Space Engineers - "Open" Changes Everything

Accursed Daylight Savings Time... it's a good thing I had today off!

Anyhoo...

Saturday Morning

I spent the morning adding a storage facility to my Starbase, in preparation of moving the rest of my stuff off planet. As nice as prototyping things may be at times, I actually have more fun doing this kind of thing live... especially when I don't have a lot of time to play, or I've got multiple games competing for my attention. At the very least, I can pay attention to the chat... assuming anyone is online at 5am, of course.

I spent my evening session continuing my return to civilization, via Colonia, in Elite: Dangerous. It's been over a month since I'd last actually played the game, and I forgot how satisfying it is to fly ships in VR in that game.

Sunday Morning

I started the morning by dismantling the now empty supply rocket.

Once that was done, the pieces squirreled away in my storeroom, I used my jetpack to return to the planet. I stopped at my Starbird for a quick charge, and to realign the solar panels.

On the way down, I kept an eye on the ice below, trying to see at what point my ice mining operation became obvious. While Keen may have done a much better job with voxel level of detail, there's still plenty of room for improvement. In the picture below, I'm at 5km up, and the "crater" my base is in is about twenty times the size of the ice I've dug up.

At my ice mining operation, I decided I wanted to do a little more exploring of the Alien World. I also wanted to take a closer look at that "enemy" base. So I manufactured the first weapons I've ever made on this server: a "precise" rifle, and several magazines of ammo. In order to manufacture weapons, though, I needed magnesium. Thankfully, I had bookmarked several deposits already.

On the way back with a ship full of magnesium ore, I decided to stop at the site of my old base. The server had already reset the voxels, so it was as if that base had never existed in the first place. It's barely been a week! :(

I then flew roughly north for the rest of my morning session. I had gotten about a quarter of the way around the planet (give or take) when it was approaching time to log out, so I used the medical supplies from my cryo-kit to make a survival kit, which allowed me to set up a camp/charging station. I was near the mountains, so I also added a H2/O2 generator, to fill up my personal hydrogen tank. In the future, I'll bring two large tubes, as well as twelve small tubes, so I don't have to build an assembler in situ.

It’s the alien world. It’s not a true aurora, in the sense that it’s confined to the poles, but this glowing phenomenon is in the sky quite frequently.
Was there once but there were constant spider scuttling around. Too much of annoyance. Mostly audial. Now that I mentioned Auroras - Valheim could use some. When I saw my first one in Skyrim it almost made me cry.

I had an opportunity to play last night, so I continued towards the “enemy base” that was on the far side of the planet. Once again, I was reminded that I had landed on the bland side of the alien world...

Eventually, I arrived at the “enemy base.” My approach from the north provided much more cover than my western one did. Interestingly enough, about 15km out, I had a “streaming content” message, which meant something was loading in close by, but I saw no obvious signs of player activity within 5km of that point. 🤷‍♀️

After converting my cryo-chamber to a survival kit, I set off to sate my curiosity. I managed to maintain cover until I got within 350 meters. Despite risking “enemy” fire several times, I wasn’t shot at. The “enemy base” looked rather slapdash from that distance. A newbie base, perhaps? That would explain the antennas “shouting” its presence to anyone within 40km, and the many misaligned solar panels. 🤔

After dashing from “tree” to “tree,” and still not being shot at, I got close enough to see smoke from the base. It seemed that I wasn’t the only to investigate this base.

Emboldened, I moved closer. There were two turrets visible, and neither one fired at me. I was tempted to “double tap” them to make sure, but I wasn’t really interested in griefing a probable newbie, even if they shot at me first! After all, I could’ve disabled one of his turrets simply by shooting the lattice it was resting on!

After I turned the corner, I quickly died from the active turret on that side. ;)

Curiosity satisfied, I moved on to the other reason I was in the area there: to see if the trading post had more platinum for sale. It turned out they did... and the refined stuff to boot!

