Species Spotlight: Secretary Bird

220892221.jpg

The Secretary Bird (Sagitarrius Serpentarius) is a member of the family of birds where Eagles, Hawks, Falcons, and Vultures are from. The Secretary Bird has a primarily terrestrial way of life, using its long legs to hunt snakes and trot menacingly across the savannahs of Africa. When they hunt snakes they puff out their wings and make themselves look bigger than they actually are to distract the snake. Once the snake is focused on the bird's wings the Secretary Bird kicks the snake with their specifically built stilt legs that usually kill the snake on the first blow. They are still capable of flight and fly to the tops of Acacia trees to nest. They aren't especially social except for breeding where they form monogamist pairs. I first learned of the Secretary Bird in Zoo Tycoon 2's African Adventure pack and since then I have been fascinated with this incredibly unique species. To my dismay, they have experienced a sharp decline in numbers, leading them to go from lower risk just a decade ago, to now endangered. :( The primary causes for this sharp decline are habitat degradation and fragmentation. The sharp decline is worrying a lot of conservationists. I would love for this species to be represented in Planet Zoo and their plight to be heard and given a spotlight in the game. I hope you guys enjoyed learning about these unique birds as much I did.

I would absolutely love it to see this beautiful Bird in the Game. Didn't know that they are building their Nests in Trees. I've expected them to build their Nests on the Ground. I assume thanks to them not flying very much, it could be possible to include them in a similar Way to how they've included the Flamingo and maybe they could get a flying Update in the Future.

I've just imagined how awesome a Trailer for a Bird/Aviary DLC would be where we first see some Birds in their Aviary and then it ends with seeing a Secretary Bird flying while the Camera Perspective is in a Way as if someone is looking up from the Ground, then the Bird flys to its Nest in a Tree and the Trailer ends

Last edited:
I would absolutely love it to see this beautiful Bird in the Game. Didn't know that they are building their Nests in Trees. I've expected them to build their Nests on the Ground. I assume thanks to them not flying very much, it could be possible to include them in a similar Way to how they've included the Flamingo and maybe they could get a flying Update in the Future.

I've just imagined how awesome a Trailer for a Bird/Aviary DLC would be where we first see some Birds in their Aviary and then it ends with seeing a Secretary Bird flying while the Camera Perspective is in a Way as if someone is looking up from the Ground, then the Bird flys to its Nest in a Tree and the Trailer ends
Let’s hope that trailer idea comes true in some shape! ;) They could definitely work with the games current mechanics if it came to that though!

It never ceases to amaze me how much of an impact the Zoo Tycoon games had in the current player base of Planet Zoo. It almost feels as if real life zoos never existed and are definitely not visited by millions of people around the world each day.

I would never be oppose to any bird species added to this game, as I love them all, and certainly not the Secretary Bird, a truly majestic raptor. However, they are not all that common in zoological collections in comparison to many other African bird species, and for good reason, as they are not the easiest birds to keep. They do not mix well with other African species of birds or mammals as they can get quite aggressive. During the days of Bush Gardens Tampa being renamed Bush Gardens Africa (for a limited time) they attempted introducing this species to their expansive African Savannah exhibit, and it was a total failure. You can not clip their wings as it is the case with other Savannah avian residents, so open air exhibits are almost out of the question. Since they do not group well with others, they would not make for a good candidate to create mix African Savannah exhibits. The best bet with these raptors is to create single specific exhibits designated to house them, and we would definitely need a revamp of the current barriers to include mesh, or receive the mesh pieces as scenery items.

In any case I have a very long list of birds I would absolutely love to see in this game before the Secretary Bird. In African along, I would prefer all of the species listed below, since all of them can mixed well with other animals included in the game, and would make great additions to African Savannah mixed exhibits. The saddest part of all this, is that at the current four species a DLC, none of this magnificent birds will probably make it into the game.

Marabou Stork
AfricanbirdMarabou-Stork-37RCS.jpg

Grey Crowned Crane
AfricanbirdCrowned-Crane-cropped-900x350.jpg

Blue Crane
Africanbirdbluecrane.jpg

Saddle-Billed Stork
Africanbirdsaddlebill2.jpg

White-backed vulture
AfricabirdWhitebackedvulture.jpg

Hammerkop
Africanbirdhammerhead.jpg

African Openbill Stork
africabird1550px-African_Openbill.jpg

Southern Ground Hornbill
AfricanbirdH_groundhornbills.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to have all those species in the game as well! Especially for mixing into our savannah habitats! However, my idea for the Secretary Bird wasn’t a mixed enclosure. It is focused enclosures on them specifically. It can definitely be done with the tools in the game currently (raise the chain link and create a roof for a simple example). They would definitely be even better with the mesh tools you described. (I’m still hoping to one day be able to build a lemur exhibit similar to San Diego Zoo’s Africa Rocks) Secretary Birds are found in captivity, for example the Toronto Zoo and San Diego Zoo, so it can certainly be done. It is a shame our packs are so limited, I would love to have a huge variety of animals to choose from in the game. While zoo tycoon has definitely had an influence on me as a gamer I’m not baselessly saying the game should become zoo tycoon. I’m still strongly opposed to extinct creatures and mythical animals and I am very much of the opinion that planet zoo should try to be it’s own thing. But the devs have said it is a spiritual successor and the fan base of zoo tycoon nearly all migrated to planet zoo, so it only makes sense that those games have a influence on the player base today.

