Species Field Guide - Qianzhousaurus

Tim Smith

Lead Community Manager
Welcome back, Park Managers, to our latest Species Field Guide!

In this series of articles, we will be spotlighting and discussing some of the incredible dinosaurs and reptiles you will be caring for and bioengineering in Jurassic World Evolution 2. With over 75 different species of prehistoric animals available in the game, you'll be meeting both new and familiar faces, and we are incredibly excited to share them with you!

Last time saw the re-introduction to an iconic flying reptile: Pteranodon. This week we're moving back to ground level to introduce you to another newcomer to Jurassic World Evolution 2's roster of dinosaurs: Qianzhousaurus, cousin of the mighty T. rex.

Qianzhousaurus is a genus of medium sized tyrannosaurid dinosaur that lived in China during the late Cretaceous period. The dinosaur is a fairly recent discovery, found in Qianzhou, China in 2010 during the construction of an industrial park. Uncovering the fossil eventually lead to the conclusion that long-snouted tyrannosaurs were a distinct breed, and not juvenile tyrannosaurs who hadn't grown into their adult snouts! Its snout is 35% longer than other dinosaurs of its size, and research is still ongoing about the evolutionary advantage of such a long snout.

JWE2_Qianzhousaurus_Screenshots_02_960x540.jpg

Qianzhousaurus was a carnivore like its cousin, the T. rex, albeit with a slightly weaker jaw and bite. Being carnivorous, and a keen hunter, they prefer to chase live prey, but will also eat meat from standard carnivore feeders if they're hungry.

A social animal, this dinosaur prefers staying with their own kind only, with a small social group as a bare minimum. Make sure they don't get lonely! They won't, however, get along with other carnivores, so it might be a good idea to keep them to their own enclosure, or have enough space for other species to stay outside their territory so a fight doesn't break out. As long as they're happy within their own area, with plenty of water surrounding them, they shouldn't give you too much trouble!

We are very excited to reveal Qianzhousaurus to the community. We think both you and your guests will enjoy this fascinating dinosaur. Will you be bio-engineering them for your parks? Let us know in the comments below!

There are even more dinosaurs and reptiles to reveal in the coming weeks and months, and we can't wait to see your reactions. Be prepared to see both new and familiar faces as we highlight a small portion of the ancient animals you will be able to bioengineer in Jurassic World Evolution 2. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back, Park Managers, to our latest Species Field Guide!

In this series of articles, we will be spotlighting and discussing some of the incredible dinosaurs and reptiles you will be caring for and bioengineering in Jurassic World Evolution 2. With over 75 different species of prehistoric animals available in the game, you'll be meeting both new and familiar faces, and we are incredibly excited to share them with you!

Last time saw the re-introduction to an iconic flying reptile: Pteranodon. This week we're moving back to ground level to introduce you to another newcomer to Jurassic World Evolution 2's roster of dinosaurs: Qianzhousaurus, cousin of the mighty T. rex.

Qianzhousaurus is a genus of medium sized tyrannosaurid dinosaur that lived in China during the late Cretaceous period. The dinosaur is a fairly recent discovery, found in Qianzhou, China in 2010 during the construction of an industrial park. Uncovering the fossil eventually lead to the conclusion that long-snouted tyrannosaurs were a distinct breed, and not juvenile tyrannosaurs who hadn't grown into their adult snouts! It's snout is 35% longer than other dinosaurs of its size, and research is still ongoing about the evolutionary advantage of such a long snout.

Qianzhousaurus was a carnivore like its cousin, the T. rex, albeit with a slightly weaker jaw and bite. Being carnivorous, and a keen hunter, they prefer to chase live prey, but will also eat meat from standard carnivore feeders if they're hungry.

A social animal, this dinosaur prefers staying with their own kind only, with a small social group as a bare minimum. Make sure they don't get lonely! They won't, however, get along with other carnivores, so it might be a good idea to keep them to their own enclosure, or have enough space for other species to stay outside their territory so a fight doesn't break out. As long as they're happy within their own area, with plenty of water surrounding them, they shouldn't give you too much trouble!

We are very excited to reveal Qianzhousaurus to the community. We think both you and your guests will enjoy this fascinating dinosaur. Will you be bio-engineering them for your parks? Let us know in the comments below!

There are even more dinosaurs and reptiles to reveal in the coming weeks and months, and we can't wait to see your reactions. Be prepared to see both new and familiar faces as we highlight a small portion of the ancient animals you will be able to bioengineer in Jurassic World Evolution 2. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2!
Good surprise! Amazing!

Wha? So much awesome (very different looking) dinosaurs still needing a place in this game, and we get another T.Rex wannabe... A bit disappointed...

But give people a big carnivore and they are all cheering, well except for me then...

what I'm really hoping for well is maybe we will see a Cryolophosaurus in Jurassic world Evolution 2.....Hmmmm I Wonder😃
That dinosaur would have been so much more interesting than the Q-Rex we got now. But probably the Crylophosaurus is behind a expansion-wall or not in the game at all... They seem to be on the ignore-wall together with Therizinosaurus, to hard to animate or just hated by the creators.

Qianzhousaurus has a body plan similar to Gorgosaurus and probably hunted the same way as well non armored herbivores is probably this dinosaurs main prey. This dinosaur may have even scavenged kills made by Tarbosaurus since they did live in the same environment. There was a niche between these two great predators of Asia one Tarbosaurus was capable of hunting and killing armored dinosaurs with a powerful bone-crushing bite like T-Rex but then again Tarbosaurus was a subspecies of T-Rex while Qianzhousaurus was capable of hunting hadrosaurs and other easy prey.

Last edited:
I’ve known this dinosaur for a while, and there’s even a figure I know of from a toy line I know of myself.

But, what is surprising for me is to see it being in the game alone! It’s the last dinosaur I would think about or expect being in it at launch! And since something like that is to be expected in the game, then that make me wonder what else unexpected would be revealed down the line, if any?

Last edited:
It is nice to see frontier add dinosaurs that many people don't know about. I wouldn't think that frontier would add this dinosaur so keep up the surprises frontier!!!

It’s a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

This dinosaur is a wonderful addition to the game not only because it has disproven all of 4chan's species roster leaks, but also because this dinosaur was discovered by Steve Brusatte, who is a palaeontological consultant for Jurassic World: Domminion!

Top Bottom