Sound in ED

That device will be doing 2 things for you basically (anyone smarter than me feel free to correct), first is the headphone amp, and probably more importantly, providing the engine that will be translating a multi channel audio source into a stereo output (for your headphones) thats spaced as far apart as your ears and has all those sources magically positioned in it..

I think its foremost a subjective test on which algorithm produces the most pleasing results. The choices you have today are pretty much SBX pro studio surround (i think used to be thx subsequently improved), dolby headphone, and of course sennheisers one. If you're searching for reviews, the surround engine comparisons are probably your best bet, as the rest is just spec and features.

make sure your windows audio source to just 2 channel / stereo for any of these comparison vids if you already have existing hardware that does it.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CDgwtVcbg
Thanks, I did my homework and I know what I bought, down to the chips used in the GSX 1000. :)

So far I have found only 2 reviews on YouTube that I (somewhat) trust and I don't trust any of the actual YouTube recordings, because things can go wrong on so many levels. One most important is that they don't use headphones for recordings.

Audio is very subjective. I've read reports from people that sent the Sennheiser back and I've seen people say that Creative sucks.

Blowing away the fine veil of dust from this thread for an update: decided to make a little jaunt to a thrift store this morning to search for a "new" tank for turtle copilot, I found the tank but (most importantly for the thread) I also found something other of interest, literally abandoned in a corner of a showcase amidst the usual bunch of multimedia paraphernalia commonly found in such stores:

For 133 €, I just couldn't left them gathering dust in that showcase (currently sold for 212 € on Amazon Italy)...more so when at the check-out I discovered the actual price was brought down to 100 €, since the thing was sitting there since the start of May!
Completely intact, in their full package and with the full complement of accessories (3 meters cable, additional coiled one, 3.5-6.3 mm adapter and cloth bag). Tried on the fly with my smartphone (FLAC Pink Floyd's "Echoes" greatest on a LG G7 ThinQ's remarkable DAC), sounding like a dream come true.

Mind you, as I wrote at the start of this thread I don't have any particularly high end audio gear on my desktop pc, so I wasn't sure the ancient X-Fi could drive properly a pair of 62 Ohm studio-quality speakers, without additional amplification. Luckily it does, even though I'm pretty sure these beasts are still performing well below their true potential if plugged to some proper equipment.

A bit of EQ adjustments, I launch Elite, go into options, "Full Range" audio and DTS enabled.

I've been playing Elite for 1700 hours, but it's like I started to really play only this evening. This is the Oculus Rift but for ears. Holy mother of all that's holy, the tiny Bose earbuds sounded crisp, clear and overall very good, but this, this is something different. Was parked at Palin in my Viper (engineering updates for the coming BRC race), took off and flown a bit around the base; literally every little creak of the hull, every little click and buzz and humming of the ship's system, the glorious Viper's growl, not overwhelming above every other sound like in every other speaker I've had until now (Bose aside maybe), but still definitely there and well spaced in the audio environment.
Then I got back to space and around a Coriolis, and tried a bit of FA Off, and there I was literally blown away by the audio experience. What a flawless job the audio team made with this game.

Also, how on Earth could someone leave such a pair of headphones, and in that pristine condition, abandoned in a thrift store...not the first time I make some kind of bargain in such places, but this time I feel like I definitely got lucky!

I hope we can all agree that the sound engineers did (and are still doing) an amazing job in ED.

I'm curious to hear from you how important is sound for you in ED?
How do you produce and consume it?
Just using your motherboard or have you maybe invested in another sound card, internal or external?
Do you have some cheap PC speakers or are you a total Hi-Fi freak that has invested thousands of your local currency in your acoustic system and plays ED through it?
Maybe the same, but with headphones and external amp?

Does anyone have experience with Sennheiser GSX 1000?
Sound, physics and the stellar forge are the outstanding pillars of ED. All the rest is mediocre at best.
I'm using headphones most of the times: Teufel AUREOL REAL (very linear, dynamic, comfortable and affordable). There's another one from the same vendor (from Berlin) for a more bassy spectrum which might be better for music or people who just like that. I'm still very pleased with the one I got.

Here's a tiny example of some of ED's exceptional sound details. Pay attention to how the sound changes when passing the open part of the beacon at 0:26 (this is btw 4940 Ly from home and a proof that objects still exist outside of POIs, unfortunately no PG content):
Source: https://youtu.be/HiwAgoXRjag

Last edited:
I hope we can all agree that the sound engineers did (and are still doing) an amazing job in ED.

I'm curious to hear from you how important is sound for you in ED?
How do you produce and consume it?
Just using your motherboard or have you maybe invested in another sound card, internal or external?
Do you have some cheap PC speakers or are you a total Hi-Fi freak that has invested thousands of your local currency in your acoustic system and plays ED through it?
Maybe the same, but with headphones and external amp?

Does anyone have experience with Sennheiser GSX 1000?
My turtle beach headset provides plenty of pounding bass and the sound in this game is the best I have experienced in any game. Doom 3 was amazing but elite dangerous is something else.. nothing short of amazing

The sound is the best!!! the first time I dropped into glide and heard the hual buckeling and my cargo shifting turbins spooling down I was in heaven. H ow each ship sounds so differant many times after getting a new ship I was like UM what was that lol

DDastardly00

D
I used to play through surround sound but since February, I invested in a pair of Turtle Beach Recon (60?) headphones and the game is so much more immersive to me now.

I agree that Elite's sound design is one of the best aspects of the game. Sound is important to me, I get immersed in it easily perhaps in some part due to having absolute/perfect pitch and tonal synesthesia. Some part of me wishes I would've gone into sound design and engineering for a career, I took studio classes and have composed music on many platforms, I also have a home studio that I record on.

I use a pair of equalized BD 990s. They really could do with a bit of amplification though as my PC is scarecely able to power those 250 ohm drivers. I have them equalized using HeSuVi to bring down the overbearing treble, they are as neutral as possible as I use them to mix and master music.

Elite has by far the best sound design I have ever heard in any game or film, it's phenomenal and I am really happy that for once, a game studio has not overlooked the importance of audio.
250 ohm shouldn't be a problem for a headphone amplifier.

Top Bottom