Newcomer / Intro Silent Running Cool Temperature Scan

I know silent running closes your vents and gives you a low heat signature profile to keep stations form scanning you.

What is the ship temperature % where they can begin scanning you again?

I ask because I have some smuggling I want to do and I am flying in an Anaconda.

I have heat sinks equipped and a docking computer.

I can manually land no problem, but that last dozen meters, the docking computer just does it faster.
However, the docking computer turns off Silent Running.

So, my vents open at the last few meters. What I am trying to determine is, how cool (using heat sinks) do I need to keep the ship so I still don't get scanned before I touch down on automatic.

The why of all this is not important, lets just say I am trying to avoid any, imperial, entanglements. :)

Thanks.

If you land at a station, they won't scan you inside, so you can use the docking computer. Outposts (for smaller ships) are no problem because there's hardly ever any security there to scan you. That leaves planetary bases, which are the only places you need to do anything special. On a big slow ship, like an Anaconda, I'd use two heatsink launchers so that you can fire one after the other to stay cool. I wouldn't trust the docking computer for that sort of landing. Sure as eggs are eggs, you'll line up with the pad, engage it, and it'll fly you up and do a tour of the base before it thinks about landing you.

If you land at a station, they won't scan you inside, so you can use the docking computer. Outposts (for smaller ships) are no problem because there's hardly ever any security there to scan you. That leaves planetary bases, which are the only places you need to do anything special. On a big slow ship, like an Anaconda, I'd use two heatsink launchers so that you can fire one after the other to stay cool. I wouldn't trust the docking computer for that sort of landing. Sure as eggs are eggs, you'll line up with the pad, engage it, and it'll fly you up and do a tour of the base before it thinks about landing you.

actually, just a quick comment, they will scan you inside, they did a moment ago, it would have been a fail. I am practicing right now before I try it with real missions.

^^^

Yeah, “Waiting In A Queue” is pretty much guaranteed when using a docking computer. I’ve found that being Allied with the station and coming in calmly and legally is the easiest way to get away with illegal activities. When that isn’t an option heatsinks, speed and manual landings tend to the job. Two heatsinks is normally plenty but if you have more then use them - they’re pennies compared to the worth of your haul or mission.

The station doesn't scan you; the system authority ships outside do.

This means that once you're in the station, you don't need silent running. Just make sure to move off the rotation axis somewhat to break line-of-sight for any sysauth ships that might start scanning you as you make your final approach to the mailslot.

Oh, and dump the DC.

Last edited:
1) inside the station you won't get scanned
2) if you're landing at an outpost (planetside), you can get scanned until you're inside the hangar
3) you can be scanned any time, running silent, hot, cold, whatever. What makes the difference is the distance from which you can be scanned. That can be 5 km (A-rated scanner and you're running hot), or it can be 200 meters (running silent or freezing over). Running silent is not a cloaking device (and even then, you could probably be scanned if someone runs into you).

actually, just a quick comment, they will scan you inside, they did a moment ago, it would have been a fail. I am practicing right now before I try it with real missions.

CMDRs can scan you inside, NPCs will not. I had a mission fail because a CMDR scanned the 'private' passenger just after I boarded them.

Top Bottom