I would love to have all those species in the game as well! Especially for mixing into our savannah habitats! However, my idea for the Secretary Bird wasn’t a mixed enclosure. It is focused enclosures on them specifically. It can definitely be done with the tools in the game currently (raise the chain link and create a roof for a simple example). They would definitely be even better with the mesh tools you described. (I’m still hoping to one day be able to build a lemur exhibit similar to San Diego Zoo’s Africa Rocks) Secretary Birds are found in captivity, for example the Toronto Zoo and San Diego Zoo, so it can certainly be done. It is a shame our packs are so limited, I would love to have a huge variety of animals to choose from in the game. While zoo tycoon has definitely had an influence on me as a gamer I’m not baselessly saying the game should become zoo tycoon. I’m still strongly opposed to extinct creatures and mythical animals and I am very much of the opinion that planet zoo should try to be it’s own thing. But the devs have said it is a spiritual successor and the fan base of zoo tycoon nearly all migrated to planet zoo, so it only makes sense that those games have a influence on the player base today.

I get it, I think they are beautiful birds, and definitely deserve a spot in the game, but the current format would more than likely exclude all of these species. I can see them adding an African Pelican as representation to the entire African continent. I'm sure they will probably add a Macaw or Toucan to represent South America, and also call it a day. Maybe an Andean Condor, an eagle or owl species, to represent all raptors in the world, and if we are truly lucky, one of the majestic Asian Hornbills. Unless something truly changes, and I mean really changes for the Avian dlc, there is absolutely no hope. Go figure, the most predominant resident species in zoos, birds, are the least represented in this game.

I get it, I think they are beautiful birds, and definitely deserve a spot in the game, but the current format would more than likely exclude all of these species. I can see them adding an African Pelican as representation to the entire African continent. I'm sure they will probably add a Macaw or Toucan to represent South America, and also call it a day. Maybe an Andean Condor, an eagle or owl species, to represent all raptors in the world, and if we are truly lucky, one of the majestic Asian Hornbills. Unless something truly changes, and I mean really changes for the Avian dlc, there is absolutely no hope. Go figure, the most predominant resident species in zoos, birds, are the least represented in this game.
Yea I definitely agree with you the game in its current form doesn’t really allow you to create a real zoo, only having big headline animals instead of all the birds and smaller animals that would take up the majority of the zoo. It’s definitely sad and I hope something major happens to change the game into a true zoo creation experience

However, they are not all that common in zoological collections in comparison to many other African bird species
I don't know how often they are kept in AZA Zoos but there are 43 EAZA Zoos that keep them. Animals that are rare in American Zoos can be relatively common in Zoos on another Continent and reversed. I assume that they would also be the most likely Raptor to be included in the Game due to how rarely they fly compared to other Species. But I also want to say that all of the Species you've shown would also be great. I would especially like the Marabou (which is very common in Captivity where I live) , the Ground Hornbill and the White-backed Vulture.

I don't know how often they are kept in AZA Zoos but there are 43 EAZA Zoos that keep them. Animals that are rare in American Zoos can be relatively common in Zoos on another Continent and reversed. I assume that they would also be the most likely Raptor to be included in the Game due to how rarely they fly compared to other Species. But I also want to say that all of the Species you've shown would also be great. I would especially like the Marabou (which is very common in Captivity where I live) , the Ground Hornbill and the White-backed Vulture.
The Maribou and Grey Crowned are serious wants for me as well!

That is definitely true, but even in European zoos I would not call that common. In Germany along, there are over 300 zoos, and well over 800 private and public facilities that hold animal collections, so 43 is not a big number. As far as flying, the white backed vulture is usually displayed in open air mixed exhibits, as it is very easy to manage, as most facilities clip the wings. Like I said, nothing against the Secretary bird, it is a colorful and majestic raptor, I just rather they included some of the birds that can be part of mixed savannah exhibits. It looks like a graveyard right now.

Yea I definitely agree with you the game in its current form doesn’t really allow you to create a real zoo, only having big headline animals instead of all the birds and smaller animals that would take up the majority of the zoo. It’s definitely sad and I hope something major happens to change the game into a true zoo creation experience
I agree with you, we need variations to be able to pick our animals to create our own unique zoos. However as mentioned I don't see that happening with our current 4 habit animals and 1 exhibit animal. If that don't change there is no hope for a lot of animals out there.

Sad, but true.
Unless someone manage to mod in new animals into the game.

I agree with you, we need variations to be able to pick our animals to create our own unique zoos. However as mentioned I don't see that happening with our current 4 habit animals and 1 exhibit animal. If that don't change there is no hope for a lot of animals out there.

Sad, but true.
Unless someone manage to mod in new animals into the game.
Yea I really hope they take our feedback

I think a lot of the animals that were chosen for ZT depended on the creators’ opportunities to observe their motion patterns and behavior. San Diego Zoo was one of the zoos used during the development (just as it was for PZ) and many of my favorite animals from SD Zoo made their way into ZT such as the secretary bird or addax. The secretary birds are kept by themselves in a smaller enclosure, which makes them much easier to observe close up than vultures, storks, cranes living in a larger enclosure with lots of other animals. Sometimes, mere practical considerations play a big role in the selection of animals.

I think a lot of the animals that were chosen for ZT depended on the creators’ opportunities to observe their motion patterns and behavior. San Diego Zoo was one of the zoos used during the development (just as it was for PZ) and many of my favorite animals from SD Zoo made their way into ZT such as the secretary bird or addax. The secretary birds are kept by themselves in a smaller enclosure, which makes them much easier to observe close up than vultures, storks, cranes living in a larger enclosure with lots of other animals. Sometimes, mere practical considerations play a big role in the selection of animals.
Ah that explains a lot! Such as the addition of gerenuks!

Top Bottom