So, Odyssey - 1st thoughts?

I'm not seeing any new planet generation tech in the images. No foliage, trees or life in any of the posted images.
Makes me wonder if they have actually spend that much time on it...

It's got cliff textures that follow the direction of the terrain. Which is nice. Although I think they'll need a lot more texture variety going on to stop it looking too procedural.

Dunno. I'm a bit underwhelmed too. Hope they've progressed a bit past this stage.

Can't wait.

The surface improvements look great. Obviously we don't know what'll be included in the release (earth-likes? Unlikely. Volcanic planets? Ammonia planets, possibly? Water worlds? Probably not...)

I can't wait for the atmospheric backgrounds, IMO it's a subtle but big improvement on combat when it'll be easier to see ships against a bright background, instead of relying heavily on HUD markers.

I see the combat elements as a bonus rather than a key feature. I'd have been happy with exploration, scouting, scavenging, repair etc. I'm happy to see the jet-packs, they're pretty crucial in getting out of awkward corners, particularly on PG terrain.

Can't wait to see if they add any audio/visual/flight-model differences for the atmospheric flight. Heating up on re-entry? Sonic booms? Turbulence? Weather effects?

For me the only downside to this are the keybinds. More keybinds. Whelp.

Definition of odyssey. 1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune his odyssey from rural South to urban North, from poverty to affluence, from Afro-American folk culture to a Eurocentric world of books— J. E. Wideman.

Picks up note ..... "If you are reading this, I have died leaving you very little, except these boots .... use them wisely and you will one day escape this miserable planet."

I see a pre-rendered, good quality trailer. Ambition I can judge from actual ingameplay footage.
Here you go! ;)
200.gif

So, what are your thoughts?

I hope it doesn't screw up the base game.

I'm still clinging onto the idea that, since Odyssey will be an optional expansion, it should make minimal changes to the base game.

That's not to say I don't like the idea of space-legs.
I'm quite looking forward to it... as long as there's gameplay attached to it and it's not just me moving around in a person-shaped SRV.
I just hope they don't totally wreck the spaceship part of the game, that's largely working properly, in the process of adding an FPS element to it.

The big question I have from that trailer is the scale question, because planets are big.

The scale looks like the base in the trailer is at least a couple of miles away from where they parked the Cobra. Are people really going to spend 20 minutes walking to get there? It'll be more interesting than 20 minutes supercruise but the novelty is presumably going to wear off fairly quickly.
(And sure, people will walk around entire planets because they can, but as something with designed gameplay?)

It could just mean additions to where the existing settlements are - Sag A*, Colonia, bubble, misc nebulae around the bubble.

On the other hand in nine months time when this arrives there'll be Fleet Carriers offering station-like services everywhere in the galaxy, so it probably won't feel too unusual for NPC bases to follow them.

SRV

I'm sort of meh about the whole space legs thing. I'm just going to wait and see. My main hope is that they don't require you to use space legs for things that are now simply done from your cockpit. I don't want to have to jump through hoops like star citizen does just to sell your cargo: land, shut down your ship, hop out, go to train station, board train, get off train, walk to terminal, do transaction, then reverse it all to get back to your ship and take off.

The big question I have from that trailer is the scale question, because planets are big.

The scale looks like the base in the trailer is at least a couple of miles away from where they parked the Cobra. Are people really going to spend 20 minutes walking to get there? It'll be more interesting than 20 minutes supercruise but the novelty is presumably going to wear off fairly quickly.
For stealth 🤫 Let's hope there's a feature where you are rewarded for not crashing in with your ship 300m away from the target !

In conclusion, if Frontier Development puts a gun in every commanders hand without good purpose, justification or reason, then this game will become just another version of Star Citizen.

o7...
If there are guns in the game, people will use them for whatever they want regardless of their "proper" use, so that's already a lost cause :p If Elite become star citizen without the crippling bugs, I see that as a very good thing. SC is amazing when it isn't falling apart.

Top Bottom