Abandoned Sneak Peek - Surface Navigation

NOTE: Frontier Developments have refused the licence request for this application. Development has been suspended indefinitely.

Development has finally hit a point where I could put a bit of a sneak peek video together. There's still a long way to go but I really wanted to show some of what I have been working on.

I apologise for the length of the video. It's my first major attempt at video production - something I am clearly not great at. I wanted to have a bit of fun with it and I may have got a little carried away. [hehe]

BEST VIEWED IN FULL SCREEN
PLEASE NOTE: It's difficult to really get the proper detail of what I'm trying to preview while viewing the videos embedded in this page. I would suggest viewing them at full screen (at 1080p quality).

[video=youtube_share;r0IEBpap7UI]https://youtu.be/r0IEBpap7UI[/video]

ADDED:

This is a pic of the navigation panel:
aHQlYuR.png

Here are some other (related) racing videos:

[video=youtube_share;e-gsYX6lt8s]https://youtu.be/e-gsYX6lt8s[/video]

[video=youtube_share;iUOjI4TpP8k]https://youtu.be/iUOjI4TpP8k[/video]

Last edited:
Wow! Just WOW!
I was puzzled by your sig there for a while and now it's making sense.
Without ruining it for those who haven't yet watched the vid:
While I was watching the first feature, I thought of the second thing that was featured in this vid and then it appeared. Blew my mind away. Then it just got better and better.
I cannot even begin to describe how impressive this is.
Excellent work!
tAh4WV5.gif

OMG! This is insane!
INSANE! INSAAAAAANE!

*Hit in the head by the wife*

Ok ok, so... I know it's silly but- you remember the hollow squares making up the "corridor" the ship had to fly in for landing in a designated spot in Alien? (can't find any good Youtube clip sorry).

I'd LOVE to see that too.
And maybe chnge the Overlay color.

But other than that.

TAKE MY MONEY!

This Mr Khelder is a very very nice tool. And it remembers every planet and land mark ? How ever many you record ?
a game changer I recon. This goes beyond what Frontier seems to be doing with bookmarks from the info I have seen so far.

And here was me last night thinking I'm clever achieving being able to play and stop specific songs and albums via voice attack.

Last edited:
...I apologise for the length of the video...

I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but this OVERLAY you've made/thought out is absolutely excellent. There are several things wrong with your video production though, but you know the most obvious points. I will say this though. A title to your thread and video that actually hinted at the content you want to share would have been a good idea. Just my 2 credits.

Glad to see that you been spending your leave on something creative. :)

Ok ok, so... I know it's silly but- you remember the hollow squares making up the "corridor" the ship had to fly in for landing in a designated spot in Alien? (can't find any good Youtube clip sorry).

I'd LOVE to see that too.

Sorry. It's been years since I've seen Alien and I only own Aliens on DVD (awesome movie). I can't remember any landing sequences from it.

And maybe chnge the Overlay color.

Technically, the overlay colour can be set to anything. I was playing around with different colours to test contrast against different surfaces. Snow can be tricky. I ended up sticking with green. It matched the colour of things like old F-16 HUD displays I was looking at online.

This Mr Khelder is a very very nice tool. And it remembers every planet and land mark ? How ever many you record ?
a game changer I recon. This goes beyond what Frontier seems to be doing with bookmarks from the info I have seen so far.

Thank you. At the moment, I've got it loading points from a file. I'm using XML so that it is human-manageable to an extent. Ultimately, the app will import and maintain the points in its database and will load what it needs based on location and user selection. A future web/online-server setup will help create shareable libraries. For example, a command might choose to subscribe to CMDR Joe's Awsome Sights Guide. Or perhaps share different course maps for racing.

I am very keen to see what FD does with bookmarks and markers. Personal bookmarks is one thing. The advantage my system will have is that marker sets can be shareable between players. But more importantly... optional.

And here was me last night thinking I'm clever achieving being able to play and stop specific songs and albums via voice attack.

A basic music player is on my list of modules to add in the future. The app already has very basic voice control support which needs to be fleshed out. :)

For now... good work making it happen with VA. I haven't had a chance to play with that yet.

awesome!!

and you get the info for the current coords reading the screen? just want to make sure FD doesn't claim this as mem hacking or something :/

I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but this OVERLAY you've made/thought out is absolutely excellent. There are several things wrong with your video production though, but you know the most obvious points. I will say this though. A title to your thread and video that actually hinted at the content you want to share would have been a good idea. Just my 2 credits.

Does my dodgy video production qualify as 'odd'? [wink]

Title probably would have helped, I guess. People don't just check out 'sneak peek' videos just... because?? I didn't want to spoil my surprise. [sad]

Glad to see that you been spending your leave on something creative. :)

Hmm. Leave. I'm an independent contractor. I've been fortunate to have some time recently to burn on this side-project. But that, unfortunately, comes with a lack of paying work. [sad]

Impressive work you have done so far, thumbs up! But something wonders me about it, where from did you get the real time flight data?

awesome!!

and you get the info for the current coords reading the screen? just want to make sure FD doesn't claim this as mem hacking or something :/

No. There is no way that screen reading would work. Live data is polled from memory.

Top Bottom