitting missions above my official rank. If those were locked then there is absolutely no motivation to improve at the game as a player.

Just spent a good while with the new balance changes, I have to admit that I’m impressed with the changes, and as a combat pilot, even more so. It’s nice to be finally able to earn well in that role.

Since FDev have said that they want risk to equal award is it about time they re locked the missions behind their rank? In my opinion now seems a good time to reintroduce this feature before it’s too late.

I personally feel that this would add weight to earning your rank other than just taking what ever you want.

For the record I’m not full rank - and this would effect me as well, but I still think this would be a good change.
NO Ranks are mostly just prizes for you grinding enough. Be it trade, exploration, or combat.

wasn't there also a (jokey) suggestion of a quadruple elite reward ? but at the moment there are only about 10 CMDRs with it?

will be interesting to see how they acknowledge the new bio ranking coming with odyssey
No.. the only thing I enjoy is not grinding for in-game advantages but working on my combat skills as a player. The only way I get rewarded for good combat skills in a relatively weak ship (Cobra MK3) is by having the option of hitting missions above my official rank. If those were locked then there is absolutely no motivation to improve at the game as a player.

Cobra Mk3 is not a weak ship by any means, but your right in that taking out larger elite rated ships in small ships is huge fun.
Especially when a Cmdr in an anny thinks that my Mk3 is an easy target for his own amusement.
Just like Mr T says.... "I pity the fool"

Cobra Mk3 is not a weak ship by any means, but your right in that taking out larger elite rated ships in small ships is huge fun.
Especially when a Cmdr in an anny thinks that my Mk3 is an easy target for his own amusement.
Just like Mr T says.... "I pity the fool"
Yeah .. I said relatively. This is my long term goal actually. Max out the Cobra MK3 with engineering/guardian stuff. I have it currently A rated. :)

In a nutshell, YES! Missions should be rank locked, the broken mission rank locks were introduced as a bug in 2.1, and that coupled with the rapid inflation of credits has broken all sense of progression the game has to offer. Accessing Elite missions as a noob creates a need for a powerful ship, which creates the need for a stack of credits, which creates the need for some silly credit fountains like mining has been for the last year or more.

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier
Hi there,

the broken mission rank locks were introduced as a bug in 2.1

No, they were not.

Removing rank as a visible gating mechanic was an intentional part of the mission board revamp that was delivered in 2.1

Accessing Elite missions as a noob

Is not possible as missions only scale to a few ranks ahead or behind your current rank.

thanks,
Dom

Top Bottom