So.....that Tech Broker

This was the first thing I was a little disappointed with. I like the idea of unlocking new tech for sure, but by the same gathering x,y,z that unlocks everything?

I was hoping the narrative would be more about picking up personal chain or tip off missions that connect and eventually lead to a pay off (tech unlock). The missions could even direct a person to collectable caches to bring back.

Regardless of what the tech is, and I too hope for more than just weapons, I do hope that the method for unlocking things isn't really just bring a load of materials / data. We've been doing that for some time now with the engineers, and that is not a narrative of any kind, let alone a personal one.

Hopefully FD can make it so the brokers have selections of missions that one can perform to gain their favor and be able to unlock tech. Salvage missions that provide some of the materials, assassinations where the target drops stuff that we need, different missions for different play-styles that gain you favor with the broker and get you the materials that they are looking for. Surely that is more like a personal narrative that players can choose to undertake.

This is a good idea, gives the player mini goals to acquire things they may want, but it will be so much better if there are a number of 'quests' that need to be performed rather than just blowing up random rocks on a planet surface in the hope of finding whatever.

Yeah, but there has to be 'some' kind of unlock, and if it was just credits it would be pointless?

I agree, but that Meta Alloy Hull Reinforcement will surely require.....Meta Alloy. And that stuff ain't cheap.

Hopefully the Brokers won't just require mats and (I suspect) alloys.

This was the first thing I was a little disappointed with. I like the idea of unlocking new tech for sure, but by the same gathering x,y,z that unlocks everything?

I was hoping the narrative would be more about picking up personal chain or tip off missions that connect and eventually lead to a pay off (tech unlock). The missions could even direct a person to collectable caches to bring back.

I always reckon FD should be cut a little slack when bringing in any entirely new system .. but that's a very interesting idea going forwards. Might be worth a suggestion in focussed feedback when beta starts, that some tech unlocks could be given as mission rewards?

Well that's any game ever really.

Last I checked material market/trade is part of this update as well? so that might help significantly?

What I am curious about is if those unlocks are global or only at the station with the broker. I don't remember them specifying that in the stream.

What I am curious about is if those unlocks are global or only at the station with the broker. I don't remember them specifying that in the stream.

Global .. but the modules themselves won't be available to buy at every outfitting.

Tech Brokers themselves generally exist in high population systems.

I always reckon FD should be cut a little slack when bringing in any entirely new system .. but that's a very interesting idea going forwards. Might be worth a suggestion in focussed feedback when beta starts, that some tech unlocks could be given as mission rewards?
oh certainly, I try to avoid engaging in the negativity. The only time I really felt strongly about a change was ship transfer. I appreciate all the hard work FD put into Elite and have found something compelling and fun in every update since launch. Beyond 3.0 is looking amazing!

This one looks cool, I was hoping for something with a little more depth than gather to unlock.

We’ll see how the beta goes! Very Hyped!

Disappointing, and those material requirements are trivial guys, I can get 30 technetium in 4 hours.

Sounds like fun, but it makes no sense. I love the description of the shock cannon, but as an Elite pilot, why the bloody hell would my access to it depend on my giving some mafia looking dude in a suit 120 of his favorite exotic engineering materials!?! :S

Chieftain looks great though. :) Planets too.

Last edited:
This counts as 'personal narrative'? lol bodes well

Looked OK though just wish we'd had this all along instead of those rngineers

Love the suggestion of unlocking tech being bound to some sort of personalised missions for each broker.

Also, global unlock? That doesn't make any sense at all. Unlocking the broker should then allow buying the tech from that broker (and possibly a small group of affiliated ones). Either an outfitter has the tech or doesn't - why would an outfitter only sell to the player once you've shown that you've impressed some guy somewhere?

Also really REALLY hope there's more tech than just pew-pew related.

Some of the material unlock requirements are tweaked a little bit too high, I hope they change them to be a better balance of fun and grind. 30 Vanadium is okay since it is a very common material but 30 Technetium is just a bit ridiculous in my opinion since it's one of the rarest materials in the game. Then there's also the problem of material storage. I saw 4 materials each with 30 as their requirement so that's 120 materials needed to unlock a single tech item. Keep in mind we will want to use most of these materials for engineering as well so will we be getting expanded material storage to address this new need to store upwards of 30 of almost every single material?

Personal story-wise, I would have preferred if the unlock requirements came in the form of missions. Like do 30 of a given mission type to unlock this item. That would feel more like I am creating my own story rather than fetching a bunch of generic unobtainium.

I like the tech broker. Since they said there will be many, many more modules, and the price seems to be fairly high, I can see how players will have to prioritize which modules they unlock. This gives a little more "character building" to the game, to make ships a little more unique. I think this is why they consider this personal narrative, it's a little RPG like.

I like the tech broker. Since they said there will be many, many more modules, and the price seems to be fairly high, I can see how players will have to prioritize which modules they unlock. This gives a little more "character building" to the game, to make ships a little more unique. I think this is why they consider this personal narrative, it's a little RPG like.

OK yeah, I see what you're saying.

Some of the material unlock requirements are tweaked a little bit too high, I hope they change them to be a better balance of fun and grind. 30 Vanadium is okay since it is a very common material but 30 Technetium is just a bit ridiculous in my opinion since it's one of the rarest materials in the game. Then there's also the problem of material storage. I saw 4 materials each with 30 as their requirement so that's 120 materials needed to unlock a single tech item. Keep in mind we will want to use most of these materials for engineering as well so will we be getting expanded material storage to address this new need to store upwards of 30 of almost every single material?

I'm sure they mentioned (or I read this somewhere before tonight) that the limits for both data and materials will be raised to 100 per data type/material.

Tech broker functionality, I am pleasantly shocked tbh. I was thinking this was just going to be a data material trade agent. So happy to have been wrong.

Top Bottom