So you want to know about the Formidine Rift? (Part 3)

He did

I think it's always worth remembering not just what you or we know, but what They know. They - be they Fed/ImpINRA/DW/some shady lot we don't know yet know more than we do. They know what Thargoid tech looks like, They know what's hidden in the Rift, They know what happened to SS1

The Rift stuff is kept deeply secret, the UA stuff is happening in the wide open and noone recognises the tech and the Thargoid situation is tucked away behind some post-war treaty that we're not privy to. They all exist in partial isolation - I'm sure there'll be some cross-talk but these are all different threats not being linked together by those who know more already. The rift threat is referred to as 'worse than the thargoids' and being intentionally hidden in the fed/imp databanks - they wouldn't be letting such public action as the UA mystery point everyone towards it

I floated a Galnet story up to Ian Dingwall at Fdev that implied that the Federation lost knowledge about area like the Rift when Halsey went missing and that her deep psychosis has made recovering such classified info difficult to recover. Frontier passed on my story. A possible meaning: The Federation knows something. Another possibility: my story sucked :)

I floated a Galnet story up to Ian Dingwall at Fdev that implied that the Federation lost knowledge about area like the Rift when Halsey went missing and that her deep psychosis has made recovering such classified info difficult to recover. Frontier passed on my story. A possible meaning: The Federation knows something. Another possibility: my story sucked :)
They did let another story through though which makes me think there's a plan afoot with that data. I hope it doesn't vanish into nothingness - it's clearly a good story thread to tug on

ahh nuts.... I'll have a look later, but I'm heading clockwise back to civilisation. I think the XBOX community are putting a big exploratory mission together to celebrate catching up to the PC Commanders.

As much as this?

In a private cerimony bound send shock through the Empire, Lady Kahina Tijani Loren married her personal pilot and travel companion Hassan Farrukh Sharma, formerly a farmer from a back-world colony in the Wredguia sector.

The marriage only came to light due to noise complaints about the loud Kowe band playing long into the early hours the following morning. "Who doesn't love a wedding," said a long term resident of the Yatpmur Mithra Resort "but that racket stretches anyone's tolerance to the absolute limit."

On Capital a Palace source expressed no interest in the former Senator's activities but added in older days this could never happen. When asked, Lady Kahina's legal representative Cuthrick Delaney just repeated her long held position, "The Lady does not like to be late."

cats and canaries

Im one of the CoR Members on Xbox, and a few of us are already out in the rift doing rift stuff. We are planning to make it back in time to equip SRV's and such to bring out here with us though

Im one of the CoR Members on Xbox, and a few of us are already out in the rift doing rift stuff. We are planning to make it back in time to equip SRV's and such to bring out here with us though

You XBox guys will NOT be disappointed. So happy you will be catching us PC users up very soon.

Almost certainly not relevant...

Interesting...

20 DEC 3300 – Arissa Lavigny is the Daughter of the Emperor
Arissa Lavigny, the outspoken courtier and the daughter of historic socialite Prince Aristide Lavigny (famously eaten by his own pet Linglang when Arissa was very young) has declared that the Prince was not her father.​

She claimed that she is in fact the illegitimate daughter of Emperor Hengist. She spent many of her early years around the Imperial Court. Her father and mother were close friends of the Emperor, and perhaps now we know why. Her mother is still seen in court from time to time.​
The information was conveyed in a press release and our requests for an interview with Arissa have so far been declined.​
This would put her claim to the throne ahead of Aisling Duval's, but her parents being unmarried still means her claim is not solid. Palace officials could not be drawn to comment, but the fact that the Palace has not issued a denial is significant.​

06 MAY 3301 – Prism Senator Summoned to Achenar
Senator Kahina Tijani Loren’s Imperial Courier was seen departing early morning local time from the Avalon shipyards. It rendezvoused with The Imperial Interdictor Atticus, Admiral Brice last known to be in command.​

The convoy is believed to be enroute to the Achenar system.According to the Imperial Herald, Senator Loren is “being hailed as a true daughter of the Empire, and assigned the rights and responsibilities as appropriate to her rank.”​
Quite what this means is not clear, even to seasoned Imperial watchers.​
Senator Loren’s political leanings are even less clear. She is reportedly in favour of slavery, having been quoted as saying “Slavery is a safety net, it ensures nobody can starve or fall into poverty.”​
She is also clearly prepared to use violence to achieve her aims – as revolutionaries on her home world of Prism were summarily executed after she returned to power.​
By contrast she seems to be in favour of closer political ties with the Federation and the Alliance. Her recent trip to the Sol system was either a carefully orchestrated political gambit, or just happy chance. Either way, her positive profile with in the Federation is certainly a factor.​
Senator Loren was involved in a wide-spread space battle during the reclamation of the Prism, which may have influenced her views on the effectiveness and desirability of major naval engagements.​

just read dommaarraas sheet and noticed that the coordinates he has for the rr line differ (greatly) from the ones i figured out weeks ago. the reason is simple: he used excell, i used wolfram alpha. can someone please figure out which ones are the right ones?