Between selling all the components they were willing to buy, and and what I’d saved up, I was able to buy 19 kilograms of pure, refined platinum! I just wouldn’t be able to recharge the Dragonfly’s batteries using wind power. Thankfully, by the time I logged in for the night, it turned out still I had 60 days of idle Uranium power on hand... or 11 hours of flight time.

Seized another brief window to play last night, so I would be sure that my character got back to base before the Odyssey Alpha started. Uranium makes a nice, compact backup power source, but I prefer to rely on renewables for main vehicle power. Sure, I had uranium for weeks, but waste not, want not!

The overall trip was uneventful... for me. Meanwhile, on the other side of the proverbial solar system, a new player had suddenly found himself in trouble, with no way to get back to base. He'd flipped his rover over, and didn't think to bring a spare hydrogen bottle with him, and found himself trapped on the side of a mountain. Despite several players attempting walk him through rescuing himself, and one trying to rescue him directly... he eventually chose to suicide back to base.

It was daylight during the entirety of my trip back to my own base, and most of it was spent navigating a maze of mountain valleys, so I was I really grateful for the distraction... because things were really dull, both visually, and event wise. As I approached my launch site, though, I managed to to take a picture of this game's improved, though still flawed, voxel level of detail in action:

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e157Ner90

No doubt about it... without @Old Duck, I’m definitely getting an “I’m just about done” vibe from this game. The upcoming Odyssey Alpha and release isn’t helping things, nor are updates to Surviving Mars, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, and a few other games on my list as well.

At any rate, the last three days have been running missions from my local NPC faction to acquire thruster components, so I can recycle them for their platinum.

I’ve also been working on my second supply rocket. Mostly by salvaging my ice mining operation.

I’m planning on making this rocket into a proper space ship, so I installed an oxygen tank.

I recently learned that beds can also be used to log out... assuming they’re in an oxygen rich environment, of course. So the cryopods were the first to be salvaged, followed by the medical bay. I attached a survival kit to the rocket as a backup.

Sooner than expected, I was tearing down my sole building down to its foundations, and started using the Dragonfly’s cryopod to log out. I also dismantled my faithful Ant.

Have you ever had a look at Valheim? Has 100 times more soul than SE and feels very organic. Pretty hardcore survival game if that's your thing. The game literally burst upon me just as I was about to start hating open-world sandbox games. That was the cure. Works really well for solo players like me too.

But be careful! It works like cocaine on me. My daily sleep quota is currently around 3 hours.
Btw, I have no doubt that Odyssey will look beautiful. But gameplay? Little hope. Valheim has everything Odyssey will lack, remember what I said.
I'm no hardcore death-seeker tryhard, but in terms of survival I can only recommend Long Dark. No tweakable terrain but the atmo is unmatched. Has weather and is merciless. The highest difficulty really changes the game without using cheap HP inflation. I truly enjoyed most of the PTs - and most ended in catastrophe. No zombies!

Is not quite the same as Space Engineers, but sailing alone along the coast (hopefully) in the night and suddenly fog falls - is definitely on the top moments in survival with Valheim.

Played some more Space Engineers over the last couple of days, even saw "Harry" back on my main server! However, something is currently screwy with the server so it is running slow again :(

What is up with companies offering "official" services that are rubbish? Keens official servers are some of the worst when it comes to performance and stability, but that's where people tend to go by default. Likewise, Frontier's official Bug Tracker is utter rubbish, especially when compared to third party tools. Back to SE, I continue to look for a good private server to join, but most are loaded with tons of mods which I prefer not getting bogged down with.

Oh, and Casey's server deleted all my stuff outright, so I won't be going back there....

To everyone suffering buyer's remorse for Odyssey, I just want to say that Space Engineers has great lighting, fluid frame rates, ship interiors, true zero gravity EVA, base-building, non-bullet-sponge FPS combat, and the list goes on. Except Sleepy Pete, we don't have him.

