General / Off-Topic So... Do we have free will? :)

This is what I was after, earlier. It’s not really faith. You know.
How does that knowledge manifest it self?
What made you sure? What do/did you see?

the statement i made.... "i know for certain i was created... for i am the creation of that which created me!!"
is true of heaven understanding as it is true of human understanding
acknowledging both cements my own faith!!

the statement i made.... "i know for certain i was created... for i am the creation of that which created me!!"

Good for you.
I don't want to crush your beliefs, but me, i'm atheistic from a very very young age.
I'm just part of an evolutionary chain, I exist for however long i will have the privilege to, and when i die, i'm gone.
I can accept that reality of life. But this thread is about the philosophical theorem of "what IS free choice and do i have a free will."
And from a purely philosophical standpoint this has many right answers.

That would make me the creation of what which created me, as well.
I don’t know for certain, so there has to be more to it.
If it was that simple, everyone would know.

This is what I was after, earlier. It’s not really faith. You know.
How does that knowledge manifest it self?
What made you sure? What do/did you see?

Faith is best illustrated in this scripture
Matthew 8:5-13

... For jesus was astounded by the amount faith that was exhibited in the Centurian
youll notice there are many acknowledgements both of earth and heaven... do you know what acknowledgements express the measure of the centurions faith??

Faith is best illustrated in this scripture
Matthew 8:5-13

... For jesus was astounded by the amount faith that was exhibited in the Centurian
youll notice there are many acknowledgements both of earth and heaven... do you know what acknowledgements express the measure of the centurions faith??
Appealing to authority is the least effective way there is to make an argument. It only works if the people you are making your case to agree on the authority.

Humans and they called it BOOK or The book.
Well, they're not technically incorrect, though personally, I'd probably call it a title with more informational value.
I'd say the old one should be called "Guide to other tribes and how to kill them" and the new one "Okay, we might have overdone it so let's pull back a little and salvage what we can, people are still gullible"

Appealing to authority is the least effective way there is to make an argument. It only works if the people you are making your case to agree on the authority.

Matthew 7:9-11 King James Version (KJV)
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Yeah, this is what I was talking about. Quoting scripture in this thread is definitely not helping your case. In fact, it implies your argument has been torpedoed beneath the water line and is going down fast. Mind you, that's coming from someone who's sympathetic to your cause.

Retool your argument, my friend.

Deuteronomy 20:10-14

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

That's how it must have felt like for the people who were being exposed to all those Missionaries who with constant attempts tried to make them join their religion.
Offtopicness by means with of recitals, i think that's a first.

Last edited:
I would have been comfortable keeping the discussion of Christianity restrained to it's connection with morality and ethics inasmuch as they pertain to the concept of free will. Not sure what some of you are on about at this point. I will say that denigrating people for their religious beliefs is pretty distasteful.

I would have been comfortable keeping the discussion of Christianity restrained to it's connection with morality and ethics inasmuch as they pertain to the concept of free will. Not sure what some of you are on about at this point. I will say that denigrating people for their religious beliefs is pretty distasteful.
That is the problem right there. There is an inherrent problem with personal beliefs. Just like opinions (that's what they are, after all), they are yours to have and nobody's to take. Until you publish them.

Last edited:

Sorry but if someone constantly recites the biblical verses, i see that as a means to shove their religion in my face.
I had to endure a christian School in my Childhood until they kicked me out. Did you ever see a non religious person reciting Darwin's each and every word?
And don't mix it up with the average Darwinist ;)

Plus that can't really be considered philosophical, but is a merely theological approach

Insulting and calling people stupid, simply because they have a opinion, that opposes your own. Isn't very nice either.

I think, that stating that a chicken, is more intelligent than I am; hit that mark.

Let he who has not sinned; cast the first stone.

I don’t know for certain, so there has to be more to it.
If it was that simple, everyone would know.

Faith doesn't need anything, that's why it's called faith.

Feeling faith is one thing, imparting it is something else entirely. Can't convert someone, one way or another, unless they are missing something that whatever you're selling can fill.

If i order fish and get snake, I get miffed.

I'd at least taste it first, maybe it's better than what I ordered.

Would pass on the stone though.

I will say that denigrating people for their religious beliefs is pretty distasteful.

What makes religious belief more sacrosanct than any other?

I realize it's a taboo subject, probably to keep people from becoming irrationally offended to the point of waging pogroms against each other, but most of us certainly have non-religious beliefs we feel just as strongly about, that are also far more rational and easy to articulate, and can take offense at the denigration of those just as easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom