Abandoned Sneak Peek - Surface Navigation

Very impressive, and nice video, though I have to ask how you scrape the data to pass it into the overlay? and how performance heavy is, though yeah, this is definitely something Elite could use, no clue if the incoming bookmark system will be able to work in a similar nature or it is only systems, but yes, race markers and such would definitely also be needed. Devs need to see this.

Last edited:
...Hmm. Leave. I'm an independent contractor. I've been fortunate to have some time recently to burn on this side-project. But that, unfortunately, comes with a lack of paying work. [sad]

Leave from that place of which we do not speak...

Surely you could be able to make money from this excellent piece of software? Hasn't FD offered you a job yet? Oh wait, it's Sunday.

Very impressive, video, though I have to ask how you scrape the data to pass it into the overlay? and how performance heavy is, though yeah, this is definitely something Elite could use, no clue if the incoming bookmark system will be able to work in a similar nature or it is only systems, but yes, race markers and such would definitely also be needed. Devs need to see this.

Live data is read from memory. Performance of the background systems seems to be pretty good provided I don't push it too far.

On the graphics side, this is a WPF app and I am still relying on standard WPF rendering. WPF rendering is pretty good but it really wasn't designed for this kind of thing. I have spent a fair amount of time seriously optimising my own rendering routines, but there are limits to what I can achieve. The next step would be to go closer to pure DirectX rendering.

Generally, the graphics performance is quite good until I get down to the surface. With the huge extra load that ED has in doing its surface rendering, my app seems to lose out in a big way. I think what I have come up with (and I've had to make a few compromises) is acceptable, though.

Live data is read from memory. Performance of the background systems seems to be pretty good provided I don't push it too far.

On the graphics side, this is a WPF app and I am still relying on standard WPF rendering. WPF rendering is pretty good but it really wasn't designed for this kind of thing. I have spent a fair amount of time seriously optimising my own rendering routines, but there are limits to what I can achieve. The next step would be to go closer to pure DirectX rendering.

Generally, the graphics performance is quite good until I get down to the surface. With the huge extra load that ED has in doing its surface rendering, my app seems to lose out in a big way. I think what I have come up with (and I've had to make a few compromises) is acceptable, though.
You may want to get in contact with Frontier with a ticket and ask about the scraping from memory, it is treading close to some lines, that vary from company to company, reading itself shouldn't really be so bad in my book, only manipulating but I think it would be a good idea to get in contact with frontier either way and describe what you are doing and if it is ok in their book, so that when more begin using it it doesn't begin to set off flags.

Surely you could be able to make money from this excellent piece of software?

The thought has crossed my mind. [money]

This will definitely be a paid app. I'm hoping a few people might go for it.

I would love to earn enough from something like this to make it more of a primary project, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Just to ask, how do I follow this? Subscribe the to this thread? Might be worth making a proper thread for it?

It looks brilliant, I have no idea how you get the location data!

Last edited:
Somehow I don't think this is the kind of thing their new employee would be working on. ;)
Dunno, call it Elite: Nav, a separate overlay app for those that want it, get into frontier, continue development there with their support, should speed it up quite nicely, be lead on that, proving yourself, then when other tasks open up, you will have proven what you can do, and helped frontier add more good stuff to Elite?

What I really like about this aesthetically is how the animated vectored planet map you have created shares its style to the zoomed in systems map planet view.
I saw a clock (?) in the video..or is it a timer ?...we won't be requiring a clock (visually at least) as one is being added in the next patch update...

You may want to get in contact with Frontier with a ticket and ask about the scraping from memory, it is treading close to some lines, that vary from company to company, reading itself shouldn't really be so bad in my book, only manipulating but I think it would be a good idea to get in contact with frontier either way and describe what you are doing and if it is ok in their book, so that when more begin using it it doesn't begin to set off flags.

I will be getting in touch with FD (again, actually), but more in regard to licensing.

I know this will be treading in a grey area for a lot of people. I am certain that some won't see grey. They'll see black and white. There are many players out there who decry the use of any third party tools at all.

I am definitely taking a "hands off" approach. Which is essentially: read, but don't touch. The closest I will get to manipulation is via keystroke injecting (like macro software does. VA, for example). I am hoping that people will take a close look at what I am doing before jumping to conclusions.