..... and dead cowboys

1621465753838.png

Oops. Wrong 'Verse. I mean the super creepy got-caught-in-the-Pennywise-Clown-deadlights-at-a-POI kind :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/moedbb Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/moedbb/found_a_floating_dead_body_at_a_poi_with_a_cowboy/

Was there once but there were constant spider scuttling around. Too much of annoyance. Mostly audial. Now that I mentioned Auroras - Valheim could use some. When I saw my first one in Skyrim it almost made me cry.
This
Next to RDR2, Skyrim (well my heavily modded version of the game which put the weather & celestial environment on steroids) had to be the best game that show cased this stellar phenomena. There was this exteremely popular mod by Gamwich called the Ethereal Auroras which produces random Borealis effects. Gamwich's mod did an incredible job with the static vanilla night skybox. It literally made the skybox dynamic. Stars twinkled, auororas sincillated, and the Milky Way cosmos arrested your attention from the sky the instant of nightfall. Which wasn't every night, so it made the aurora appearance a special sky gazing night treat.

You didn't expereince the true awesomeness of this mod unless you were at the right (higher) latitudes on the map (in Northern cities like Whiterun, Solitude, and Windhelm). My Dark Brotherhood/Master Theif guild master PC always ended up being distracted with his star gazing when at higher altitudes on the map. Especially torturesome if he was trying to do a midnight snack run to satiate his Vampire Lord apettite. :LOL:

Perfect example was Whiterun at night when the weather conditions were just right for scincillation in the upper atmosphere:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

ED Milky Way viewed from Tamriel in Skyrim at higher/aurora prone latitudes (Winterhold, Raven Rock, Markarth, Solestheim)
4.jpg

Regular ED Milky Way viewed from Tamriel in Skyrim at lower latitudes (Riften, Falkenreath)
5.jpg

Makes me wonder whether this mod could be adapted/reconstruted in code structure to SE (with author's permission).

Gamwich has to be one of the best Skyrim environmental/weather modders to date IMO. Granted what FDev has accomplished to date with the atmospheric lighting is amazing immersion with the transformation to EDO. But if only they could hire gifted artists like this. Use RNG and proc gen to randomize nebulas, borealis etc. on random planets and star systems across the galaxy. The Milky Way viewd from planets would be mind numbing. o_O

Last edited:
I'm SO tempted to start my own SE server, but it's not a trivial cost. I'm talking about renting the hardware, not build a physical server in my own house (I don't have the bandwidth).

In the meantime, I have found renewed enjoyment on CA-2, as there's new things to be found and new players to interact with.

I'm SO tempted to start my own SE server, but it's not a trivial cost. I'm talking about renting the hardware, not build a physical server in my own house (I don't have the bandwidth).

In the meantime, I have found renewed enjoyment on CA-2, as there's new things to be found and new players to interact with.
I’ll have to log in tomorrow, and see if my stuff is still there. No big loss if it isn’t.

I’m also going to give Odyssey a proper workout tomorrow as well. So far, the most taxing thing I’ve done is visit the promenades of two stations, and fly between them. The real workout will exploring the rest of the way to the Bubble.

I’ll have to log in tomorrow, and see if my stuff is still there. No big loss if it isn’t.
It might still be there. I stuck an LCD on your wall with a message a long time ago, and I've been logging in enough to keep my assets alive. We're also in the same faction, so that might help as well. I'll be very curious what find!

My little base on CA1 is gone, however. As you say, no big loss.

I logged back onto the official Au server the other day, most of the people there I played together with years ago. Most remembered me. So much fun.

only thing I miss is some of the more faction/exploration related mods in the vanilla servers

Having some serious sadness over Space Engineers. Logged into official server today, and sim speed was terrible - 60%. When I commented about it, someone said Keen did this on purpose to reduce connection problems.. What? I've been on plenty of servers running at 100% with no lag. Typical Keen running potato servers and relying on gimmicks to make them work. That's pretty much the last straw for using their servers :(

Sad thing is that most of the private servers have silly easy multipliers or way too many mods. Casey's server has gone from hard to impossible, with zero jetpacks (I can understand nerfing them, but removing them totally is DOA for me, especially in space). So I either need to buy my own server to get what I want, or go back to solo which is ultimately boring IMO.

I'm tired of companies taking good games and killing them!!!!!!! Really burns my beard.. :mad:

Top Bottom