So cross platform?

Either Sony caves and permits unrestricted cross platform play before the deadline... or the developers pull the plug until the screams of the outraged owners of Sony consoles force Sony to back down.
If I've learned anything from Democracy it's that people will do what ever benefits themselves and that not everyone agrees where that benefit lies.

I would suggest an additional class of "Open": "Open (Own Platform only)". Obviously, if you're playing on PC, XBox or PS4, you'll see only CMDRs playing whichever platform you're playing upon, and none of the others. In effect, it's just what we have now. To clarify, you'll only see players who are also playing in "Open (Own Platform only)".

However, with full cross-platform play, "Open" becomes "You'll see players playing on any supported platform". It will be true cross-platform play, not the "Open (Own Platform only)" play we currently have where only the background sim is common to all platforms.

Sony PS4 runs on Orbis, a fork of Linux. Microsoft Corp <<(minus it's Unix for Windows and Posix) >> and Linux don't mix. Good luck on that one.

I'm a professional software developer, and I can say that it is not nearly as difficult as you make it sound. Applications get ported between - or developed for - both platforms all the time. The high level language can easily be written to allow for platform differences, and only the compiler software needs to know all the details.

The problem with ultimatums as suggested is that the big console companies have bought up the developers. Yes there are independent developers, such as FD, but these have to be nice to console suppliers if they want their games on those and not just the PC.
It's only us purchasers of game that could carry any weight, but that's not really practical, each platform has its own user group.
Proffit driven companies only change if they can see it is in their interest.

I'm a professional software developer, and I can say that it is not nearly as difficult as you make it sound. Applications get ported between - or developed for - both platforms all the time. The high level language can easily be written to allow for platform differences, and only the compiler software needs to know all the details.
I agree, the issue is only porting the software, which is not impossible , not the communication between server and user machines.

The point is: a communication like this one would be nice from Frontier: War Thunder Dev: We’ve Asked Sony About Console Crossplay Multiple Times, Haven’t Received Clearance Yet

If you don't ask, you don't get. Is there interest from Frontier's side to make this happen? If so, do something proactive. Sony won't certainly come knocking at the door in Cambridge begging for Elite to go cross-play.
It might be an idea to get a Nintendo port of game and then get Microsoft and Nintendo to allow cross platform play, then maybe Sony will come knocking.?
We can hope 🙄

The major problem any company has with this is patches, look at it if PC patches are instant you just push it out and after an hour it goes live. On PlayStation and Xbox it has to go through ratification hoops then takes a while then other checks then goes live I can imagine the salt mountain becoming a salt planet with "Why can my mate see this item but I can't" etc.

Sometimes everyone playing together is nice if we can all play in the same game but it's not always the case.

Tis a little difficult to be optimistic when yer game crashes every ten minutes in the SRV...tis a shame FD dont consider console game breaking bugs as priority...makes yer light hearted attempt at humour look a bit feeble truth be told. They want us smiling then give us something to smile about...otherwise...
Since when does the game crash while in an SRV?

From what I've heard/seen online, it's been up to Sony for a while, and they don't want it. Granted, I'm not positive that this is all true. It is the internets after all.

Sony pushed for cross-play last gen, but Microsoft refused to do it. Now that Sony is top dog, they are refusing to go cross-play with everything but the most popular titles (I think the new CoD will be cross-play, and I'm not sure if Fortnite is or will be).

I'd like cross-play because I have family and friends on other consoles and PC. I'm hoping all the stupid competition holding this back will eventually give and we get more games next gen that will be cross-play.

The major problem any company has with this is patches, look at it if PC patches are instant you just push it out and after an hour it goes live. On PlayStation and Xbox it has to go through ratification hoops then takes a while then other checks then goes live I can imagine the salt mountain becoming a salt planet with "Why can my mate see this item but I can't" etc.

Sometimes everyone playing together is nice if we can all play in the same game but it's not always the case.

For E.D. Frontier release patches (edit: read content) for all platforms at the same time - So this is not a reason to restrict Cross-Play

From what I've heard/seen online, it's been up to Sony for a while, and they don't want it. Granted, I'm not positive that this is all true. It is the internets after all.

Sony pushed for cross-play last gen, but Microsoft refused to do it. Now that Sony is top dog, they are refusing to go cross-play with everything but the most popular titles (I think the new CoD will be cross-play, and I'm not sure if Fortnite is or will be).

I'd like cross-play because I have family and friends on other consoles and PC. I'm hoping all the stupid competition holding this back will eventually give and we get more games next gen that will be cross-play.

Full Crossplay (PC/Xbox/PS4) games:

COD 2019
Fortnite
Rocket League
Dauntless

Granted, it is not exactly common. But it's not impossible either. Would probably take some pestering from Frontier to happen.

Besides, they should hurry, for if the 2020 update does have base building or any kind of way for us to put permanent assets in-game that would make it much more complex.

Nope. Or at least not for a pvp competitive game.

PC has cheats and tons of features that may look like an exploit for a console player (yes, voice attack and all the scripts and shortcuts and macros and automation that comes with them).
Cross platform only for XB/PS: YES Please.

Cross platform isn't a technological issue, it is a corporate ego (not FD, usually console companies) and bureaucratic issue.
Exactly! There was a game released some time ago for XBox and PS4, and it accidentally included cross-play. One or both of the companies (Sony / Microsoft) had a fit and a patch was shortly put out to "fix" this terrible "bug".

The same goes with keyboard support on PS4. ED actually had some very minor keyboard support on PS4 that was likely copy-n-pasted from PC code, and as soon as Frontier discovered this, they "fixed" the problem (way faster than they fix bugs that matter BTW). This is proof that these "limitations" on consoles are dictated policy, not an issue of hardware or OS anything like that.

Sony being Richards (not just regarding consoles, cough Spider-Man cough) is one of the reasons I'm starting to have second thoughts about upgrading to the PS5 when the day comes.

Top Bottom