In any case, it'll certainly be on their radar now.

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Just to ask, how do I follow this? Subscribe the to this thread? Might be worth making a proper thread for it?

It looks brilliant, I have no idea how you get the location data!

Dunno, call it Elite: Nav, a separate overlay app for those that want it, get into frontier, continue development there with their support, should speed it up quite nicely, be lead on that, proving yourself, then when other tasks open up, you will have proven what you can do, and helped frontier add more good stuff to Elite?

This brings up an interesting point. One of the things I have to do... pretty soon... is finalise a name. I've been so focused on building the thing that I have been leaving that aside for the time being.

Short history:

It was actually DJ's version of RegulatedNoise that inspired me to go down this path. I started out making my own version of RegulatedNoise. Sort of a RegulatedNoise Reboot. All current branding in code and UI is RegulatedNoise. With Duke deciding to move on from the name RegulatedNoise, I guess I could keep that. I actually like the name. But I thought it might lead to some confusion.

I am building a multi-purpose companion application for Elite Dangerous. The idea is for it to have a strong backend that is modular and can quickly be added to. The Snake mini-game from my video, as well as being a bit of a joke that I thought might be funny, was actually a fantastic example of how well this has worked. Writing the code for the game itself only took a few hours. Slotting it into the framework of my app and the overlay... almost instant.

Anyway, I was building a lot of this groundwork last year and was just about to get into data capturing to do trade route calculation, when something happened...

Frontier released planetary landings!

Not only was that a bit of a distraction because it was a cool new toy to play with. It very quickly showed me a need that was missing from the implementation. The possibilities started going through my head. So... I took a bit of a detour. And my goodness how painful that proved to be! Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun building the nav system. But I've had to do some serious crash-course learning on 3D maths and graphics techniques. Things like that don't come up too often in my usual enterprise work.

So, while I wanted to show off the cool nav/racing stuff I've been working on. There is sooo much more to come. [big grin]

As for following it, you can follow my Twitter and YouTube accounts for now. I'll probably ramble about things from time to time and post videos (shorter ones) when I can. And I'll post to the forum as well provided everyone doesn't get sick of me.

When I finalise on the name, I'll set up a more permanent web site.

What I really like about this aesthetically is how the animated vectored planet map you have created shares its style to the zoomed in systems map planet view.
I saw a clock (?) in the video..or is it a timer ?...we won't be requiring a clock (visually at least) as one is being added in the next patch update...

Yeah. My clock was already written in way before FD made that announcement. I'll wait to see what they've done before I decide how to move forward with that. I definitely like have local time visible to me as well as universe time. Sometimes we need reminders of when to go to bed. ;)

Development has finally hit a point where I could put a bit of a sneak peek video together. There's still a long way to go but I really wanted to show some of what I have been working on.

I apologise for the length of the video. It's my first major attempt at video production - something I am clearly not great at. I wanted to have a bit of fun with it and I may have got a little carried away. [hehe]

My apologies also if ads are shown during this video. Two of the (properly licensed) audio tracks I used have been copyright flagged. I will be working with the licence holders to have the claims removed as soon as possible.

https://youtu.be/r0IEBpap7UI

You Sir, have won this:

ivWzL6m.jpg

Let me know when beta testing starts.

OP Gratz on the hard work and magic you have created! FDEV get your game together and bring us real, usable features...faster than Soon™!

OP Gratz on the hard work and magic you have created! FDEV get your game together and bring us real, usable features...faster than Soon™!

ON that. I see absolutely no reason why the community can;t do it.

I mean with a open development you get really great solutions through many branches evolving in competition.

It also takes some development load off Frontier.

I mean to be honest, taking the example of planetary landings, I'd be all for a solution where Frontier makes the data available through some subscriber/consumer interface and does a bare minimum reference implementation for release.

I mean navigation in orbital cruise is a good example, the solution in game isn't that good, sure it has the data but it's just not well presented.

This <unnamed> app takes exactly the same data and presents it very useable form, which makes a huge difference.

But sure I know folk have been asking for a Frontier managed API for a while now. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom