Sound track

I had no prior experience composing soundtracks. Creating the sound effects was a challenge all on its own, but the music was a far greater task than I initially anticipated. Luckily for me, the lengthy development cycle gave me time to learn and experiment with a lot of different ideas.....

Last edited:
I've stumbled upon Far Away Trains PAssing By quite a few years ago in my quest to find strange and unknown music... really love it. I have it on for background music now and them so I can imagine it could be part of a game. Not sure if it has enough SPACE ringing to it though but other work of him might. I'll check out the links above.

Great stuff by Schnauss... Don't forget to mention this near 7 minutes flying through space on it...

For the furthest outreaches on explorer missions, I would value tunes from Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works II. A classic indeed.

That clip I recall as the intro to the movie Contact but then in reverse :) Took me a while before I recognized it but still I was kicking myself with "I know this, where's this from?!!?!?" :)

The music is generally recognizable as Schnauss which is basically a good thing... it can become a bore if everything sounds the same though...

I would like Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to do the soundtrack. Their take on 'In The Hall Of The Mountain King' in The Social Network was outstanding piece of music and the ambient feel to the rest of the tracks was superb.

Their collaboration for Girl With A Dragon Tattoo was again more ambient with a couple of vocal tracks thrown in. However the ambience had a harsher, edgier feel as was appropriate for the tone of the movie.

Give me a great selection of classic music split into "event directories" to follow previous theme, then a programmable system for users to enhance the player itself. Like:
1) Continue previous track when current event has ended, rather than restart or start another one.
2) Being able to detect "visual mode"; if I want to have "cockpit speakers" the two channels should be "localized in 3D space" and react to head movement. If I want "cockpit headset" the sound follows my rotation (no change in sound). If I enter a space suit, maybe I want the sound with me? Maybe I want the possibility to automute any music playing while in 3rd person to enhance my realism feel? In general, highly programmable through a scripting language.
3) Crossfade speed between tracks.
4) A good selection of volume (and stereo balance) controls. Some games only have music on/off - completely unacceptable!!!!!!!! That forces me to play without music when I know they have good music but too loud for my liking.
5) Customizable sound mixer (if at all possible, dunno): Music out this port, voice out that port, and sound effects a third port. I.e. cockpit speaker music to my front speakers, voice to my headset, and sound effects through the surround system.

Guess I'm more interested in the "sound technology" used in the game than in the chosen tracks. As for track selection alone; as long as I'm able to put in whatever I feel like easily from my own collection, I'll be happy.

Top Bottom