So cross platform?

Damned if you do? Damned if you don't?

You raise a good point, but again that's not an ED specific issue but one that affects lots of games. I'd guess Frontier is unlikely to be at the forefront, and can just follow whatever path other, bigger companies take.

Linux please

Doubt I'll cling to Windows once they go to the monthly fee format

PC & Mac play together (I realise Mac support is being dropped), I'm not sure a Linux port, if there were one, would have the same issue that consoles do. It's not really a technical limitation.

Last edited:
But what about us Nintendo Switch players? I want to show off my Mario and Bowser ship skins to all you PC players!

;-)

Take a picture of the screen with your phone & upload it to imgur ;)

I'm not sure the controller issue is any different on a potential tablet port than it would be in fortnite say.

I'm not sure the controller issue is any different on a potential tablet port than it would be in fortnite say.

The Switch allows you to fire chaff by waving the controller madly about your head, although if you wave it wildly about your rear end it jettisons all cargo.....

Before everyone sharpens their pitchforks and marches on FD HQ, remember that it's down to Microsoft and Sony... It's not because FD wouldn't do it, it's because the platform providers won't let them.

And that's because it's all about the money.

I've long been of the opinion that cross platform gameplay is the way it should be.

Why can't I play with/against my brother when he has a console and I a PC?

It's not FD at fault here. They have released their game across many platforms.

Controllers are not the issue. I have played a COD clone on my PC and my nephew preferred the controller to my mouse/keyboard control set up. What's more he played better than me.. 😏

Anyway you can get controllers, keyboards and nice for all platforms, so that not an issue either.

The big companies just want to lock you in so you have to buy only their games on their consoles and can't go buying from someone else so they don't have to share the profits.

😠

I'd like to see more interaction, I don't really see a downside so perhaps it's only a matter of time.

Most games, if they favour a controller method at all, favour kbm, a control set common to an enormous number of PvP games, not only ED. So while PvP parity is a potential issue it's not a problem with ED but with consoles. A problem that to my mind is not that difficult to solve :)

That's true mate.
it's not a problem with ED but with consoles.

We PS4 peasants would simply wipe you PC Lords away. With or without controllers.
But we would practise mercy...
;)

Other than that - yes, we would highly appreciate being able to play cross platform as well.
:)

Last edited:
I really want them to add this, but I don't think they will... :-(

Things FDev has said in the past:
1) They would like to see crossplay.
2) Patches and upgrades for PS and XBox take longer (this is why betas are PC only).
3) They are concerned to make sure that PvPers on one platform would not be at a disadvantage to players on another platform because of controllers.

There is a possible problem with duplicate CMDR names, and there may be issues with how players are instanced, but if the opportunity arises, it's certainly something they will look at seriously. It should benefit everyone.

1) Good!
2) Not a problem
3) Just make a setting to enable or disable cross play - let players choose like they can in other games

4) I can confirm I am CMDR Greylock3491 on all three platforms and have first discovered planets on all three, but...

Sticking -PC, -XBox or -PS on the end would solve that, might not even need to actually display it either.

This is the same solution I was thinking about.

Man it would be awesome to have cross-play with squadrons!

That's true mate.
it's not a problem with ED but with consoles.

We PS4 peasants would simply wipe you PC Lords away. With or without controllers.
But we would practise mercy...
;)

Other than that - yes, we would highly appreciate being able to play cross platform as well.
:)

I would like for you to have the opportunity do do so ;)

(I use a Hotas on PC btw, and I would probably run :D)

Deleted member 110222

D
Just thought I should let you know about a very recent posting by Razer.

They published a teaser video last night, showing a keyboard and mouse, and the video had Xbox branding.

This has never happened before.

I think mouse and keyboard on Xbox is at most, months away.

True, but it might break immersion for the nitpickers

Tough.

Deleted member 110222

D
I think the problem just got more complicated...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/25/17903312/microsoft-xbox-one-keyboard-mouse-support-razer-features

The important point is that the game developer has to enable game support.

So if FDEV enable mouse and keyboard for ED XBOX, are they making an unfair playing field within XBOX console players? Or are they making strides towards enabling full cross-play?

Damned if you do? Damned if you don't?

Xbox stopped being fair years ago.

How is it "fair" that I have to race against people running steering wheels, pedals and gear shifters in Forza?

Hell, how is it fair that I have a HOTAS where most have a rubbish-4-flight gamepad?

How is it fair that fighting game players use fight sticks and big button boxes?

Microsoft doesn't give a monkey's about fairness. If there's money to be made, fairness goes out of the window.

Sony just few weeks ago openly said they prefer their walled garden and Microsoft as second place loser can toss it.

Yeah, they are very few real technical difficulties, basically it is all about some imagined glory platforming.

To be fair, Microsoft also wants to be exclusive platform for gaming on PC. That's why Valve started their SteamOS initiative.

Everybody understands that if they are not exclusive for something, their change for good marketing of devices quickly diminishes and must rely on overall quality of the build and system.

Sony just few weeks ago openly said they prefer their walled garden and Microsoft as second place loser can toss it.

Yeah, they are very few real technical difficulties, basically it is all about some imagined glory platforming.

To be fair, Microsoft also wants to be exclusive platform for gaming on PC. That's why Valve started their SteamOS initiative.

Everybody understands that if they are not exclusive for something, their change for good marketing of devices quickly diminishes and must rely on overall quality of the build and system.

Which imho is a very shortsighted thinking of Microsoft and Sony should it be valid.

I am convinced ED (and many other games) would benefit from cross platform play and attract even more players cause they could play with their friends even if those are not willing to change always platforms only to be able playing everything.

I would love to play Destiny with my son but I can't be bothered to change to PC for that cause I consider PS4 more convenient.
And as everybody has his/her personal preference the big players forego opportunities for making more revenue.

But tbh I also do not expect it coming for ED.
If ever being implemented that would put e.g. the whole powerplay open only discussion on a complete different base of operations.
o7

Top Bottom