an example:

dommaarraa

-7,000 ly-5,470 ly
-7,500 ly-5,862 ly

wolfram alpha:

-7.000,00-5.463,78
-7.100,00-5.573,77
-7.200,00-5.652,05
-7.300,00-5.730,33
-7.400,00-5.808,61
-7.500,00-5.886,89

just read dommaarraas sheet and noticed that the coordinates he has for the rr line differ (greatly) from the ones i figured out weeks ago. the reason is simple: he used excell, i used wolfram alpha. can someone please figure out which ones are the right ones?

How many significant digits did you use. Not sure it could account for an error of that magnitude, and the error is pretty minor, not even a system separations worth.

Here are the EDSM coords for them.

Reorte: 75.75 / 48.75 / 75.15625
Riedquat: 68.84375 / 48.75 / 69.75

i used the same formula as him and probably everybody else: Y=0.782805 * X + 15.8587

Just checked the source, Domm's sheet uses this formula:

.7837104 * X + 15.8587

So there's the discrepancy. I'd have to check my own sheet to voice an opinion on which is right. It doesn't really matter all that much, the error bars between the two are smaller than standard system separation at that distance so not quite this bad:

digging-in-the-wrong-place.jpg

Last edited:

.7837104 * X + 15.8587

So there's the discrepancy. I'd have to check my own sheet to voice an opinion on which is right. It doesn't really matter all that much, the error bars between the two are smaller than standard system separation at that distance so not quite this bad:

https://insightgenesis.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/digging-in-the-wrong-place.jpg

There is a small diference in digits between EDSM and EDDB coordinates. It amounts to less then 100 ly on the outer edge of the outer arm. It is probably totally insignificant. The RR-line will probably not be more accurate than the numbers you can obtain in-game.

.7837104 * X + 15.8587

https://insightgenesis.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/digging-in-the-wrong-place.jpg

They're actually both wrong because floating point is the tool of the devil creating evil irrational terms. Their further evil is proven because for some values they can create angelic terms such as the square roots of 9, 16, 25,,,,but mostly make for irrational evil.

Vector math evades the evil of floating point and is super duper simple for quick hand math with the virtue that a point you calculate will be 100% no question on the line whether you're working in 2D,3D,4D,,,or even infinity D.

point 2 minus point 1 equals your vector
you can multiply the vector by any number and add that to any other already known point to get your new point

p2-p1=v
nv+p1=p3

Looking this up I see it's the entry point to an entire branch of math and computer graphics designers especially will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid floating point.

As a side note I think I know where the difference between their calculation of slope comes from,,,,edsm and eddb have different values for Reorte and Riedquat

Reorte
X:75.75
Y:48.75
Z:75.15625

Riedquat
X:68.84375
Z:69.75

versus

Reorte
Z:75.16

Riedquat
X:68.84

floating point is the tool of the devil creating evil irrational terms
Looking this up I see it's the entry point to an entire branch of math and computer graphics designers especially will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid floating point.
lol and fact.

Reorte
Z:75.15625

Riedquat
X:68.84375

versus

Reorte
Z:75.16

Riedquat
X:68.84

I'm sure in terms of the RR line, it's just a pointer towards the rift as opposed to being something we need to follow forensically.

But in the interests of pursuing the truth ... Which one is correct ? Can someone jump into 2.1 and check the coords, as I believe they display for all systems now.

I'm sure in terms of the RR line, it's just a pointer towards the rift as opposed to being something we need to follow forensically.

But in the interests of pursuing the truth ... Which one is correct ? Can someone jump into 2.1 and check the coords, as I believe they display for all systems now.

The longer versions are the values from EDSM, and are the ones use in the Rifters Sheet. Accurate to 1/8ly which is what ED use.
It doesnt make a whole hill of beans, the rounded values still point at what we know as the Rift.

So, in canon the Thargoids actually tell us that the 'girl' will lead us to salvation? What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Insofar as it is from Oolite, this is not canon. Although there are similarities in the two universes I do not think we can need to transpose it to the ED unvierse.

Edit: Also I have not read the Oolite saga, I don't know the context in which these words were used. And depending to the context, they may have a different meaning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom